I have their flashback. Supposedly fastest forward assist knife out there legal in all 50 states... I like it. Comes delivered razor sharp.

http://www.sogknives.com/tactical/knives/flashback-397.html

They can be had much cheaper on Amazon...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I own the Sog Seal Pup with a partially serrated edge and the dark grey powder coating and MOLLE sheath.  I believe it uses AUS6 or AUS8 steel, so it's a half decent steel.  It takes an edge and holds fairly well (I'm biased by owning many knives with better steels).  Mine doesn't see heavy use, but I'd trust it for light to moderate duty without issue.  I don't know how it'd fare with say batoning it through a log, but for normal knife use, it'd be just fine.  For the $50-ish it cost me, I'm happy.

I was annoyed that a month after I got my Seal Pup, I found the Seal Pup Elite for within $5 of what I paid.  I believe the main difference is a better coating and the jimping on the spine.

Found this when trying to find the differences between my Seal Pup and the Elite...

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/577134-SOG-Seal-Pup-Elite-review

I've also heard good things about Mora knives fixed blades - but have no experience with them.

I only have one SOG, the Flash II in camo, and I like it but it doesn't get carried as much as I thought it would. I'm not sure why but I have moved onto fully serrated blades. There is also a safety on it and some other features none of which I really use. I prefer my folders plain and simple, no doodads!

Last time I saw a sog fixed blade was probably back in 96-97. Iirc it was a tiger shark. Overall it was decent if a little pricey for the total package. The blade profile IMO was a bit odd.

I bought one of their folders I. The recent past, and the fit and finish was... rough. Everything came straight off the cnc, grinder, out of the mold without much tlc.

Material choices were decent, and the on sale price wasn't absurd, but I don't think I'd buy another one without seeing it first.

For fixed blade, I always look at what swamp rat has on offer first. Scrapyard knife works is even more cost conscious choice. Both are busse knives offshoots. Nothing fancy. Properly heat treated 1095 or modified 1095. Take a buttload of abuse in stride though. I've beaten the snot out of my 7" camp tramp.

Why not just get an M9 Bayonet? I had one and they are wicked. Ontario's come from factory as sharp as a scalpal. Not even brand new military ones are that sharp.

http://www.amazon.com/Ontario-490-Bayonet-System-Green/dp/B000Q9F7LM

Why not just get an M9 Bayonet? I had one and they are wicked. Ontario's come from factory as sharp as a scalpal. Not even brand new military ones are that sharp.

http://www.amazon.com/Ontario-490-Bayonet-System-Green/dp/B000Q9F7LM

I like the m7. Nice pig sticker

Posted Image

I'm going to second the Ontario knives. They made a few really nice Made in the USA pieces that are definitely worth taking a look at. Most of them are available online for under the $100 mark.

This is a great deal for the Ontario Ranger. Normally $165 on sale for $60.

http://www2.knifecenter.com/item/ON9430BM/ontario-ranger-series-night-stalker-4-fixed-blade-black-micarta-handles

They also make a few RAT series knives which are great as well. I suggest looking at the RAT-3, 4 and 5.

I too have a seal pup and have beat the dog crap out of it. They're a decent knife for the money, but not something I'd take with me for bushcraft level tasks. My one friend put it best "mike that knife isn't for wood, its for people!". And he was right. Couldn't chop, carve, or baton worth a good damn. So I got a Schrade SCHF 9. Love this thing. Cuts like a champ, batons, good edge for fire starting with magnesium strikers. And its only like 30 bucks. Or at least when I got it.  

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B13XtSa3KhYqTFJ2UHhPa3NwNlVtak0tdlVfcFZ2YVVaekhj/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B13XtSa3KhYqSlE0aF9wRF84aVhWM2RTclRwTlpFUWozeTRJ/view?usp=sharing

F/b SOGs are decent. I stay away from their folders. Quality has went over the cliff in the past couple of years. If you like the looks and how it handles, go for it. If it was me and I wasn't dead set on it I'd look elswhere, and for quality as a good price I'd look at ESEE or Cold Steel.

F/b SOGs are decent. I stay away from their folders. Quality has went over the cliff in the past couple of years. If you like the looks and how it handles, go for it. If it was me and I wasn't dead set on it I'd look elswhere, and for quality as a good price I'd look at ESEE or Cold Steel.

WOW.. esee.. do like.. but jeeze, a little over the allocated budget..

what I meant by "thick blade" is a nice thickness left to right.. but also the size of the blade itself.. (think top to bottom)

Also check RAT knives and Tops for affordable fixed blades.

Tops, affordable? Maybe but not worth what they're asking, IMO. The only TOPS I ever liked when handling were the MIL-SPIE 5 or their Brothers or Bushcraft knives. You can get an ESEE 4 for less than comparable TOPS and it's just as good, if not better (adding in cstmr service).  It really comes down to what type of knife you want and/or what you'll be using it for.

Vlad, give Jerzeedevil.com a spin. Awesome knives from some amazing makers. If you cant find what you're looking for there... I'm out.

It's a NJ based forum for knife makers and enthusiasts. Really great stuff.

C

I'll pull one from your book...

Tell us what you plan to use the knife for, and we can point you in the right direction.

:p

I want a knife sharp enough to cut things.. but thick enough to hack at and pry with.. and I want the blade relatively short.. I want a kydex sheath with a clip that can be worn IWB if needed..