CMJeepster

Old stuff. Where to go?

I've got a relative with some old long guns (legal) here in NJ and they're potentially interested in turning them into cash. Where is the best place to go to sell them for a fair price? Specifically, I'm talking about a really rough side-by-side shotgun of unknown manufacture (as it's really rusted / dirty) and a Whitney Arms breech loader .22 octagonal barrel.

Also, is there a good, reasonably priced gunsmith in or around Mercer County to take the long guns that are not going to be sold (20 gauge Remington Fox side-by-side and some Remington bolt .22s) to be checked out and inspected / fixed / cleaned?

PMs are fine with suggestions, but I'm not prepared to broker these right now.

Thanks!

Jamie

Post them here.  I'm sure you'll get some offers.

An old, rusted, dirty shotgun probably won't bring much. I've bought old guns in fair condition that became project guns for under $50 at gun shops before.

I could use another project gun - lets see some pictures.

The end goal as of this moment is to sell the Whitney for a fair price.  I'd like to get the Savage Arms Fox Model B in 20 ga. evaluated and if it's able to be restored and used, I'll acquire it for a trap / target and possible bird gun.  I'm very serious about selling the Whitney and the "American Gun Club" (?) shotgun to someone who will appreciate them for what they are.  I don't want the current owner to just turn them in to a buy-back or get a fraction of the worth.

AF Boyer Hardware in PA

You bring your relative there during business hours, they will give him a fair price, cash, right away for whatever he wants to part with.

http://afboyer.com/

I stopped by there on my way up north last Thursday. The store was really something else to see! Stuffed animals (not the kid your kid would take to bed!) everywhere including a giraffe! Wow! Sadly, they weren't really interested in what I had and offered me $250 for the lot of five (Whitney, 2 shotguns and 2 .22cal bolt Remingtons). I left disappointed. Neither of the other two shops I went to were really offering anything that made me want to sell, so I went to my destination and called it a day.

I was successful in having a friend clean the .22s and the 20ga Fox. We wound up shooting the 511 Remington and the 20ga over the weekend. Fun stuff! I guess I'll just turn in the rusted shotty at a buyback if I can't clean it up enough to be a decent wall hanger. Does anyone know what the turn-in value is like for a shotty that still opens at the break?

Yeah, I hear ya. I'll get my act together and put that one up for sale here. I've got an interested party for the Whitney, so hopefully that will find a new home. I think I'll hold on to the 511 Remington and the Fox for now. I might post the 510 for sale, but might have a relative interested. This has been some adventure!

The 510's (2nd from bottom) markings look like an October 1946 production. The 511 (bottom) looks like a 1949 production. The American Club Gun shotty (2nd from top rusty thing) is pre-WWI. The Whitney (top) is 1881-1888, I think. I'm not sure about the Fox though.

That rusty double barrel looks like it might be a fun project to try evapo-rust on.  Removet the stock, wrap it in toweling and moisten it with evapo-rust every day and see what it looks like with the rust gone.  Put some boiled linseed oil on that stock, could look very nice!  Could be you could get it re-blued after that and have a nice shooter.

I'm not comfortable working on the shotty, but perhaps someone here might be. If anyone is interested in anything here, please PM me and we'll try to work something out.

As I stated above, I had friends clean and inspect the 22s and the 20ga. I shot the 511 22 and the 20ga. The 510 didn't get shot. I might try that soon though. The metal on that one definitely needs help.

I met CMJeepster today an took the old rusty shotgun off his hands.  A couple of the 100 year old screws didn't survive the dis assembly.  I don't know why old screws have such shallow slots in the heads.  I I did get it all apart.  The rusty old barrel is in the electrolysis tank now. Unless it goes embarrassingly bad, I'll do a post showing the before and after in a few days.

Thanks CM.