Blake

What was your least favorite gun purchase?

I was thinking about this today, how I have bought several things over the past few years without shooting them first.  When I got to the range and shot them all I could think was - why the f did I just spend the money on this...

Obviously this is subjective to personal taste but I am curious what guns you guys have bought that you just outright hated.  Here are a few of mine:

1 - HK USC carbine - One of these popped up locally and I had always thought they were really neat so I bought it.  When I got it home it felt cheap to me.  Even though all the polymer and internals were well constructed I just didn't get a quality feel to it.  I also was not able to get a comfortable grip on the rifle due to the shape of the stock.  When I got it to the range I felt it kicked like a mule and the accuracy wasn't exemplary even at 50yds.  I do get why a UMP would be a cool gun to have, but the USC is a far cry from the FA UMP.  

2 - Taurus CT carbine - Same issue as above not being able to get a good grip on the rifle due to the fixed stock.  Mags are proprietary and can't be found.  The rail as I recall was plastic and would get torn apart taking optics on/off.  

3 - POF P308 - Great looking rifle, factory trigger was excellent, fit and finish were good.  My gripe is that the upper sits higher off the stock than a standard rifle and you either need a cheek riser or ultra low rings to get a good sight picture through a scope or dot.  

4 - IWI baby eagle in 40sw.  I know people love these guns but I felt that the recoil was unmanageable compared to other 40sw handguns I own and I had consistent issues with all of the mags I had for it.  It was also heavy as a brick.

5 - Sig Mosquito.  Enough said I imagine.  Pain in the ass to clean due to the fixed barrel and it was a jam o matic.  

This last one wasn't a problem with the gun, rather my lack of paying attention.  I bought a 50 beowulf ar/ammo package without realizing that I can't shoot it at my range  :suicide:

On the flip side things I bought without shooting and fell in love with:  p226, cz sp01, Tavor, SCAR 17, Noveske ar's

Sooooo, what do you wish you never purchased....

Beretta 92FS... didn't have removable/upgradeable sights and the grip was too thick.  And, I didn't realize that I didn't want a handgun that big and that I didn't want a DA/SA version, or one with a safety.  I didn't hate it though.  I thought it looked awesome, it was quality and well-made...

Walther PPKs .380.   I purchased it from a friend to use as a carry gun (when I could carry in PA).  It concealed well but was heavy for a carry gun and the slide dug into my hand every time I shot it; regardless of hand position. 

HK P2000 9mm v1 LEM

Bought it because...

I have everything else around it (P30, P2000SK)

Wanted to try the LEM trigger

It's not a BAD gun, it just doesn't make sense with everything else. It's bigger than a P2000SK so it doesn't conceal as well; it's 13 rnds instead of 15 like the P30 so if I'm OC'ing I'd rather take the P30; I shoot the P30 and P2000SK better; I'm not a fan of LEM I've decided.

An original Ruger SR9, which I really liked at first. Bought the gun, went to the range twice, then had to sit on it until I was authorized to send it back for the recall. When I got it back the trigger was horrible. I bitched and bitched and finally someone traded me an M&P9 for it and I am happy.

My S&W 686+ 3" .357 revolver.

Grip is too big for my small hands. I guess I was too distracted by the shiny stainless steel when first handling it to notice, lol. And I assume people who whine about bore axis don't own any revolvers. I'm undecided on selling it because 1) the first timers I bring to the range absolutely love it,  2) I'm hoping my wife eventually comes around to enjoy shooting, and she did enjoy a revolver during her First Steps class, and 3) it looks pretty in my safe.

My Stag 15 rifle, but not because of the gun, but because it was the sole 5.56 they had in the store during the panic.  I paid top dollar.  Later I decided it was too big and heavy for my needs and sold it for pennies to free up a little cash.  The used market on the auction sites has been pretty quiet lately, and that is killing resale.

Marlin lever in 357. I bought a Remington built Marlin. The action was horrible. The wood was poorly fit. I was happy to sell it. I got a Rossi 92 lever in 357 to replace it and it is a much better rifle. I took a chance last year on a Remington Marlin 1895 in 45-70. That is a much better built gun. Supposedly quality control has finally gotten up to par for Marlins.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bersa Thunder in 380

This was essentially my impulse buy when I started having some financial issues and couldn't have afforded a more expensive gun, but at the same time didn't want a permit to expire (I got it for ~$260 or so new online).

Visually this gun is a beast (at least in my view), it has some classic PPK / Makarov style view, but it stings sooooooooo hard when it shoots. I guess that's because of its relatively low weight + a frame construction with a barrel permanently attached to the frame - my wife shot it 3 or 4 times and told me she'd never ever take it again as it hurts her older hand trauma very much. I have essentially similar feelings, though not that acute.

I wish I just went with a used Glock back then.

Others that fell to the wayside:

Sig 1911-22 - Loved the feel of this gun, I just didn't feel that the quality level was up to snuff for keeping it. 

Ruger Single Six - Admired this beautiful blued and accurate gun.  Just hated the single action loading and unloading, and it was a new model one with a less-than-desirable trigger. 

What's next on the chopping block.  For  me, its the Ruger SR22.  I like the SR22, but it is just not for me.  I should have gotten a Buckmark, Ruger 22/45 Lite, or even a NAA Sidewinder.  Yet, I know people that love that little SR22.

Perhaps we should start a thread about the ones regret getting rid of.

I don't really like my first gun. A Mossberg 835, sbould have gotten an 870. At the time I didnt know it cant shoot slugs.

I bought it in 1999, it worked great for a long time but every now and then the live rounds in the tube would just fall out oc the bottom of the gun. About 4 years ago they would fall out every time I pulled the trigger. I sent it back to Mossberg to get repaired and it still happenes. 

I will never buy anything from Mossberg again.

Bersa Thunder in 380

This was essentially my impulse buy when I started having some financial issues and couldn't have afforded a more expensive gun, but at the same time didn't want a permit to expire (I got it for ~$260 or so new online).

Visually this gun is a beast (at least in my view), it has some classic PPK / Makarov style view, but it stings sooooooooo hard when it shoots. I guess that's because of its relatively low weight + a frame construction with a barrel permanently attached to the frame - my wife shot it 3 or 4 times and told me she'd never ever take it again as it hurts her older hand trauma very much. I have essentially similar feelings, though not that acute.

I wish I just went with a used Glock back then.

Exactly my story! The only addition would be that it failed twice and had to be sent for service. Would be the first one I'd sell if pressed to. 

Yugo M48 Mauser...wasnt expecting much from this gun but trigger was horrendous, hated sights..bolt manipulation felt terrible..spent days getting the cosmo off and still had it oozing out years later and ammo wasn't exactly in stock everywhere..Shot a 1903 and sold the M48 right afterward

the new Remington 870 express, the one with the one piece magazine tube.

cant change barrels

Horrible finish

didn't feed some shotgun shells

Purchased a 590sp and it eats everything.

Still have it?  There's a recall...

My least favorite purchase?  Don't have one.

sold it a while ago.  This isn't the first recall, at one time remington sent me a new, redesigned trigger group.  Still have the old one collecting dust somewhere.

Mossberg 935 auto loader. It would constantly jam no matter what shells I used. Took it apart cleaned everything, polished all the moving parts I could get to. It is better now but I don't really use it often only chambered for 3" & 3.5". I bought a Browning Maxis to replace it, much better gun.

My least favorite would be an old T53 mosin I used to have. 

One gun I regret selling is the 92FS...  I shoulda stayed with 9mm.  So much cheaper to shoot

I love my 92FS, others hate them.  I guess it just fits my hand well.  What I really like is popping in a magazine into the Storm or the 92 at will.  Smaller need to keep too many ammo types on hand (and mags).

And as you mentioned, the cost per round isn't all that bad.

S&W 63 - 22lr revolver. The most boring gun to shoot.

i had one too (8shot), was fun for a bit but, yes got boring. Gave it to my wife for xmas lol- she loves it. perfect gun to get her into (sort of) shooting and she likes it so win win.