Iggyort

How To Estimate Range With a Reticle

Size of target in inches X 27.778 ÷ milliradian reading in your scope = distance to target in yards.

So following this formula, if I had a target that is 34 inches tall and reads as 4 mils, the rang would be 236.113 yards.

Since this formula is kinda just plug and play, if you had a DOPE chart with common target heights (paper targets, steel silhouettes, deer etc) you would just need to divide by mills and get the range. But how is height measure with mil dots? Is it from the top dot to the bottom of what ever?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your DATA book would contain common sizes of oridnary objects, approximate head width, MAM height, bricks, stop signs etc. If you know the size of common objects you don't even need a book. Your DOPE would be the amount of elevation you need to dial in or hold in your optic.

Laser range finder.

Seriously, they've gotten so cheap and compact that it makes no sense to screw with math in your head anymore for the purpose to range estimation. Give me a reticle that lets me work windage and elevation

Sickly based on knowing the range and I'll buy a range finder.

Scary - We agree again.  Mil-dots are too big for me to make precise bullet placement. I sight on 1" dots @ 300 for practice.

I use hash mark reticles.  They cost me a little more (75-100 per scope) but very precise for hold off.

Yep Range finder works for me.

Laser range finder.

Seriously, they've gotten so cheap and compact that it makes no sense to screw with math in your head anymore for the purpose to range estimation. Give me a reticle that lets me work windage and elevation quickly based on knowing the range and I'll buy a range finder.

You are correct. However , at many Precision Rifle Matches you have stages with unknown distances and it is up to the competitor to figuire out the distance without the use of a Range Finder.Typically in those type of stages the size of the target is provided.

For the non-mil-dot/mil-rad crowd-

When I graduated from a plain/fine crosshair reticle to a duplex reticle scope back in the 70's, this was good to learn:

http://artoftherifleblog.com/holding-for-elevation-part-ii/2011/11/holding-for-elevation-part-ii.html

I recall every Weaver, Redfield and Leupold manual that came packaged with the scope back then had similar instructions on how to use the duplex to judge range based on known objects. 18" of "deer" from top to bottom was the general rule of thumb as that was usually the intended quarry.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/articles/ranging-reticles-1.php

In addition to being able to use the formula, you also have to be proficient at ranging to within a tenth of a mil. Estjmating to a half or a quarter is not good enough.

From the center of one dot, to the center of the next is 1 mil. If you add a half dot, that is now 1.1 mil. If you range from the bottom edge of one dot to the far top edge of the next, you have 1.2 mils. From the inside edge of one dot, to the inside edge of the next is .8 mils. Each round (not oval) mil dot is .2 mils.

Eric