DirtyDigz

M1A2 grenade adapter - NJ Legal?

Nothing is added to the rifle - the Yugo SKS was manufactured with a muzzle end specifically designed for launched grenades.  The gas block has a valve to block gas to the piston, again specifically designed for grenade launching.

Yes, I know I have to use blank rounds for launching.

OGfarmer, got a link for that practice grenade?  Would rather use that than the M1A2 adapter.

Question still stands - NJ Legal?

why not ? Should be fine nothing in the law states otherwise.

Flash hider and grenade launcher is two evil features? I'm not saying it is, just saying I can conjure it. Fun is a third evil feature so it's covered either way. ;)

It's certainly a projectile capable of harming someone (from NJ law). Are there any size, caliber, or mass restrictions for projectiles?

Some good reading on rifle-launched-grenades here:

http://sipseystreetirregulars.blogspot.com/2011/06/praxis-practice-rifle-grenades-surplus.html

Especially enjoyed reading this snippet:

Range Tales of the Stupid:

I will tell this one on myself. Back before we got a star crimp die and started rolling our own 7.62x39 GL cartridges, bright boy here got the idea that perhaps we could boost the performance of a standard blank by slipping an Estes model rocket motor in the ass end of an Israeli rifle grenade.

Theory: The standard blank would launch the grenade off the Yugo SKS, ignite the motor, which would boost the range beyond 70 yards.

Practice: I violated my own previously well-established safety rule of the lanyard and put the sucker to my shoulder at the range table with a buddy standing nearby and pulled the trigger. We got enhanced performance all right. The blank over-pressure detonated rather than ignited the Estes motor and with a deafening WHOOOM! the Israeli grenade assumed earth escape velocity, vanished in a nano-second over the back stop on a laser-like trajectory, and the engine fragments blew out the back, drawing blood from both of us. The recoil damn near knocked me down and my shoulder throbbed for a week. It took weeks for the bruise to disappear. We never did find that dummy grenade and I'm convinced that it is still floating somewhere out beyond Mars. The SKS, amazingly, was unharmed.

Boys and girls, don't try THAT one at home.

True if if its a fixed mag. Than thats the same as a bolt action. I see question is. Is the actual device legal. Idk. Thoroughly scrutinize the gun laws in that area. I betcha it is. Especially if 37 mm launchers are legal in nj. And they are. Its just what you are propelling that makes it illegal. But then again a propelled tennis ball might be considered illegal here.

I remember before my FID seeing these dirt cheap in mil surplus catalogs and I bought one (maybe two) and forgot about them until I had my SKS.

I tried the launcher a few times and no black helicopters or NJSP knocking on the door.

As far as I know they are legal.

$18.66 for 20 at http://www.atlanticwallblanks.com/M195-GRENADE-LAUNCHING-BLANK_p_214.html

They turn up for less on gunbroker from time to time.

Be careful some sell the East German surplus blanks as grenade launching blanks they are not GL blanks but low pressure blanks.

Thanks Carcano, I'll keep those blanks in mind.  Think I'll start out with cheaper "regular" blanks for the first trial.

OGFarmer, got in contact with the guy from overseas who sells the practice grenades that you had the picture of - $50 shipped, he ships in two separate packages (I'm guessing to avoid having what looks like an RPG load in the box when x-rayed). Thanks again for setting me on the right trail.

Thanks Carcano, I'll keep those blanks in mind.  Think I'll start out with cheaper "regular" blanks for the first trial.

OGFarmer, got in contact with the guy from overseas who sells the practice grenades that you had the picture of - $50 shipped, he ships in two separate packages (I'm guessing to avoid having what looks like an RPG load in the box when x-rayed). Thanks again for setting me on the right trail.

Also I've bought inert/training items from overseas before and never had a problem. Had a box come from Ukraine last year with mags/parts/some other things it was never opened...

If he ships surface (not airmail) chances are it will never be x-rayed...

Somehow I doubt anyone from Serbia will be willing to ship live ordnance via mail to the USA....

My Serbian contact only sells the practice grenade pictured.

For some reason I can imagine a few live HE rounds getting past US Customs....

I can also imagine how shitty it would be to be labeled a terrorist and sent to club fed.