Lecky

Ruger

piston driven AR is a solution to a nonexistent problem.. additionally the parts are proprietary to the system (normally) this means that as time goes on.. and things need replacing.. they MAY be readily available.. or may not be.. why are you considering a piston AR?

As Vlad mentioned the SRE-556 has some proprietary components.  As far as replacement parts go, or warranty service is concerned, Ruger has no written warranty.  Instead, the warranty is implied and is applicable based on the state you reside in.  Generally speaking, if anything goes wrong with you Ruger firearm, you can sen it in for repair at little to no cost to you.  There were some problems a few years ago with carrier tilt wearing the buffer tube but that non critical issue was resolved yeas ago.  AFAIK, that was the only common problem and whenever someone with ANY Ruger has sent it in for repair it was covered.  Only abused firearms were not covered.

I've heard Ruger owners talk about firearms they've owned for 30 years needing service, sent back to Ruger, returned to owner repaired and tuned up at no cost.

The best way, in my opinion, to get the lowdown on any product you want more info on is to google the product followed by the word "problem".  You will find every complaint, valid or not, on whatever you are interested in.

piston driven AR is a solution to a nonexistent problem.. additionally the parts are proprietary to the system (normally) this means that as time goes on.. and things need replacing.. they MAY be readily available.. or may not be.. why are you considering a piston AR?

I been wanting to upgrade the AR I currently have, it's a delton upper with a new frontier lower tanners in PA is offering the Ruger sr556 for $799. So I was thinking that the price was good. I just don't know a ton about them.

I been wanting to upgrade the AR I currently have, it's a delton upper with a new frontier lower tanners in PA is offering the Ruger sr556 for $799. So I was thinking that the price was good. I just don't know a ton about them.

IMO.. which is not worth much... a purpose built AR around YOU and YOUR style is going to be worth far more than an off the shelf gun.. if you are not overly pleased with what you have.. isolate the components you are not happy with and throw the $700 at those parts.. it will in theory net you the perfect weapon as it is built around YOUR likes and dislikes..

IMO.. which is not worth much... a purpose built AR around YOU and YOUR style is going to be worth far more than an off the shelf gun.. if you are not overly pleased with what you have.. isolate the components you are not happy with and throw the $700 at those parts.. it will in theory net you the perfect weapon as it is built around YOUR likes and dislikes..

i just always had this feeling, that if I was using a different upper then the lower, and The upper and lower are entry level it wasn't a great rifle, of course this can all be in my head. Do you think the ruger is a much more improved rifle then what I'm using?

i just always had this feeling, that if I was using a different upper then the lower, and The upper and lower are entry level it wasn't a great rifle, of course this can all be in my head. Do you think the ruger is a much more improved rifle then what I'm using?

no.. I think that a rifle is a sum of its parts as applied to the person operating the weapon.. I have two home build ARs that shoot extremely well.. how well does the gun you own shoot? what doesn't it do that you wish it did? how does the gun feel? what would you change.. these are the things we need to know in order to give you good feedback.. I am sure the Ruger is an OK gun.. I just personally think that your money is best spent elsewhere..

is it the polymer lower?

this is my home build.. on all kinds of different unmatched parts.. gun runs extremely well..

midlengthar1.jpg

no.. I think that a rifle is a sum of its parts as applied to the person operating the weapon.. I have two home build ARs that shoot extremely well.. how well does the gun you own shoot? what doesn't it do that you wish it did? how does the gun feel? what would you change.. these are the things we need to know in order to give you good feedback.. I am sure the Ruger is an OK gun.. I just personally think that your money is best spent elsewhere..

is it the polymer lower?this is my home build.. on all kinds of different unmatched parts.. gun runs extremely well..

yes it is the polymer lower. Back when everything went to shit after sandy my father was an FFL in New York and at the time he was only able to get the New Frontier lowers with the Delton complete upper.

What are your specific complaints about what you have?

is it the polymer lower?

this is my home build.. on all kinds of different unmatched parts.. gun runs extremely well..

midlengthar1.jpg

Vlad that is a beauty !

It has not malfunctioned, I have only a few hundred rounds through it, I always had reservations because when I first bought it I asked people on here their opinions about it and there was a lot of talk about it being just ok, good for plinking and that's it, so when I saw the ruger sr-556 go on sale at tanners I thought maybe this would be a big improvement over what I have now. The price for the ruger is $799 I wouldn't want to spend anything more then that.

How about a DI Ruger AR-556.  $200 less and completely customizable.  Street price is $600.00

8500.jpg

http://www.ruger.com/products/ar556/models.html

would they extra $200 buy you a much better rifle with the SR-556? These are the questions I have and look for advice from you guys that have the experience that I lack. Thanks everyone.

I would just replace the polymer lower and keep what you have... you are not really pointing out anything about the gun that you dislike? so no sense in replacing it? lol I only say replace that lower because I have seen SOME reports of things breaking over time... and lowers are dirt cheap at the moment..

I would just replace the polymer lower and keep what you have... you are not really pointing out anything about the gun that you dislike? so no sense in replacing it? lol I only say replace that lower because I have seen SOME reports of things breaking over time... and lowers are dirt cheap at the moment..

if I was to purchase a new complete lower what would you suggest? Do you think the delton upper is good? It's not that I dislike the gun I just want something proven to be reliable.

if I was to purchase a new complete lower what would you suggest? Do you think the delton upper is good? It's not that I dislike the gun I just want something proven to be reliable.

I have have had hands on the follow and found them all to be fine (in that they appear durable.. holes line up.. etc..) spikes, aero precision, ar15.com, S&W.. but I am sure there are a million more mil spec lowers that are more than fine..

not to beat it to death.. but the point is not to say the ruger is bad.. the point is more that I think your money spent elsewhere would net you a better experience...

is the upper OK? not sure.. does it shoot straight? what gas system is it? barrel length? are you looking for a lightweight run and gun setup.. or more of a benchrest precision type thing..

I personally prefer a 14in midlength gas system setup.. but that is just my preference....

would they extra $200 buy you a much better rifle with the SR-556? These are the questions I have and look for advice from you guys that have the experience that I lack. Thanks everyone.

The $200 difference between these two guns is mainly the gas system.  You're paying $200 extra for piston gun, as opposed to a DI gun.  Without even touching the reliability debate between the two gas systems, you are better off going with the DI rifle due to the reason stated earlier: Parts are essentially interchangeable between rifles.  If something goes wrong with your DI rifle in several years, it will be much easier and cheaper to find the parts you need.

That being said, you may be better off waiting to make a decision until you understand the platform better.  That is not meant to be taken as an insult.  Everyone here started with no knowledge of the platform, and learned from there.  Once you're more educated on how the rifle functions, you can make much better decisions regarding what you want to do.

The $200 difference between these two guns is mainly the gas system.  You're paying $200 extra for piston gun, as opposed to a DI gun.  Without even touching the reliability debate between the two gas systems, you are better off going with the DI rifle due to the reason stated earlier: Parts are essentially interchangeable between rifles.  If something goes wrong with your DI rifle in several years, it will be much easier and cheaper to find the parts you need.

That being said, you may be better off waiting to make a decision until you understand the platform better.  That is not meant to be taken as an insult.  Everyone here started with no knowledge of the platform, and learned from there.  Once you're more educated on how the rifle functions, you can make much better decisions regarding what you want to do.

I don't take that as an insult at all, it actually makes a lot of sense thank you

Building a rifle, or at least the lower, may not seem as intimidating once you understand a bit of what's going on.  Building the lower is quite easy, anyone with a basic mechanical understanding and an internet connection can do it.

I just picked mine up today. Very nice rifle. I think its worth the $799. Here is a picture of it next to my M4 style rifle. The biggest difference between the 2 is the Ruger feels more front heavy than the M4. I did weigh them both and got 7lbs 8oz for the Ruger and 7lbs 7oz for the M4.

I plan on adding a scope and bipod to this one.

15gugwp.jpg