High Exposure

Can someone ID this?

A friend of mine received a double barreled shotgun. Double triggers On a side by side, and it is smaller than 12g, but I don't know what. 16g maybe (guessing by the "16" markings on the barrel). I can't find anything on it.

It has the following markings -

On the stock half:

2EB69335-22BF-4071-8BBD-2F20DBAB6489_zps

On the barrel half:

A2914434-7DBC-4389-9DA9-3107A3C8E296_zps

It also has a crown over a D on each barrel and there is some nice engraving of a hunting scene on the receiver and filigree on the trigger guard.

The ejector/extractor also seems to be broken, but I am not sure. I have zero experience with this type of firearm.

Can anyone offer some insight?

Thanks in advance.

Safe to shoot with modern ammo?

If you can find 2 9/16" 16 Ga ammo. Try Googling this because I have read that some guns so chambered will fit modern 2 3/4" shells, but I don't think I want to try that in my Model 12

HE -

I would have a gunsmith check the action before trying, but if it's tight and he gives the okay you should be fine with light 2 1/2" shells which will chamber and shoot fine in that gun.

Something like this would be fine:

http://www.rstshells.com/store/m/3-16-Gauge.aspx

I'd give Lou's in Raritan a phone call to see if they have a Smith, since they handle lots of doubles and have a good reputation.  

I know Griffin and Howe in Bernardsville handles old guns and will be glad to assist you.  It won't be "cheap", but they are the Experts in NJ on English guns!

Dave