MikeL

Need to order a few more parts for my first build

Hi, guys. Looking for some advice for my first build after doing a ton of research the past few weeks.

Here is what I've ordered so far:

• Anderson Lower
  • BCM Standard 14.5" Mid Length (LIGHT WEIGHT) Upper Receiver Group (link)
  • BCM BCG
  • BCM Gunfighter CH Mod 4
  • BCM Gunfighter Comp Mod 1

Still unsure what handguards I'll be doing. Probably going to try the MOE, but have used a friend's quad rail & liked the feel of his AR, too.

Where I need help is the LPK & stock/buffer. I was going to order this from PSA, but I don't feel like waiting 3-4 weeks since all my other parts are due in tomorrow.

Is anyone here partial to a particular LPK & stock/buffer? I'm more so in the dark about stock & buffer. I know that I can get a myriad of LPKs like Spikes, CMMG, DPMS, Joe Bob, Rock River, Radical, Daniel Defense, etc.

Also, am I missing anything in this build? Rear sight or optic, I guess?

Thanks in advance!

Poke around on SlickGuns.com and you will see some good deals come up.

If you want to go with an upgraded trigger the Giesselle SSA enhanced is very nice and the Spike's Tactical battle trigger is pretty crisp as well.

http://www.slickguns.com/product/super-semi-enhanced-lower-parts-kit-featuring-geissele-ssa-e-trigger-22995-650-sh

This kit from Spike's comes with the Ergo grip which is awesome with our without gloves dry or wet.

http://www.primaryarms.com/Spike_s_Tactical_Lower_Parts_Kit_Enhanced_p/slpk301.htm

You will still need to get the buffer kit and stock with those. Spike's has a great Buffer kit with their Tungsten T2 buffer and aluminum buffer tube.

https://www.primaryarms.com/Spike_s_Tactical_6_Position_Mil_Spec_Buffer_Tube_A_p/sla500r-k.htm

MOE handguard is nice. You can buy the separate rails and attach them pretty much anywhere on it. Very light as well.

MOE Handguards are a great piece if kit, they will serve you well.

For LPK, look to forum vendor Midwest PX:

http://midwestpx.com/product_info.php?cPath=100&products_id=659

Great value, especially when you consider you are getting a significantly upgraded trigger group.

For an optic I always say to buy quality and spend a little more to get something that will last, think best value for you money vs. lowest price. Aimpoint PRO is my go to option. It can not be beat for the price - with a little research they can be found for ~$350

Magpul MBUS is an adequate rear sight for a backup. I would get something more substantial for a rear sight of I wasn't getting an optic. LMT and DD make excellent fixed rear sights, Troy is pretty much the standard for flip-ups.

As for stocks, I would say go with a Magoul fixed carbine stock (you would still need to get a receiver extension separately) or an A1 GI stock. No need to pin anything, they are both well made, and very affordable.

Buy a mil-spec receiver extension (buffer tube) from a reputable company - BCM, VLTOR, Colt - they are a little more $$ but it's money well spent.

Avoid commercial tubes as they are weaker.

Make sure whatever you get is made from mil-spec materials as well as being mil-spec dimensions

If you have a little extra coin to spend, check out the Sully stock - it comes with the receiver extension and everything you need. It is outstanding! I really like mine.

I actually popped over to MidwestPX's site and did not find that LPK. I only found the 308 kit, DPMS, and Daniel Defense. Didn't click on the Combo Deals. The ALG is an awesome trigger as well.

Magpul fixed stock is pretty sweet as well, especially in NJ... haha

Optics - Buy once, cry once... Spend the money is right on.

MOE Handguards are a great piece if kit, they will serve you well.

For LPK, look to forum vendor Midwest PX:
http://midwestpx.com/product_info.php?cPath=100&products_id=659
Great value, especially when you consider you are getting a significantly upgraded trigger group.

For an optic I always say to buy quality and spend a little more to get something that will last, think best value for you money vs. lowest price.

Magpul MBUS is an adequate rear sight for a backup. I would get something more substantial for a rear sight of I wasn't getting an optic. LMT and DD make excellent fixed rear sights, Troy is pretty much the standard for flip-ups.

As for stocks, I would say go with a Magoul fixed carbine stock or an A1 GI stock. No need to pin anything, well made, and very affordable. If you have a little extra coin to spend, check out the Sully stock. It is outstanding! I really like mine.

Thanks for that link to Midwest PX. I ordered some mags from them earlier this week; they ship fast! I hear great things about that ACT trigger so for that price, why not. In fact, I ordered a few minutes ago & already have a shipping label created. I'm definitely a repeat customer.

I'll probably go with the Magpul Fixed Carbine (link). If I went with the BCM milspec receiver extension kit, which buffer weight would I select for my setup? 

Thanks for that link to Midwest PX. I ordered some mags from them earlier this week; they ship fast! I hear great things about that ACT trigger so for that price, why not. In fact, I ordered a few minutes ago & already have a shipping label created. I'm definitely a repeat customer.

I'll probably go with the Magpul Fixed Carbine (link). If I went with the BCM milspec receiver extension kit, which buffer weight would I select for my setup?

Thanks for the order! We're getting caught up having been pounded by snow and ridiculously cold temps. We were actually closed this morning as one of the pipes in my home froze so I kept the shop closed until just a couple hours ago. Damn winter...

Thanks for the order! We're getting caught up having been pounded by snow and ridiculously cold temps. We were actually closed this morning as one of the pipes in my home froze so I kept the shop closed until just a couple hours ago. Damn winter...

If you we're closer I would be there with my thaw machine for you! It's been getting quite a workout this week.

Thanks for all the advice, guys. Going with the BCM buffer kit & fixed length carbine. Those are the last parts that are due in next week.

Otherwise, I have everything else assembled, including the ACT trigger. Man this thing is crisp. One thing I know I'll want to change very shortly is the grip. The regular A2 grip + my small hands are uncomfortable. That tab is just digging into my ring finger.

Take a look at their Sling Mount Kit: http://store.magpul.com/product/MAG333/shotgun.

You can pair that with Midwest Industries recessed button swivel (or anyone's QD Swivel mount) and will have a pretty nice sling mount.

I'll probably go with the Magpul Fixed Carbine (link).

Do you offer the Buffer Tube Kit from BCM or Spike's?

If you can get your hands on an Ergo grip check it out. It is one beautiful grip. It feels like a huge rubbery eraser in the hand. Wet or dry, gloves or bare hands, it is sweet.

One thing I know I'll want to change very shortly is the grip.

Thanks, Tack. That Ergo grip looks nice. I usually like the type of grip that you're describing. And I'll definitely keep that sling setup in mind since that's something that is on the list once I get it up & running.

Well here she is! Thanks for all the advice & help everyone. Great to have a forum like this around. I know the BCM Comp is well debated, but it's what I went with. If it's ever deemed illegal for sure, be sure to let me know!

Hopefully I can get out to GFH this weekend to zero the dot in. Never done it before.

NbkCQrG.jpg?1

BtiarNN.jpg?1