Jfoster99

Surefire P3X Fury Dual Output LED

I am looking for a very bright Light that is weapon mountable.

I like the Surefire P3X.. It cost $179. Has dual 1000 Lumens and 15 Lumens. 60hrs run time at 15 Lumens..

I see other no name brand lights with similar size and 1000 Lumens power for $50 but read they are not really 1000 Lumens?

Does anyone have the P3X and care to comment on it? Also does anyone have a <$50 1000 lumen Chinese knockoff they would recommend?

Thanks,

Jeff

post-5151-142017675121_thumb.jpg

I have a P3X EAG model. It is awesome sauce. My favorite light by far - I have multiple P2X, M600C, X300U, TLRs on other rifles. I am trying to upgrade everything to the P3X.

Avoid multi-brightness or multi-function lights on long guns. They are overly complicated and useless.

Unless you are using NODs or putting a light on a breaching gun, you have no need for a low setting. Double clicking through low to get to high is too complicated to do under stress. I have searched for many people in many dark places - trust me, you can never have too much light.

Single bright output with simple, robust, and intuitive "switchology" is what you want on your gun.

If you need a navigation or admin light, get a handheld that you store on your belt/gear/pocket and use that. You will find it much easier than aiming your rifle at everything you need to take a look at.

Edited by High Exposure

I have multiple variants of the P3X. The 15/1000 is my bedside light. 15 lumens is perfect for when I need to walk around at night and not light up the room and startle my dogs and wife but having 1000 on-demand for other tasks is certainly nice. I've got the EAG version on my in-progress .308 build which I'll be using to stomp around my timber at night, hunting for a mountain lion that's out there. The third, and least used variant, of the P3X that I have is the single output push/turn model. Push and hold the button for momentary on or turn the cap for constant on. I don't like it as much on a long gun due to the aforementioned "switchology" but it's not a bad light for general stomping around outside in the dark.

A friend of mine did some testing of various flashlights using specialized equipment designed for measuring lux which is in turn used to calculate lumens. The other brands he tested were Fenix and Olight, relatively cheap flashlights with relatively high advertised output. What he found was the Surefire was slightly underrated and the Fenix was slightly overrated with the Olight being overrated by about 30% which would indicate they're measuring output at the LED, a popular marketing trick in the world of flashlights.

From what I have seen and been told these Chinese knockoff $50 1000 Lumens lights are decent lights but just not anywhere near 1000 lumens. They are approx 200+/- Lumens. Good lights for walking the dog, camping, spare glovebox light, ect.

They all seem to use the same bulb "CREE XM-L T6" I assume this is a decent bulb.. Perhaps it is rated for up to 1000Lumens and that is where they justify saying 1000 lumens in there ad.. The. Bulb is capable of 1000 lumens but the light and 2 AA batteries are not up to the task.

Does anyone have read the Fenix PD35 nice option. It is rated at 960 Lunens and cost only $60. Fenix has a decent reputation and the PD35 cost a third of the Surefire PX3.

i am likely going to get the Surefire cause i don't want to be disappointed but would feel better if someone could articulate why the surefire is better? Or maybe convince me to save the money and get the Fenix?

I have 4 Fury single output flashlights. They're mounted on guns as well as hidden in drawers in kitchen/bedrooms etc.

I wish the ones for the house were dual output, but a gun forum member was selling 3 Fury's still new in box for $120 shipped and I couldn't resist.

I ended up getting the Surefire P3 Fury for $179... It arrives tomorrow... I also splurged and got the Fenix P35 for $60. Both are ~1000 Lumens. The Fenix came in the mail today.... So far I am very happy with it... The turbo setting is by far the brightest flashlight I have now... Metal construction is excellent. When the Fury comes I can compare... Getting a little nervous it will not seem worth the extra $120. It may be the type of value that is appreciated over timely standing up to the recoil of 1000+ rounds of 5.56 and still shining bright.

The PX3 Fury arrived today... I did a side by side light comparison and the Fury does indeed have a stronger light then the Fenix But just a little bit... The fury uses three Cr123 batteries and has a larger reflective bezel..

For a Duty weapons light I would stick with the Fury since don't know the reliability of the Fenix. For any other use at 1/3 the price and 2/3's then size and only a few lumens less light I would get the Fenix .

a3075811c839eb77b1ab5d924e866b74.jpg