Sign in to follow this  
dman2112

Ok. What do I do?

Black Friday lower sale prompted purchase. Needed another AR like a hole in the head. Now planning build and thinking some thing custom mid or rifle length in 6.5 Grendel or 300 BLK (leaning 16/middy)

Custom Duracoat camo, etc.

Thoughts on caliber?

Black Friday lower sale prompted purchase. Needed another AR like a hole in the head. Now planning build and thinking some thing custom mid or rifle length in 6.5 Grendel or 300 BLK (leaning 16/middy)

Custom Duracoat camo, etc.

Thoughts on caliber?

If we were in a state where you could suppress, 300 blackout would be great.  Alas, we're not.

I guess it boils down to what you have now.   If you're going to reload yourself, 6.5 Grendel is good but just getting casing for that caliber in any kind of quantity is tough right now.  I almost built one a few years ago and it was just going to turn into a hassle.

Maybe a pistol caliber?   .45ACP would be nifty :) although the barrel is realistically too long for a good burn with.45.     Maybe a little punch...7.62x25?   You'll get 1800FPS+ out of a 16 barrel with that and ammo is cheap.  Single shot .50BMG?   You'll be the only guy there with one, lol.

I have a 3oo blk and Until i move to a free state and swap out the barrel for shorty and suppressor (after tax stamps of course), it will not be able to fill its roll here in NJ. Still, it is an awesome caliber and fun to shoot. 763x39 is a fun build also and I think one day i'd like a 6.8spc. 

I have a Grendel and 16" isn't the best barrel length for it.  I am also building a 6mm with a 24" barrel for target.  If you are going to do a Grendel go at least 18" to get what you need out of it.