Sign in to follow this  
itsryan7290

N00b Looking to Build 1st AR

I am a complete n00b at AR's even though I have read a decent amount on them. I have a few people giving me some guidance but I need alittle more detailed guidance. 

I am looking to spend no more than 1200 on an AR build. I'd prefer to purchase a complete lower and possibly a complete upper. Could someone link me to some complete uppers and complete lowers to check out and possibly purchase? What else do I need besides these two parts?

I am looking for something for short range targets with the occasional long range shooting.

Thanks for the help.

You're EXTREMELY broad with your specifications... There's tons of different types of uppers and lowers.

What length are you looking for (14.5" w/ pinned comp, 16", 18", 20"+)?  What gas system?  Piston or DI?  Any specific barrel twist rate wanted?  What ammo will you be using?  Any preference in stocks?  Pictograms on the lower or words?  Any brands preferred?  Logos?  Grips?  Triggers?

You're EXTREMELY broad with your specifications... There's tons of different types of uppers and lowers.

What length are you looking for (14.5" w/ pinned comp, 16", 18", 20"+)?  What gas system?  Piston or DI?  Any specific barrel twist rate wanted?  What ammo will you be using?  Any preference in stocks?  Pictograms on the lower or words?  Any brands preferred?  Logos?  Grips?  Triggers?

He probably has no idea what you're talking about.

OP - What do you plan on on using this rifle for? Paper punching once in a while, just want an AR to have one? Training and range time every week, high round count? Precision long distance shooting?

If anything, build your lower and purchase the upper.

Palmetto State Armory has a ridiculous sale on uppers now so you can build a real budget AR for about $500

He probably has no idea what you're talking about.

OP - What do you plan on on using this rifle for? Paper punching once in a while, just want an AR to have one? Training and range time every week, high round ocunt? Precision long distance shooting?

If anything, build your lower and purchase the upper.

Palmetto State Armory has a ridiculous sale on uppers now so you can build a real budget AR for about $500

Looking to purchase an AR for paper punching and the occasional gopher hunting. Looking at a 223/5.56.

Build your own lower. Buy a complete upper.

If I did it ANYONE can. Here's my NOOB thread if your bored:

http://njgunforums.com/forum/index.php/topic/64490-good-entry-level-off-the-shelf-buy/page-1

If it's not too far for you, get yourself to Monmouth Arms in Morganville and pick up an Anderson stripped lower. Tell Steve I sent ya' if you go. I over paid for my lower b/c it was an impulse buy. Don't make the same mistake.

Good luck, enjoy and you'll find plenty of help and advice here.