Happy New Year All!

Some of you may have heard of a carry rights Survey that is being circulated on various Facebook groups and on Gun For Hire Radio, some of you may have already participated.

For those of you that have not, please take a few seconds to take this quick survey. The end results will be shared with you all, including on Gun For Hire Radio and also shared with other NJ Gun rights orginizations

The purpose of this survey is to evaluate the needs of you, the NJ good, law abiding resident on the right to carry. There is a greater plan that "MAY" follow this survey, it is still in the planning phase and we hope to roll out the plan (or two) in the Spring time. I understand that a similar mass carry application project was discussed a little over a year ago, but that project died (or never took off). NJ2AR, an independent gun rights advocacy group is heading up this survey.

you may take the survey at the link provided below or fax/email it with the PDF attached

Please read below and visit the web link PLEASE READ QUESTION 2 COMPLETELY before choosing the answer. Thank you, Albert Almeida

www.nj2ar.org

NJ Carry survey questions published.pdf

Is it just me or are you unable to type in some of the fields?

Not to sure but it may be on your end? I am not aware of other people having that issue? Let me know how it works out or use the pdf version attached?

I filled in the survey but I have questions.

I wish I knew more about their specific strategy. Current law requires demonstrable need based on specific situations. Which is defined any way they like.

Let's say, best-case scenario, we get 500 people applying and all are turned down. How does that number figure with the number that are granted each year counting everyone including retired cops? They'll change the number they brag about from 92% to 63% or 40% or even 30%, which reasonably falls within the realm of "may-issue."

(I'd guess more like 100 people will actually apply, so the percentage only goes down by a bit).

What will have been proven, and how is that the basis of a lawsuit? And most important, where do we find a court friendly to this cause?

I filled in the survey but I have questions.

I wish I knew more about their specific strategy. Current law requires demonstrable need based on specific situations. Which is defined any way they like.

Let's say, best-case scenario, we get 500 people applying and all are turned down. How does that number figure with the number that are granted each year counting everyone including retired cops? They'll change the number they brag about from 92% to 63% or 40% or even 30%, which reasonably falls within the realm of "may-issue."

(I'd guess more like 100 people will actually apply, so the percentage only goes down by a bit).

What will have been proven, and how is that the basis of a lawsuit? And most important, where do we find a court friendly to this cause?

X2 - I asked similar questions, and got no real answer.  Accordingly, I have not filled-out their survey.

Additionally, once your carry request is 'Denied' - This means you have a firearms denial on your records...does this now mean you would have to answer "yes" every time you apply for a new FID or PTP?

From what I understand, Justifiable Need is "loosely" defined by AG.  All we need (as first step) is to get a documented (and favorable) definition.

Long term, we have to get 2A into state constitution. 

I dont know answer, but I believe the political environment now is as favorable as it can be.  We would go in circles if politicians wont move and courts wont move.

How can we get the AG to define and document the "Justifiable Need" in favor of 2A ?

Additionally, once your carry request is 'Denied' - This means you have a firearms denial on your records...does this now mean you would have to answer "yes" every time you apply for a new FID or PTP?

Yes, you are correct.  You would need to answer "yes," and follow with the simple explanation, "The State of NJ did not deem that I had justifiable need."

Or more to the point, "The State of NJ did not deem my life to be worth defending.."

From what I understand, Justifiable Need is "loosely" defined by AG.  All we need (as first step) is to get a documented (and favorable) definition.

Long term, we have to get 2A into state constitution. 

I dont know answer, but I believe the political environment now is as favorable as it can be.  We would go in circles if politicians wont move and courts wont move.

How can we get the AG to define and document the "Justifiable Need" in favor of 2A ?

Don't know if this is the exact definition, as per the law, of justifiable need but it's close:

“urgent necessity for self-protection, as evidenced by specific threats or previous attacks which demonstrate a special danger to the applicant’s life that cannot be avoided by means other than by issuance of a permit to carry a handgun."

Is this written into some law or is really a matter of the AG's discretion? 'Cause it seems to me that simply changing the definition to "all legal purposes" would do the trick.

Honestly how many ex-cops really qualify based on "justifiable need"? You don't hear of many former officers being confronted, years after retirement, by criminals they helped put away.

^^^ Exactly. I remember many here quoting this to be within AG discretion.  The change is simple and within our reach, yet far, far, very far away.

BTW, I am happy for the ex-cops or any other groups and individual who got CCW. More the merrier. But I believe they got because of union strength and campaigns. Who wants to be THE politician who put cops life at risk ?

We need similar campaigns. We need to bring out politicians (both sides of aisle) and see who wants to put lives of women, minority women, single mothers, military members, fire fighters lifes at risk.  Its definitive win even if one group gets CCW.

Yes, you are correct.  You would need to answer "yes," and follow with the simple explanation, "The State of NJ did not deem that I had justifiable need."

Or more to the point, "The State of NJ did not deem my life to be worth defending.."

I believe OP has been denied an NJ CCW, but hasn't had a problem getting P2Ps since then.

I would love ccw in NJ but I would like to legally buy a handgun without getting my local chief of police's permission when he/she is good and ready to sign off on it and when his/her designee gets around to notifying me that my permission slip is ready for pick up which is sometimes a week after the permission slip has been signed!