I want a knife sharp enough to cut things.. but thick enough to hack at and pry with.. and I want the blade relatively short.. I want a kydex sheath with a clip that can be worn IWB if needed..

I could have sworn the budget was $100, but I'm not finding it in the thread now. 

If you are going cheap, Becker BK2. 

Doesn't get you the sheath, but I don't recall a heck of a lot shipping with a kydex sheath suitable for IWB carry, so it isn't going to be much of a comparison point.  The BK2 will do the rest of what you want though. 

Yes it's not cheap but deals can be had while buying used. Paid $215 for my DB frag grips included & I couldn't be happier.

null_zps7238458a.jpg

It really is bulletproof and they come in all different steels either 3/16 or 1/4.

null_zps5246eff0.jpg

I am liking the SCHF10... I am now thinking maybe something like is a better option... and then getting a nice kydex sheath for it..

The SCHF10 is a nice knife for the money.  The steel in the SCHF9 is a little better, though, but the shape of the knife is a little awkward to use/carry, etc.  Both the SCHF9 and SCHF10 knife are a little harder to sharpen than some other knives, with the shape of their blades, etc..   The SCHF 26 is essentially the same knife with a few minor differences.  The SCHF14 is also an interesting knife, in my opinion.

For a few dollars more (love that movie), you can get the RAT 3 or RAT 5 on Amazon, or the Kabar Navy Mark 1 with the Kraton handle.  These, as well as the SCHF9 have 1095 Carbon Steel. 

ESEE 3 or 4. If you don't need to hack then an ESEE Izula will do.

RAT 3 or Becker BK24 would also suffice for a small fixed blade.  I love my

Ka-Bar BK24 D'Eskabar!

My choices would be the following: 

Small knife... get whatever Mora you choose.

Small tough knife... Kabar Becker BK24.

Medium Knife... Kabar Becker BK16 or 17.  I like the BK17 a little better than 16. 

Crow Bar... Kabar Becker BK2.  Crow Bar Lite... and really versatile, Becker BK10 Crewman.

Self Defense... Kabar Becker BK7.

Overkill axe substitute.. BK9

Other considerations.. RAT or Esee series or Tops series in size you want.  . 

For most versatile, get a 3-5" blade of whatever shape you want... I like clip or drop point, and get with good carbon steel, such as 1095 Crovan Carbon Steel.  Handles are personal and you want one that is comfortable in your hand.   Some have hotspots, some not.  I wish Beckers came stock with Micarta handles, as the handles are where Beckers shine.  A BK22 paired with a Mora is all you need, save for an axe and a Laplander saw.

Considering compromises and quality, you cannot go wrong with the Becker BK17 as an EDC fixed-blade outdoor knife, but it is better with liners in the handle.   But, as current prices on Amazon, the RAT 3 or RAT 5 are great values.  

There's so many options these days, we're truly blessed, at least here in America. The one thing I don't see too many folks mentioning is this: try to handle the knife in-person. I learned my lesson the $$$ way by liking the way a knife looked online, the specs, etc., but when I got it in the mail and handled it I hated it. Nowadays if I can't handle a knife in person I won't buy it.

Recurved blades are nice to cut with with their big bellies, but can be hard to sharpen correctly.  A handle with finger grooves is not always comfortable to hold depending upon the cutting chore. A "plain" handle can work anything. The more robust steels like D2, S90V, can hold an edge thru some tough tasks, yet one must remember that toughness can be a PITA to sharpen out in the field if needed. I don't know where the OP lives in PA but a few places off the top of my head to check out are Harry's Army/Navy in Robbinsville NJ, Country Knives in Intercourse, PA.

The BK2 comes with a usable plastic sheath. I may not have a clip on it but it comes with a variety if holes that people add all sorts of stuff to.

It would be trivial to insert two belt loops or something like it, google "bk2 sheath mods" and look at the pics

BK22 is the same knife, but has a different sheath, if I remember correctly.  I like it better.  This would most likely be the perfect knife for what you have indicated.  You can get one and start modifying it to your liking. 

This new Schrade may be one of the best deals in "Survival Knives"...  And, it might be shipped with ferro rod and sharpener.  I'm not crazy about the sheath, but it seems workable.  And, the coating would need to be removed....

Schrade SCHF38

The SCHF36 and SCHF37 also look pretty good as well.  These have a really ergonomic grip and bells and whistles in 1095 Carbon Steel.  I don't know if the SCHF36 is available, but that would be my choice with its  choil, 90 degree spine, etc.. 

I think this would be a better value than the SOG and I would like to get this knife.  I really like the grind, but the curved blade might be harder to sharpen.  And, it comes with a nice leather sheath.... This would make a great survival  knife from Schrade, and its 1095 Carbon Steel.  

Schrade SCHF42

With a nice custom handle it would be almost a perfect knife, if it has been hardened properly.