Golf battery

Help Just got my hornady lnl

I would first check to ensure your not trying to de-prime berdan primed cases.

Second, What dies are you using? The lee dies that I use are designed to pop the pin out before you break it.

Third, are you going full speed from the ram down to up when trying to deprime? check to ensure the case is aligning with the pin properly, and use a slower more consistent pull rather then a fast and quick pull. It takes some pressure but not too much to pop the primers out unless they are crimped in.

Also spare pins are nifty to keep on hand.

The press may not be timed properly --  Go real slow in the down stroke -- Do you hear 2 clicks?

The 1st click is the end of the stroke on the handle " for lack of a better way to explain it" -- the second click is the alignment balls on the shell plate actually lining up in the detents

The idea is to have both operations stop at the same time -- There is info on this in the manual -- when going fast you kinda throw the shell plate into position if it's set up wrong

Now I know I'll jinx myself here but in 25 years of reloading I have never broken a depriming pin -- I do use a dedicated lee depriming die because I want my primers out before cleaning

Does the brass have crimped primers?  First time I deprime brass that i have not loaded i use a lee universal decapping die and a single stage press.  Have to clean up/swage the primer pockets anyway so........From then on, no problems.  Your LNL maybe out of time from the factory, mine was. 

I only mention this because you post stated you were working with 308 and 223.

I think im going a little too fast. Also the press wasnt mounted stable enough. I think that spring that goes around the shellplate got bent and maybe its not holding the cartridge in tight enough. I just picked up a few more pins from tanners. Im gonna try it again More slowly and check a few more things. Ill report tomorrow on it.

Thanks for the inputs.

I agree with TBill. I like my Lee universal  decapping die so much that I deprime in large batches as a separate first step almost all the time now for all the calibers I reload (9mm, 38, 357, 45, 223/556) and always for the 223. Yet to break a pin regardless of whether or not it's crimped. Absolutely worth every penny and relatively speaking not that many pennies anyhow to get one.

I agree with TBill. I like my Lee universal  decapping die so much that I deprime in large batches as a separate first step almost all the time now for all the calibers I reload (9mm, 38, 357, 45, 223/556) and always for the 223. Yet to break a pin regardless of whether or not it's crimped. Absolutely worth every penny and relatively speaking not that many pennies anyhow to get one.

I use that die also for my pistol brass. It works great.

1) call Hornady while at the press. Be sure timing is correct (you should be able to feel/hear the shell plate locking into the ball detents, both on up- and down-stroke.

2) Screw sizing die down to just "kiss" the shell plate and turn the die body up 1/32 of a turn. DO NOT tighten the lock ring. Loosen the depriming rod slightly. Ease a deprimed case into the die. Watch the depriming rod to be sure it doesn't move up, indicating that the pin has entered the flash hole. Tighten the lock ring on the die body. Tighten the lock ring(s) on the depriming rod. You now have the die aligned to the cases.

3) Check that the flash holes are actually the right size for the depriming pin. Some are quite small (remember, they make cases for their primers and priming compound and don't care about reloaders). Get smaller depriming pins or open up the too small flash holes if that is the issue.

4) Get a Lee Universal Depriming Die and deprime during case inspection/sorting prior to cleaning.

Almost got it figured out. Yup i think the timings off. I messing with that right now. Yeah when the timing is on the primers easily come out with little force. I think were on to something. Im gonna get that lee die. Thanks noylj