SL8R

Going to Range 14 for the first time

I just finished building my first AR-15 and am itching to shoot it.  I'm not currently a member of a range, I used to be at Shore Shot, but I'm not interested in paying for frangible ammo to shoot indoors.  I also have a 12 gauge Mossberg 500 I haven't had a chance to shoot yet (haven't had much free time since my daughter was born).  I was thinking about going down to Fort Dix, it's about an hour ride from me in Hazlet.  Wanted to get some clarification on a few things and ask for any recommendations for shooting outside in the cold (it'll be my first time doing so).

1.  Am I correct that you have to purchase the membership to shoot there ($60), then its another $4 per hour?

2.  Should I build my own target stands before going? I'm thinking a rectangular frame to staple cardboard to on two posts, 1x3 as they recommended on their site, a little less than 5ft tall.  How many should I make?

3.  Can I shoot my AR, shotgun, and pistols all on the rifle range?

4.  I have ammo, eyes and ears, targets, what else should I bring?

Any recommendations/things I haven't thought of, please let me know.

1. Yes, you will need to purchase the $60 membership and its $4/hr/shooter

2. They do sell cardboard targets there for like $1 or $2 each which are on a 1x3 post. If you make your own 2 is enough. Just bring extra targets to staple on

3. Yes

4. Just standard ID for confirming your membership.

5. Have a good time and bring someone who has never had the experience before.

I haven't checked their schedule on line. Just check to make sure they are open

Most of the questions were answered above. Just wanted to add:

If you have a membership you can bring up to 4 (I think, maybe 3?) guests. It's $4 per person per hour.

For your first time I'd just buy the targets. They have post hole diggers to borrow but being one if you have one.

I really like the rifle range at Dix. Then again, I can't compare it to much. We are kind of in the no-mans land for rifle ranges.

For your first time I'd just buy the targets. They have post hole diggers to borrow but being one if you have one.

I

The ground there is very sandy and soft.  I drive the stakes with a hammer.  Seems easier than digging holes.

Also watch for the turnoff.  There aren't any clear signs pointing to R-14.  Range Road sort of forks.  The first couple of times I went I missed the turnoff.    For a clear visual use google earth to see where you need to turn off.

The ground there is very sandy and soft. I drive the stakes with a hammer. Seems easier than digging holes.

Also watch for the turnoff. There aren't any clear signs pointing to R-14. Range Road sort of forks. The first couple of times I went I missed the turnoff. For a clear visual use google earth to see where you need to turn off.

Good point on the turnoff. I think it says "range 14 paintball" or something. Not a big sign.

Range 14 is a great place.

Keep in mind the schedule of shooting.

Each one hour session consists of 10 minute cease fire, 20 minutes shooting, 10 minute cease fire, 20 minutes shooting. 

I find that I run out of targets too quickly when I only have 2 things to shoot at. 20 minutes of putting holes in paper can be a little boring for me. I try to put out a lot of stuff, at varying distances, to shoot. They allow for tin cans, plastic bottles clays and self healing targets. Anything on the ground must be at 25 yards. Anything on a stand can be at 15 yards. Steel targets must be at 200 yards after approval from RO.

Plastic jugs full of water out at 100 & 150 yards are fun to see blow up when hit by an AR round.

They ask, rightly so, that you clean up your messes afterwards.

Thanks for all the info guys.  Didn't think about chamber flags, thanks for that head's up.  I think I'm going to make some pvc target frames and I have some metal tent spikes so I can anchor them down.  Jugs of water and some cans are a great idea, I'll pull some out of the recycling.  

I'm sure it varies, but typically how crowded does it get there on the weekends?

It is usually a little more crowded in the morning but late morning & this close to Christmas won't be bad at all. Chamber flags are 6 for $1. You"ll have a great time. All the other members are really Great people & the R O 's are nice too. Remember they are doing a job for everyone,s safety.

If you have anything that looks like questionable NJ legality, be prepared to politely explain yourself to the RO's (yes, this 30 round mag is pinned. Let me show you.  Or no, this is  comp/muzzle break, not a flash hider. etc). I have seen them bust balls. 

I am a member.  I be happy to bring you on as a guest.

I like the place because they they don't make up bullshit rules on the fly, and you shoot what you want.  The most I've waited was 15 minutes, which I used to load up my mags.  And each station is nice and spaced away from the next, and you can shoot two people at the same station at the same time.  Shore Shot = Indoors and heated.  That is it.

Just clean up your shotgun messes and drop in the trash bin nearby.  Brass and alum/steel they will sweep up.  Or you can sweep up yourself to help out.

And as was said, just bring a little garden digger to place your targets.  They lend out post-hole diggers if you need one, but heck, in the sand you can dig it out with your hands if you had to.

The only rule really is to block off your chamber during time-outs, or just stash your guns in their cases for 10 minutes.

Nice, I appreciate the offer.  I'm going to see if either my brother or brother-in-law want to take a ride with me next weekend, if it doesn't work out I'd be happy to take you up on it.  Didn't know you could have two people shoot at the same station/same time, that's awesome.

Yeah, each station has two seats, sort of like a twin picnic bench with a small divider in between the two.  Kind of hard to describe.  There is a roof, but otherwise open-air.  Cold in the cold, lol.

But we've had 3 people shooting down range at the same time.  Two seated at the table, and a 3rd guy shooting off to the side.

I can host up to 3 other non-members at a time for the reduced rate.  If you like it, hand them the $60 for a year membership and then you can host your own guests.

Nice and roomy, no gangsta assholes 3 feet away, and you may come across some other shooters you don't see every day, like the Barret .50 sniper I posted about.  I gave him $5 for each shot we took, just to cover his costs.  :santa:

you can, and I usually do, shoot 2 people at once but beware you're going to want to call dibs on the left side of the bench. I've got an action shot somewhere of a shell casing coming out of my ruger sr9 and it's just at the end of its arc so you can tell where it's headed and it's about to hit a friend of mine dead center the top of his head. it's usually just something to laugh about. the distance from bench to bench is enough where you aren't gonna hit or get hit by random people, only the people you are with so we usually all laugh when it happens. the .22s I use burn like a mother though. One time I had my left hand supporting my mosin and a .22 shell landed in the palm of my hand and got pressed in between my hand and the rifle.. that stung for a few seconds lol.

I've got this crappy pic on a crappy phone camera I can share. It shows you what to expect though.. what the benches look like, how far apart they are from other people, how far 200 yards looks like (it's the rifle range), what the targets they sell look like (white cardboard staple gunned to a stick of wood) 

http://home.comcast.net/~carlover22/20140926_145034_smaller.jpg

other advice? the chamber flags like someone said. they go down the line and make sure everyones got one in each firearm every cease fire. also like someone said they sell them 6 for $1 so hardly a big deal especially since it's a one time thing you just throw them in your bag and leave them there til next time.

and I would definitely recommend a shovel of some kind. they do have some spread out that you can use, but I'm more comfortable having my own so that I can start right away and not wait on anyone else that might be using it. I just commandeered a garden tool from my garage that fits in my range bag and it works perfectly fine.

and depending on how much time you plan on spending there I'd suggest bringing snacks and drinks. Water bottles and cans make good targets after you finish them too, and sometimes before.. a waste of whatever you're drinking? maybe. getting to see it explode and splash all over though? totally worth it

Thanks for the head's up guys.  Wavecaster, the pic was helpful.  Planning on heading down Saturday morning, looking forward to it.  Haven't shot since before my daughter was born over a year ago and have way too much ammo laying around, time to put some of it to use.

You can also just place your weapon in a case if you find yourself short on chamber flags, or pull the pin on an AR to split the upper and lower and then leave it on the table.  they are cool with any of those.

I didn't know they carried the flags inside, so good to know.  I tried to pick up a few at Cheyenne recently, and they had nothing.

You can also just place your weapon in a case if you find yourself short on chamber flags, or pull the pin on an AR to split the upper and lower and then leave it on the table. they are cool with any of those.

I didn't know they carried the flags inside, so good to know. I tried to pick up a few at Cheyenne recently, and they had nothing.

Just go to lowes, Home Depot, or Amazon and get colored zip ties. Two looped together in a P-shape. But at 6 for $1 that sets you up pretty good.

The ground there is very sandy and soft.  I drive the stakes with a hammer.  Seems easier than digging holes.

In the winter using a post hole digger is a major PITA, the ground starts to freeze.  Go to lowes and get one of these for $15 and put it on a cordless drill, it's a life saver.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_109435-16878-61909_0__?Ntt=garden+auger&UserSearch=garden+auger&productId=3556926&rpp=32

Make sure you are well prepared. I always feel rushed when I'm there. I feel like it's always a seize fire.

Thats true. I feel the same way. Make sure you have everything you need to go down range when a cease fire is called. God forbid you left your clean target or stapler at the bench. Cease fires last about 10 minutes. It could be longer if someone is down at the 200 yd marker setting up their targets or they have set up staggered distances. By the time the cease fire is done and the range is open, you get to shoot for about 15 or 20 minutes and then another cease fire. Basically you're getting 2 20 minutes firing sessions per hour. If I go alone to the range I usually get at least 2 hours. If you have more people at your table you'll need more time. All in all, for the membership fee and $8 for 2 hours, I shouldn't be complaining.

Be sure target's are anchored or buried real good, it can get windy out there, think being down the beach. The ground is sandy, but if it's wet, it could freeze this time of year. I have a garden auger that goes into my drill to break through it. Anyway, here's a picture of the chamber flags they sell. Really just colorful plastic cable ties. But remember, all firearms must be in the case when transporting to & from the table. And please do not point the muzzles at the roof. There's a few holes in it already and they get a little touchy about it. Anyway, maybe I'll see you on Wednesday, Friday (when open) evenings or Sundays. Have fun.

post-8069-0-40991400-1419891903_thumb.jpg

Yeah, they wanted to move the berm back another 100yds, but who could make it there, set up and get back in time?

They've done a lot of structural improvement to it in the past two years but it also came with a lot of new safety regulations.

Finally got down to Range 14 this morning.  Took a buddy of mine and got a chance to shoot both my AR and 12 gauge for the first time. I could barely hit anything at 25 yards with my Glock 19, I had never taken it past 15 yards before.  Tried to dig holes for the targets with a garden trowel, but the ground was frozen solid.  Luckily the guys next to me had the post hole digger, saw me struggling and brought it over when they were done.  They also were really cool and loaned me some tape when my staple gun crapped out.  The range officer came over in the beginning and shot the breeze with us a few times.  He showed me an easier way to load the AR mags, then called my buddy out on referring to mags as "clips"(which he deserved).  I got called over to the bench to lock the bolt back once during a cease fire, then again for the slide on the Glock a little later.  For some reason I thought the bolt/slide needed to be closed on the chamber flag.  Felt like a dope (especially the second time) but the RO was cool about it.  All in all it was a good time, people were friendly, and I didn't get muzzle swept which is always nice.

Cool SL8R, glad you had fun. Probably go tomorrow to recheck the sight in on one of my 30-30's and 308. Bought some of that new IMR4166 "Enduron" powder and been trying it out, due to it's availability and claims. Didn't work as well as other powders for me, so I'm moving on to some long needed just shooting practice. Specially with the Glock.