KyleKap19

Linear comps

I run a Levang on my current build. Love it and for the $ it is tough to beat.

Want to switch it up on the next build but stay in the linear comp family as I dont care for blasting the person next to me.

Anyway, does anyone have experience with these?

http://www.kawvalleyprecision.com/kvp-comps.html

I dont trust Amazon but this was nice looking:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00KBXC694/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?qid=1418510413&sr=8-2π=AC_SY200_QL40

And of course there is Kies:

http://www.joeboboutfitters.com/KIES_Blast_Master_Linear_Compensator_p/kies-blst%20mstr22.htm

A few months ago I researched linear comps for a 14" M4gery build.  Based on reviews mostly, Levang, Kies, Kaw and Claymore all seemed to be about the same.  As best I can tell it comes down to which one you like the looks of the most.

Short answer is yes.  However it's hardened steel, bring your tooling.

Or, tape some good sandpaper to a flat surface and spend some quality time.  A little cold blue and/or paint and you should be good to go.

C

Yeah I've read it snags on range bags. Wonder if you could just grind down the spikes.

The question I have is why? I think if eliminating blast is your only concern perhaps you are not taking advantage of what a muzzle device is actually for.

The "Why" is so that I dont blast or concuss those in the lane next to me indoors or out. Thats primarily the reason ... was at efga the other day and not sure what break it was but it was annoying as all hell

Ok. I'll say this in the gentlest way I can and please don't misunderstand it as criticism but guns are loud.  Compensators are loud.  The thing is that the loud part is kinda why they work, it is a by product of being effective at controlling muzzle movement. Proper hearing protection at a shooting range is important and air and gases blasting around can be ignored.

I guess what I'm saying is that we live in NJ where compensator choices are final for a given barrel and possibly auxiliary equipment and to my mind choosing a muzzle device based on the comfort of others who choose to go to a shooting range and might be bothered by loud noises is a remarkable lost opportunity to get a more useful benefit from your muzzle device.

Putting an effective muffler on your street car is considerate and mighty decent. Putting an effective muffler on a race car that only gets driven on the track seems strange to me.

Sure, I want every one else on the range to use the quietest gentlest muzzle attachment, it will make my day quieter. I will use one that is effective at controlling muzzle movement. Sorry about the noise.

Ok. I'll say this in the gentlest way I can and please don't misunderstand it as criticism but guns are loud. Compensators are loud. The thing is that the loud part is kinda why they work, it is a by product of being effective at controlling muzzle movement. Proper hearing protection at a shooting range is important and air and gases blasting around can be ignored.

I guess what I'm saying is that we live in NJ where compensator choices are final for a given barrel and possibly auxiliary equipment and to my mind choosing a muzzle device based on the comfort of others who choose to go to a shooting range and might be bothered by loud noises is a remarkable lost opportunity to get a more useful benefit from your muzzle device.

Putting an effective muffler on your street car is considerate and mighty decent. Putting an effective muffler on a race car that only gets driven on the track seems strange to me.

Sure, I want every one else on the range to use the quietest gentlest muzzle attachment, it will make my day quieter. I will use one that is effective at controlling muzzle movement. Sorry about the noise.

No criticism at all! And I totally get it - I have fired ARs with brakes and theyre great - I believe one was a Michukek and the other was a Rock river arms device.

Not sold 100% on linear again (I currently have a Levang) as I do want to do something different. Who know! Maybe a new brake will come out at SHOT 2015

I have a claymore on one of mine. Turns it into a cool flame thrower. But I did it just for kicks. If everyone is lined up at the line shooting and your muzzle is out front not next ears, tuff noogies. Everyone should have ear protection. If everyone is where they need to be, they should receive no fodder in the puss. :)

Put a comp on there to benefit you, not others.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

"Put a comp on there to benefit you, not others."

This all day long....

Comps/brakes are very subjective to the individual as to how well they work. The weight if the rifle, the ammo you are shooting, the length of the barrel and gas system all play a part as well. If you have two shooters blasting away on 4 rifles each with a different muzzle device, you will get 3 opinions as to which is better.

Like Vlad says guns are loud. This shouldn't be news to anyone. They'll get over it.

Unless you are fighting in and around cars or doing team CQB where your muzzle is very close to someone else's head/body and you are have to worry about the blast from your rifle affecting a teammate, you don't have to worry about it.

Buy a comp/brake that works for you, not because it is polite or considerate, and especially not because it is different/no one else has it. The fact that no one else has one is usually a clue.

Unless you are fighting in and around cars or doing team CQB where your muzzle is very close to someone else's head/body and you are have to worry about the blast from your rifle affecting a teammate, you don't have to worry about it.

This is very true but in that circumstance I would try very hard to get someone to buy me suppressors, as they do both jobs really well, they keep boom and blast away from others AND act as excellent comps. 

This is very true but in that circumstance I would try very hard to get someone to buy me suppressors, as they do both jobs really well, they keep boom and blast away from others AND act as excellent comps.

Tell me about it. I have been trying for 3 years to get them for work. Bosses think I just want "cool toys". Trying to explain the benefits for our job description and that a $600 suppressor is a lot less than the lawsuit when someone blasts an ear drum of a team member or victim/innocent/hostage.

Not to mention they reduce sympathetic firing, let's you communicate while engaged, distinctly differentiates incoming from outgoing, lowers risk of explosion in flammable/clan-lab/industrial settings. They are heavy and slow the gun down and while they increase accuracy slightly in the short range, they reduce velocity and terminal effects a bit... But that's another topic.

Anyway, the standard A2 birdcage actually works pretty well in this respect.

I have found that the FSC556 is the best of the bunch when looking at "tactical" brakes/comps for not beating up a team mate. The BattleComp is brutal in right spaces. I actually had the blast from a BC on my partners 11.5" barrel Colt knock my earpro off while shooting together in a car.

The linear comps are great for the blast but don't do much for felt recoil or reducing muzzle rise.

That PWS is fine per BATF.... Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Really? I thought we needed to take caution whenever flash suppression was used in the product description?

With that in mind, does BATF have a listing of gtg muzzle devices for communist states? lol

I actually like the dynacomp as a middle of the road comp. It isn't as blasty as full on competition comps but works better then a lot of others I've tried. 

For full on compensation and the blast be damned, the best bang for the buck is the Miculek comp.  It costs $40 and to get the same amount of muzzle control from other comps you end up spending $100 or more. The other uber effective comps I've played with are the Seekings Precision ATC, the Rolling Thunder, SJC Titan, and the Dynamic Resistance one. Of those 5 I would choose the Miculek or the DR in NJ, because neither have a high pressure chamber which is critically important with a pinned comp. The high pressure chamber ends up getting filled with powder residue, eventually flakes off and you end up with bullet baffle strikes that ruin the comp which becomes a project to fix. Usually outside NJ this isn't a horrible problem because you can take the comp off and clean it now and then, but for us thats a non starter. The Miculek and the DR comp allow you clean them all the way to the crown without removing them although some tetris skills come in handy, but it is doable. 

Edited to add, take a look at this:   http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2014/11/jeremy-s/556-muzzle-device-shootout/ (although this cares only about straight recoil reduction)

and these videos: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTuWZZwd0U5RI9oiWqEp-iQ

And here is a graph of a few competition grade comps overlayed: http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=204970#entry2276290

My understanding is it is good to go.

It fails the very scientific and repeatable "pinky test" of NJSP FAU :rolleyes: and the BATF has issued a letter stating that it is not a flash suppressor. If you contact them they will email you a copy. I am sure there are plenty of copies floating around the interwebs as well.

I actually like the dynacomp as a middle of the road comp. It isn't as blasty as full on competition comps but works better then a lot of others I've tried. 

For full on compensation and the blast be damned, the best bang for the buck is the Miculek comp.  It costs $40 and to get the same amount of muzzle control from other comps you end up spending $100 or more. The other uber effective comps I've played with are the Seekings Precision ATC, the Rolling Thunder, SJC Titan, and the Dynamic Resistance one. Of those 5 I would choose the Miculek or the DR in NJ, because neither have a high pressure chamber which is critically important with a pinned comp. The high pressure chamber ends up getting filled with powder residue, eventually flakes off and you end up with bullet baffle strikes that ruin the comp which becomes a project to fix. Usually outside NJ this isn't a horrible problem because you can take the comp off and clean it now and then, but for us thats a non starter. The Miculek and the DR comp allow you clean them all the way to the crown without removing them although some tetris skills come in handy, but it is doable. 

Edited to add, take a look at this:   http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2014/11/jeremy-s/556-muzzle-device-shootout/ (although this cares only about straight recoil reduction)

and these videos: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTuWZZwd0U5RI9oiWqEp-iQ

And here is a graph of a few competition grade comps overlayed: http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=204970#entry2276290

Great info thanks ... the DR looks great

Yeah I've read it snags on range bags. Wonder if you could just grind down the spikes.

FWIW the teeth on the Claymore are not sharp at all but rather rounded at the tip. Never had an issue with it snagging on anything when I had it and ran it through a class with gear on.

Also, they are extremely hard to drill through. At least that's what the smith pinning the Claymore and Medieval said. You need the right bit to drill into them.

Great info thanks ... the DR looks great

I have one on my competition rifle. I like it well enough, but if I had to do it again I'd save some money and get a Miculek, its cheaper and works as well, but the DR is prettier I suppose. 

The other cool thing about the Spike's Dynacomp is that it comes pre-drilled for pinning and even includes the pin.