Purple Patrick

Looking for 308 battle rifle recommendations

So my dad is looking to sell or trade his kriss vector and is looking for a semi auto 308 rifle. He really wants a SCAR but i convinced him in nj its a useless rifle compared to a standard ar. So hes looking for 308 ar recommendations, ive been eyeing up the dpms line for him but am open to really any quality brand. Non ar platforms are welcome too, i think he would really like a fn fal clone but its to "pedestrian" for him. So if anyone has some cool looking 308 battle rifles post up pics !

So to sum it up

- semi auto 308

-more modern looking

-$2000 or less but willing to splurge for the right piece

-Any barrel length

-easily found nj legal mags

Thanks guys

I'm curious as to why you said it's useless compared to a standard AR.  Yes, he will pay extra to neuter the stock and other compliance issues.  Mags may be a bit more expensive.  It's still not the same as a standard AR though.  He could look at the Sig 716, mags might be a little expensive, as I believe they may be proprietary.  The M1A may be worth a look as well.

I'm curious as to why you said it's useless compared to a standard AR. Yes, he will pay extra to neuter the stock and other compliance issues. Mags may be a bit more expensive. It's still not the same as a standard AR though. He could look at the Sig 716, mags might be a little expensive, as I believe they may be proprietary. The M1A may be worth a look as well.

The whole cool thing about a scar is the stock and t o pay about a 1000 more dollars over a comparable ar for a cool looking rifle seems dumb to me. Also mags arent cheap or readily available.

Ptr91 is a no go unless someone has some pics of pne i can show him tricked out.

M1a socom is an option

I would argue that the scar is a great option id money wasn't holding you back. Runs cleaner, recoil is very manageable, very accurate and you can have 7.62/5.56 in one gun at the cost of 5 mins. Guy ran a heavy in an EAG class I was in. I liked it.

Here is a picture of the PTR91 I had. It was nice and had a hell of a kick, but the weight of the rifle helped with that. Unfortunately that was also the reason I sold it. It was just a little too heavy for my liking. It was accurate and the best part about it was the magazines are dirt cheap. The 20 rounders anyway. Might I suggest the new DPMS G2 308. I think it looks very promising.

DSCF6058.jpg

The dpms line is the number one contender right now. Anyone have experience with them?

I had the DPMS LR-308. It had a 24" Stainless Bull Barrel. It was HEAVY. It wasn't good for anything except bench shooting. And it made this annoying loud twang with every shot. Needless to say I got rid if it. I found I enjoy shooting 308 from a bolt action rifle much better.

What about a Springfield M1A type rifle?

The whole cool thing about a scar is the stock and t o pay about a 1000 more dollars over a comparable ar for a cool looking rifle seems dumb to me. Also mags arent cheap or readily available.

Ptr91 is a no go unless someone has some pics of pne i can show him tricked out.

M1a socom is an option

You said .308 rifle, therefore it's safe to assume you're talking about the SCAR-17.  There's not too many things comparable between an AR and a SCAR-17, other than the fact that they're both semi-automatic rifles.  There was a detailed review that someone posted a link to a while back, the internals of even a SCAR-16 are much beefier than an AR.  If the mags or price point are an issue, then so be it...that's understandable.  However don't discount the SCAR-17S because you think it's the same as an AR, because it's not.

In your price range, a solid look at a M1 Socom is worth it. PTR is very cool as well. The SCAR would probably be my pick, but I don't think your into one for $2000. I own an LWRC REPR, and like it a lot. But if given a reset button, I might go SCAR.

I don't follow the 7.62/5.56 thing Checko, educate me.

PTR91 or FAL are both good choices.

I have owned 3 PTR91 rifles with various barrel lengths in various configurations and it's a good all around 308 battle rifle. Built well (very durable), accurate and manageable recoil (aftermarket buffers exist).

The NJ legal FAL clone made by DSA is also well built, durable and accurate.

HK magazines are easy to get (cheap) and not hard to pin down to 15 or 10 rounds. FAL mags can be a little tricky.

Both can be had for under $2K.

Colt LE901.

I've owned or shot several semi auto .308 rifles over the years, but I'm most impressed with the Colt 901. The more I shoot it, the more I like it.

Mine is the original version with the full quad rail, but there are other versions available that are a bit lighter.

The 901 takes standard 7.62 Pmags too.

I like the versatility of the 901, using the conversion kit, you can drop on a 5.56mm upper.

If you are in the South Jersey area, I'll extend an invitation to shoot mine.