n4p226r

NY legal semi-auto .223 that has detachable mags

what options are there?  i know there are the ARs with the weird stocks.  there is the ares defense AR shotgun looking lower, and then there are things like the mini 14 (do they use proprietary mags)

my uncle is looking.  he has about 50 acres total and wants a fun plinker.  he'd probably prefer a wood stock m1a style gun over an AR style gun but anything is fair game I'm sure. 

AR's with the weird stock, or AR's which lock the magazine in place are your options.

The SKS has become real popular now, as is the Mini-14/Ranch Rifle.

An M1A will need cosmetic work to pass muster. One example:

https://www.facebook.com/SmithEnterpriseInc/posts/586703081421729

Check this out.  I might be using it for NYS

http://midwestpx.com/index.php?cPath=166

I'm doing further investigation but this should make and AR NYS legal.

Not so sure about that.

During the 94-04 Fed ban, and prior to the UnSafe Act in NYS, they had passed a non-expiring word-for-word copy of the Federal 1994 ban as part of NYS law.

It talks of semi-auto rifles that accept detachable mags.

Even with the device on MidwestPX's site or the ever-popular bullet-button in Commifornia, the rifle still accepts detachable mags.

It just takes a tool to detach the mag, and there was no mention of "tool required or not" in the 94 ban

Some of my fellow high power competitors from NYS have put the "funny" stock on their non-match guns and only shoot their unaltered ARs in NJ and PA matches on a regular basis.

. The spur seems to be the least attractive AR mod to me.

yep, the spur is a little ugly and the funky stock is a lotta ugly! I actually got one for the heck of it was only $20 IIRC and actually not that bad just weird not feeling a grip. no I didnt keep it on.

Last time I walked into a NYS gun shop (which was ~3 months ago), the M1A's needed to have their flash hiders cut off.

And a weld to the castle nut or to anything that's threaded on so as to make the fixture "permanent" (That's such an ugly word.) :icon_e_sad:

Not so sure about that.

During the 94-04 Fed ban, and prior to the UnSafe Act in NYS, they had passed a non-expiring word-for-word copy of the Federal 1994 ban as part of NYS law.

It talks of semi-auto rifles that accept detachable mags.

Even with the device on MidwestPX's site or the ever-popular bullet-button in Commifornia, the rifle still accepts detachable mags.

It just takes a tool to detach the mag, and there was no mention of "tool required or not" in the 94 ban

Some of my fellow high power competitors from NYS have put the "funny" stock on their non-match guns and only shoot their unaltered ARs in NJ and PA matches on a regular basis.

This is really F'd up.

See I take the boat into NYS for a week at a time and will not go unarmed.

Guess I'm limited to the shotgun again.

You can't even have the barrel removable?

Threaded muzzles are out. The only alternative for the M1A platform are the devices made by Smith Enterprises affixed to the muzzle. (Link in my first post.) I have heard talk of some cutting the magazine catch tab on the M1A platform and creating a "permanent" magazine situation but I don't know if that passed muster with the NYSP.

LRB Arms out in Long Island has developed a special "all states compliant" model that they catalog.

http://www.lrbarms.com/m14riflesstandard.html

Take the question & answer session: http://programs.governor.ny.gov/nysafeact/registration-questionnaire

Overview: http://www.governor.ny.gov/sites/governor.ny.gov/files/archive/assets/documents/RiflesBannedFeatures.pdf

im assuming mine is a ranch. I thought mini 14 wasn't nj compliant?

I own 4 NJ compliant models of the Mini14. There's one model on the list but I think it's a FA model thats LEO issued only. The regular semi auto models are legal as long as the evil features are within NJ's constraints on the rifle.

I don't have a pistol grip on mine or a folding stock. Standard synthetic stock setup.

A regular ranch rifle should be legal in NYS just don't bring mag that accepts more than 10 rounds and if it does accept 10 don't load it with more than 7. Although I've read they aren't enforcing the 7 round limit the safe act stipulated. I still wouldn't want to be the test case for the law. When hunting here with a .223 you can have a mag that holds 15 rounds in your rifle but you can't have more than three rounds in the gun. Is it the same way in NYS? I'm not up on their hunting regulations.

A regular ranch rifle should be legal in NYS just don't bring mag that accepts more than 10 rounds and if it does accept 10 don't load it with more than 7. Although I've read they aren't enforcing the 7 round limit the safe act stipulated. I still wouldn't want to be the test case for the law. When hunting here with a .223 you can have a mag that holds 15 rounds in your rifle but you can't have more than three rounds in the gun. Is it the same way in NYS? I'm not up on their hunting regulations.

6 rounds in a semi-automatic. SAFE Act now sets it to 7 for any type of action. It's no coincidence they made it seven (7.) Think about it.

Prior to SAFE, you could carry your Marlin 39A .22 with a full compliment of 19 LR's in the tubular magazine for squirrel hunting.

. The spur seems to be the least attractive AR mod to me.

It is awkward to fire from the shoulder but bench rest is fine. I put one on every time I head upstate. You know just like a condom.

I am very intrigued by this and am looking at getting one:
EFBEEAE3-639E-41F7-9E32-4DB181634F0E_zps
http://www.aresdefense.com/?page_id=729

I'm just trying to determine what stock style I want.

ETA: I would put a 16" upper that has a crowned barrel and grab some 5 round mags.

Edited by High Exposure

I am very intrigued by this and am looking at getting one:

EFBEEAE3-639E-41F7-9E32-4DB181634F0E_zps

http://www.aresdefense.com/?page_id=729

I'm just trying to determine what stock style I want.

ETA: I would put a 16" upper that has a crowned barrel and grab some 5 round mags.

There are other stocks? I want a wood stock like a shotgun would have