WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot

Tighter rules for N.J. gun dealers, manufacturers proposed by Christie administration

http://www.nj.com/politics/index.ssf/2015/01/tighter_rules_for_nj_gun_dealers_manufacturers_proposed_by_christie_administration.html

http://njsp.org/news/pdf/rp_20141215_1354.pdf

TRENTON - The Christie administration has proposed tighter security requirements for gun retailers, wholesalers and manufacturers, and their employees, in response to several thefts and lapses in oversight during the past decade that led to at least one death.

The rules, proposed last month by the State Police, come as Gov. Chris Christie considers a possible run for the White House in 2016. A successful campaign would require him to do well in rural, gun-loving states including Iowa, New Hampshire and South Carolina, which all hold early presidential caucuses or primaries.

Just last month, Christie said in a television interview that the extensive gun laws in New Jersey, a majority Democratic state, "might be a little too strict."

The new rules would require dealers to immediately notify state and local police if their security systems fail. If a system cannot be fixed within 24 hours, the dealer may move the guns to another licensed location with approval of the State Police.

The proposal would require no guns or ammunition be stored at a location other than the licensed premises without permission from State Police. Also, dealers would have to report lost or stolen guns within 24 hours, down from the current 48 hours.

Other changes include requiring dealers and manufacturers to make gun records available for inspection to State Police, and prohibiting anyone on the Terror Watch List from being issued a permit to purchase a handgun or firearms identification card.

The new rules, published Dec. 15 in the New Jersey Register, are intended to hold the state's approximately 377 licensed retail and registered wholesale dealers and manufacturers "more accountable for their employees and inventory of firearms."

"In the past 10 years, there have been numerous incidents of thefts, some resulting in catastrophic consequences," the State Police wrote in the rule proposal.

For example, in 2003, a Washington Township, Warren County, police officer was shot with a gun built out of stolen parts the shooter illegally obtained as an employee of a retailer, State Police said in the proposal. In a 2007 inspection of the same dealership, approximately 40 guns were unaccounted for in the inventory, State Police said.

Also that year, in a two-month period, another large dealership had 62 guns stolen, State Police said. In 2004, another dealership was burglarized, resulting in the theft of eight handguns and a large amount of ammunition, according to State Police. As a result, an accidental shooting occurred, killing one of three juveniles involved in the theft.

"From 2012 to the present time, there have been six reported incidents of thefts and/or lost firearms from retail dealers," State Police said in the proposal. "It is critical and in the best interest of public safety, health, and welfare that retail and wholesale dealers and manufacturers of firearms be held to the highest standards of security to prohibit the possibility of a firearm being used in the commission of a violent crime."

A spokesman for the State Police, Capt. Stephen Jones, said the amendments were recommended by the division's firearms unit to "try to close perceived safety problems." He said they were reviewed and approved by acting state Attorney General John Hoffman. Christie's office did not return a request for comment.

The rule proposal would also require that employees obtain a retail license in order to access any records of gun buying and selling kept by a dealer, and that separate licenses must be held for each location where the employee works.

"The division believes that any negative economic impact on the firearms industry resulting from implementation of the proposed amendments and new rules is more than offset by greater accountability and integrity within the industry and an overall positive impact on public welfare and safety," according to the rule proposal.

Scott Bach, executive director of the Association of NJ Rifle & Pistol Clubs, said his group and a Second Amendment lawyer were reviewing the proposal. Public comments on the proposal can be submitted by Feb. 13 to the State Police Firearms Investigation Unit.

Re: Non-sales to persons on the Terrorist Watch List. This is an end run around the legislature. This was in a bill that was defeated last year. The vagueness of how someone ends up on the watch list and the near impossibility of having your name removed, and the biggest civil rights violation: Depriving someone of their rights without due process, is a dangerous road to go down. It is exactly this kind of thing that the separation of powers was designed to prevent.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

TRENTON - The Christie administration has proposed tighter security requirements for gun retailers, wholesalers and manufacturers, and their employees, in response to several thefts and lapses in oversight during the past decade that led to at least one death.

The Christie administration is responding to Operation Fast and Furious?

It led to the death of one of the perps. It says as much later on. The poor little urchin was just turning his life around when the evil gun got up from an FFL'S store room and shot the poor little thing.

Somebody should do something. Think of the children!

The terror watch list bill was signed by the governor on 8/8/13...

A3687 ScaSa (2R) Disqualifies person named on federal Terrorist Watchlist from obtaining firearms identification card or permit to purchase handgun.  

Bills and Joint Resolutions Signed by the Governor

Why not hold the criminal responsible for criminal acts???

People in this state always want to take away our God given, Constitutional rights before holding the criminals responsible for their deeds

Are government officials with big pockets left alone with firearms when they do their inspections/audits? 

Maybe there is a sting going on named Pinch and Scoot in which the Feds are pressuring law-abiding FFLs to make their firearms unsecured and look the other way.  It's hard to believe that there could be such a problem with firearms thefts at dealerships. The citizens should be able to examine those examples.  And, how many examples of missing or stolen guns from police custody or police disarmament are on the books?   Have any of these thefts been solved, and if so, where are the perps, now.  Where any solvable in the 24 hours following the theft?

Re: Non-sales to persons on the Terrorist Watch List. This is an end run around the legislature. This was in a bill that was defeated last year. The vagueness of how someone ends up on the watch list and the near impossibility of having your name removed, and the biggest civil rights violation: Depriving someone of their rights without due process, is a dangerous road to go down. It is exactly this kind of thing that the separation of powers was designed to prevent.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

christie signed that bill last year.  yet who can blame them.  half the people on this forum and on the Facebook postings didn't have an issue with it.

I got an email that they received my info and to contact them for more imformation. No idea why they would want me to contact them. Where the hell are all the local organizations that specialize in this stuff. Shouldn't they be helping with some direction?

This law signifies four things to me.  First, if Christie is willing to allow this, then he is showing his colors to the rest of the nation and that could mean that he has decided to forgo higher office and that any agenda for NJ that he sees fit could be enacted.  This in turn would give him license to work with the NJ Democrats and the key law-enforcement officials he put in place to possibly go against freedom and personal property.   This could be more along his personal anti-gun view toward firearms, or it could be a move to appease the overbudding, foolish liberal population in this state in order to remain governor. 

The second thing is that although the proposed laws harass legal gun businesses, and would make them, as victims of a crime, criminals in their own right if they aren't able to figure out and respond immediately as to where all their inventory is, that is just fluff in this bill.  Yes, harrass freedom loving 2nd. Amendmet minded citizens that have legal, private businesses. 

The third thing is that these additional proposals are really meant to divert attention away from the real meat of this legislation, allowing the State Police to examine FFL records which would invade citizens' privacy and further really harass the FFLs who could be subject to an "inspection" every day or at any time.   If that element of government invasion of privacy was the ONLY part of this proposed legislation, then it would get too much press, nationally.  But, by putting it on "page five" figuratively, it is meant to bury and obscure it with the other flufff part of the legislation aimed at infringing on the rights of dealers. 

And, of course the fourth thing is the terror watch list which takes away someone's due process rights and has already been abused.   Christie, earlier opposed this.  But what has changed for him to flip?  How does someone get on this list?  How do you know if you are on it, and what can you do about it?  How can there be as many "terrorists" on this list as there are, roaming around this country.  Perhaps they are on this list to keep them from leaving. 

These laws do nothing to stop criminals and improve safety of the citizens, but rather are aimed to put more regulations and take away more freedoms of the people. And, when did the State Police and the executive branch become originators of laws.  I thought that that was the job of the state congress.

Lastly, why is this coming out now when Christie had said that NJ had too many arduous gun laws perhaps just a month ago?  Why isn't he trying to rectify that instead of increasing them? 

Owning a magazine that holds more than 15 rounds makes you a felon with a permanent record yet the potus is setting free known terrorist who have taken up arms agains this once great Country and killed US citizens. I don't get it?????????

Terrorists are gonna get guns. They don't need NJ based FFL's to help get them watered down shit. That's a dumb thing for them to fight us on. Just another bullshit "feel good" piece of legislation that does nothing but make it harder for US law abiding citizens to get guns should they want to use that loophole against us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Owning a magazine that holds more than 15 rounds makes you a felon with a permanent record yet the potus is setting free known terrorist who have taken up arms agains this once great Country and killed US citizens. I don't get it?????????

In order to understand that, you would need to conceptualize who the president really has allegiances to.  You would also have to consider that he may in fact favor one religion over another, and lastly, that a couple of secondary goals of all actions are to divide and conquer and of course to cause more chaos and strife.   But to get back on topic, remember the photo op the governor did right before the election?  The Gov, may in fact be much more RINO-like progressive than was previously thought, as reflected in this legislation.

Terrorists are gonna get guns. They don't need NJ based FFL's to help get them watered down shit. That's a dumb thing for them to fight us on. Just another bullshit "feel good" piece of legislation that does nothing but make it harder for US law abiding citizens to get guns should they want to use that loophole against us.

So, who is Christie trying to either appease or stick it to with this "feel good" legislation, and why is the timing of this now?