Sign in to follow this  
ChrismNJ

ATN x sight

Looks like a bit of a monster size-wise.

The gps and compass seems like handy features for hunting. I do a little hog hunting when I go back home to the ranch, and this would expand my envelope to night hunting. Hogs are smart, the will learn to avoid traps, and go nocturnal after being shot at for awhile.

Was hoping for something with a longer range night capability, but most of my shots are under 100m anyway.

An open letter from ATN Corp CEO, Marc Vayn:

"We at ATN appreciate all the early adopters of our new X-Sight. The X-Sight is really like nothing we have ever developed! The sophistication of the Obsidian Core has offered us a world of possibilities never before witnessed in our industry. It has also posed a series of challenges that we are working quickly to overcome.

One of these has been Reticle shifting out of view at high levels of zoom. First let me assure you this is NOT a hardware issue and will be resolved within the shortest time possible in the form of an updated firmware.

Part of the issue has arisen due to the fact that our engineers removed the original limitation of 4X digital (example 5-18). Instead the 5-18 is now 5-50. Our engineers felt that even at 50X, the resolution of the image was still good enough to provide additional detection. Unfortunately in the first release of our Reticle Zeroing we shifted the reticle by moving it on the screen reticle and thereby it would always be of center. This problem was then exacerbated by high zoom - in essence shifting the reticle up 10X the original Zeroing In. On weapons with more then just a minor shift from dead center this created a problem of having the reticle fly of the screen when zooming in.

Currently our engineers are working on a major update that will no longer shift the reticle but the entire screen behind the reticle - when finished no amount of zoom will move your reticle of center. The algorithms for this work have already been complete and only the testing and bug clean up remains. As an added bonus we will also be including a number of our early Smart Shooting Solutions into this version (Hint: think intelligent bullet drop compensation and much much more.)

Again, I would like to apologize from me and our development team for shipping the X-Sight with these types of issues. We hope that our fixes and new features that are to be released throughout the year will make up for some initial difficulties.

Sincerely,
Marc Vayn
CEO, ATN Corp."

Took my ATN X 5-18x to the range yesterday afternoon/night. Shot about 50 rounds with it mounted on my DPMS LR .308. Also mounted was the illuminator that it came with and a Crimson Trace IR laser spot (with filter). Shot it in the day mode and night mode. X/Y were both about -50 at 100 yards. Reticle usable at 2.5x and off the screen at 3.0x. V.2.0 installed. Illuminator good out to 100 yards. At 200 yards there seems to be a gain issue where it closed down due to foreground illumination. If I hand covered the illuminator for a bit then uncovered it, I could see the target fine at 200 yds till the gain closed down again.

Now for the issue. Picture froze on 4 shots at the shot. At about half the shots the picture went out completely. The only way to recover the image was to reset by taking the battery cover off/on. This issue seems to be recoil related. I was shooting .308, 150 grain Monarch.
I must say I like the scope other than that. I have had all the issues previously reported too, and I think I can work around those, but the scope going out on the shot is unacceptable. I've emailed the dealer and will be in touch with ATN this afternoon. I would also like to say what a great combination I think the ATN x and the Crimson Trace are, even though it duplicates the targeting solution. I'm new a this but like the ATN a lot.

Thanks for the range report!

Hmmmm, may have to wait on this one until they get the bugs worked out. Absolutely unacceptable to me is the recoil induced lockups. Reticle shift is also not good, however it sounds as if they may have that sorted.

I'm going to give this one awhile, but please, keep us updated with your experience with this product.

Thanks!!!

Not to poop on anyone's parade, not all ATN stuff is that great. I suppose for the price, it's ok.

I'm not sure about a rifle scope model, but did it come with scope lens covers with a pin hole in the front cover? If so, leave it on and try it. It aids in over powering light. My spotter scope has this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not sayig its the best stuff on earth but

First to have a Night vision scope under $1000

First to have a Night Vision Scope in Full 1080P color

First to have a Night Vision Scope with digital Compass Geo Tracking an Velocity

First to have a Night Vision Scope with Wifi

First to have a Night Vision Scope with built in recording

First to have a Night Vision Scope With Smart Device compatibility.

More things to break. If you need all that, cool. But for the most part, latter Gen Russian stuff ain't too bad or didn't use to be. If you are going to do neat stuff with it, have fun. But to pick off pigs in the dark? I'm not an animal hunter, so can't comment truthfully in that aspect, but for the most part, I was taught to try keep technology to a gentle roar because when it fails, you could be screwed. As for what they did for the price, keep in mind, cheap is not always better. Cheap labor and parts is what enables their pricing.

It is nice to hear they are staying on top of it. I wish you luck and looking forward to some vidz... :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk