JohnnyB

Looking for a.22 pistol that will eat anything!

Ruger 22/45 Target pistol is extremely reliable..........................

^This. Always recommend them as mine eats anything, mags are cheap and readily available and good aftermarket support. Just need to get over the less than easy breakdown procedure.

Watch out, there's that nifty mag loader that enables you to burn through rounds at a record pace, so better have a good supply of .22.

Just wanted to point out the fact that the M&P 22 is basically on the downswing if not discontinued .... Walther/Umarex (most people do not realize Umarex acquired Walther some time ago, so Walther is not Walther anymore, it's been Umarex for a long time now, it's NOT the same...) had a strategic partnership with Smith and Wesson for also some time.  Therefore, the M&P22 was a Umarex produced firearm sent to Smith and Wesson as a S&W M&P labeled firearm... however, Smith and Wesson dissolved their partnership with Walther/Umarex a year or two back, ( I forget when) ... and the M&P22 is going to stop being produced if it has not been already.  

The M&P 22 Compact is a totally in-house product of Smith and Wesson and designed to mirror the M&P lineup.  (Although it is single-action hammer fired rather than striker fired operation).  Also it's not exactly a mini pistol, it is precisely 87.5% the size of the full-size M&P lineup. .... it's not a baby gun by any stretch of the imagination.

Anyway I just wanted to point this out... it's not like it's a CCW-sized gun for pockets or purses.  It's a great gun.

Just wanted to point out the fact that the M&P 22 is basically on the downswing if not discontinued .... Walther/Umarex (most people do not realize Umarex acquired Walther some time ago, so Walther is not Walther anymore, it's been Umarex for a long time now, it's NOT the same...) had a strategic partnership with Smith and Wesson for also some time.  Therefore, the M&P22 was a Umarex produced firearm sent to Smith and Wesson as a S&W M&P labeled firearm... however, Smith and Wesson dissolved their partnership with Walther/Umarex a year or two back, ( I forget when) ... and the M&P22 is going to stop being produced if it has not been already.  

The M&P 22 Compact is a totally in-house product of Smith and Wesson and designed to mirror the M&P lineup.  (Although it is single-action hammer fired rather than striker fired operation).  Also it's not exactly a mini pistol, it is precisely 87.5% the size of the full-size M&P lineup. .... it's not a baby gun by any stretch of the imagination.

Anyway I just wanted to point this out... it's not like it's a CCW-sized gun for pockets or purses.  It's a great gun.

Interesting. Did not know the 22 compact was fully made by S&W. This model is probably the one to buy.

Interesting. Did not know the 22 compact was fully made by S&W. This model is probably the one to buy.

Went to my local shop yesterday and pretty much had my mind made up on the 22 Compact, they actually had one in stock, so I got to hold it against the SR22 and I have one permit left. Sadly I'm leaving the country for a couple weeks tomorrow, so I decided to wait until I get home to add this M&P to my collection, but every review I see on it says it is great and eats everything (including some subsonic sniper 40 grain ammo that it isn't supposed to). Hoping it will be a great addition to teach the wife and kid with. I can say my buddy and I put about 300 rounds through a MkIII Hunter two weeks ago without a hiccup, and he said he hasn't seen one yet through all his practice for comp shooting with it.

I have the Sig 1911-22, I love, love, love that gun. The owner’s manual recommends mini mags but when I bought the gun they were so scarce I could not get my hands on them. I put whatever could be purchased at the time through it. The Sig worked fine, and at about the 250-300 round mark the slide really started feeling super smooth. This gun has some weight to it, no plastic so the barrel rise is pretty much none existent, makes you want to keep pulling the trigger. Never tried Thunderbolts in it so can’t say for sure but I have used lots of different brand standard velocity ammo without complaint. If I had to buy a .22 pistol over again I would no doubt get the 1911-22 again.    

Just came across this for the SR-22 lover's here.

http://www.newjerseyhunter.com/forums/showthread.php?t=180702

Thanks,

That's a fair price used in mint condition w/5 mags.  I don't have my P2P yet and never heard of readington township

so I figure it's way up north for me living across the river from Philadelphia!!!  Would be nice to buy F2F without the $15 NICS charge

but I feel the gas and tolls would eat that up quick!!!

Thanks,

That's a fair price used in mint condition w/5 mags. I don't have my P2P yet and never heard of readington township

so I figure it's way up north for me living across the river from Philadelphia!!! Would be nice to buy F2F without the $15 NICS charge

but I feel the gas and tolls would eat that up quick!!!

That's in Hunterdon county, I consider that to be south Jersey.

Wait, I just thought about it! I can't do a FTF transfer with a handgun. I would have to go with the seller to an FFL an incur the transfer charge whereas if I bought

the same gun new from a local dealer I would only have to pay NICS!!  Might pay to buy local!

Wait, I just thought about it! I can't do a FTF transfer with a handgun. I would have to go with the seller to an FFL an incur the transfer charge whereas if I bought

the same gun new from a local dealer I would only have to pay NICS!!  Might pay to buy local!

? if you both are from NJ you can do a face to face transfer seller fills out permit a private sale and mails in the copies or you can mail them yourself to make sure it is done.

the same gun new from a local dealer I would only have to pay NICS!! Might pay to buy local!

No, you can do a FTF transfer for a handgun as long as you and the seller are both NJ residents, and you have valid permit in hand. No need for an FFL for that. The seller is responsible for sending the two copies of your permit out one to your local PD that issued the permit to you, and one copy to the state police within 7 days of the sale. You keep one copy and the seller keeps one copy. Now if you're buying a handgun from an out of state seller the handgun must be sent to an FFL and then transfered to you, then the FFL sends out the paperwork.

Just want to throw this in for those who are following this thread ..

I had the chance to take out the M&P 22 Compact twice this week... First, on Tuesday, my younger sister was visiting down here from Jersey and I took her to my property and the newly created berm (I have a sweet, sweet shooting setup now) for some fun... In  addition to a few other things, we really let her concentrate on shooting the M&P22C and it was not only a lot of fun for her, her fundamentals and grip/stance/posture/positioning and certainly end result aka accuracy improved dramatically.  Some of this I will admit is not *exactly* the M&P22C's credit *per se* but I have to tell you, it's the perfect size, perfect grip and texture etc. and certainly functions perfectly.

I then cleaned it up and took it out myself today at my local indoor range/club.  I shot it fantastically and it really puts the rounds where it's supposed to.  Granted I am no competition shooter nor was I shooting like it but the gun really does its part.  It has really broken into a fine gun which rarely if ever malfunctions, and when it does it's clearly ammo-related.  Speaking of which, it shoots HPs fine but really loves 40gr RN bullets... I had some amazing results with both Blazer and particularly CCI Standard Velocity 40 gr round nose bullets.  This is in addition to plenty of accuracy and nary a malfunction with Federal AutoMatch, shot the bulk of a 550 rd Federal Value Pack 36 gr HPs, and plenty of CCI Mini Mags 36 gr HPs.  I also have worked through a 100rd box of Winchester SUPER X 37 gr HPs.. it seems Winchester and Smith and Wesson agreed to a marketing deal with this gun and their ammo so I would surmise you would get results from Winchester, they had to test it extensively.

I wouldn't tell anyone NOT to buy another gun if they wanted but I can tell you I have a fair amount of shooting experience, a moderate collection of firearms and ammo , and plenty of internet forum hours, and this gun is a winner, the vast majority of its owners have agreed, and the price is outstanding... So if this is the type of gun you're looking for, I highly recommend this.

Another vote for sr22. I've never had a gun related problem with it after thousands of rounds. Only issues I've had are with a batch of Remington thunderbolts not firing. It's my wife's gun and she loves it. I can barely hold it in my hands because it's bite sized.

Exactly, you already shelled out $22 for the permit/background check. No reason to pay again unless your buying brand new.

What's with the $22.00??? I gave my local PD $4.00, $2 for each of two permits and got them in the mail today, 10 days later!

Most PDs make you do a background check each time you apply for permits...$20 for the online check plus $2 for the permit.

Or....Move to Texas, get a CHL and you don't even need NICS to purchase anything.

This signature is AWESOME!!!

What's with the $22.00??? I gave my local PD $4.00, $2 for each of two permits and got them in the mail today, 10 days later!

$20 for the online background check, $2 per permit. =$22.00.... Some towns still do it the old fashioned way with an $18 money order, + $2 per permit. Your township doesn't require a background check, for a pistol permit application?

$20 for the online background check, $2 per permit. =$22.00.... Some towns still do it the old fashioned way with an $18 money order, + $2 per permit. Your township doesn't require a background check, for a pistol permit application?

No, not at all!  This is my 2nd set of permits in 3 months and just $4.00 per set. They don't even check my references! They do not ask for anything other than the request form and $2.00 per permit!

I received the permits 8 business days after turning them in. I suppose this is unusual??? Should I write a letter to the Chief of Police to thank him for such great service?

No, not at all! This is my 2nd set of permits in 3 months and just $4.00 per set. They don't even check my references! They do not ask for anything other than the request form and $2.00 per permit!

I received the permits 8 business days after turning them in. I suppose this is unusual??? Should I write a letter to the Chief of Police to thank him for such great service?

I would keep my mouth shut to the chief if I were you. What municipality?

I would keep my mouth shut to the chief if I were you. What municipality?

If you advise me to keep my mouth shut to the Chief and I respond in an open forum which municipality I live in, am in effect not keeping my mouth shut???

To the best of your knowledge, Is my town breaking any rules?  I am a former LEO in my town but that was 30 years ago! I doubt the current Chief would even know of me!

If you advise me to keep my mouth shut to the Chief and I respond in an open forum which municipality I live in, am in effect not keeping my mouth shut???

To the best of your knowledge, Is my town breaking any rules? I am a former LEO in my town but that was 30 years ago! I doubt the current Chief would even know of me!

To my knowledge this is an unusual practice, in any municipality. Keep that information to yourself about which township we are speaking of as well. It sounds to me like you almost live in America. Good for you sir! Not typical AFAIK. The legality is a question I must research. I do know that the police chief always has the last say for the issuance of FPID & P2P.