Llama

Benelli M3 - Possible to Legally Own in NJ?

Dear Community,

As the topic title states, is there any possibility to legally own a Benelli M3 in the state of New Jersey. Is anyone on this forum a current owner of this gun?

I was shocked to learn that this gun is banned by the NJSP due to it resembling an assault weapon simply because of its pistol grip. I recall that the law used to allow for ONE feature to be present that resembles an assault weapon, but the pistol grip is some kind of special evil in NJ.

I called a few gun stores who told me that Benelli does not offer a standard (non-pistol grip) stock for the M3, but does for the M4. The only downside for me is that I really wanted the dual action (auto switchable into pump).

If an M3 is completely impossible to attain legally, could someone recommend a shotgun with similar reliability/longevity as Benelli and with the dual mode action?

Much appreciated,

D

Benelli M4 for Semi. Benelli Super Nova Tactical for pump...... Not both in one...

Pump you can have any configuration. M4 only the field stock.

My M4

5815bae304d77de0edbd6f997bf3bae2.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I agree with Vlad, both features together are kind of useless. Go pump or go semi-auto.  Pump go Benelli Super Nova Tactical,  or for semi-auto you can try a Beretta 1301 Comp or Tactical. I am not a pistol grip fan on shotguns, so the Super Nova tactical with comfort tech stock and the Beretta 1301 Competition are my best choices.

The dual action thing is a unnecessary gimmick. Its not as if M2's or M4's break a lot. 

I do not agree that this is an unnecessary gimmick. If you are going to fire buck and slug only, you hardly have a need for a pump as your action will cycle perfectly nearly every time. However, bird shot will occasionally jam on you, and bean bag especially.

I want to have option to quickly pump my action rather than hope the auto-loader does not fail when using lower fps rounds.

That's where the M4 doesn't fail. It handles various gas issues with it's ARGO system. But then again, wait... Backing up. Birdseed and bean bag? How about telling us what you plan on using it for? We can assist you better.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Interesting, I've shot quite a few bird loads mixed with slugs and never had an issue. So do lots of other people. Maybe our guns are broken.

This.

With my M2 I've run many different kinds of ammo with a current steady diet of whatever birdshot Walmart has with no issues. Fiocchi low recoil slugs, Federal regular slugs, and Remington buck all shot with no issues as well. The only shell I had issues with was with Estate target loads#9.

I do not agree that this is an unnecessary gimmick. If you are going to fire buck and slug only, you hardly have a need for a pump as your action will cycle perfectly nearly every time. However, bird shot will occasionally jam on you, and bean bag especially.

I want to have option to quickly pump my action rather than hope the auto-loader does not fail when using lower fps rounds.

Vlad G, Bhunted, and others are correct - this is an unnecessary concern, but if it is giving you sleepless nights, the the simple answer is - wait for it......

Get a pump shotgun.

Take the money you save vs. the semi gun and buy ammo and take a class from a reputable instructor. With good initial training and proper practice - including dry fire and dummy rounds

- you will be just as fast with the pump as a semi. You can also put whatever stock/grip/mag extension you want on it with no issue.

I'm ignoring the bean bag and birdshot comment because that is such a bad idea I don't want to think about it too much, or all the blood in my body will shoot out of my nose....

Bean bags huh... better off with a paintball marker. I thought they would be great for bear deterrent, my neighbors disagreed with me. Besides I already have a Louisville Slugger that's "less lethal" than a shotgun with buckshot or slugs.

Vlad G, Bhunted, and others are correct - this is an unnecessary concern, but if it is giving you sleepless nights, the the simple answer is - wait for it......

Get a pump shotgun.

Take the money you save vs. the semi gun and buy ammo and take a class from a reputable instructor. With good initial training and proper practice - including dry fire and dummy rounds

- you will be just as fast with the pump as a semi. You can also put whatever stock/grip/mag extension you want on it with no issue.

I'm ignoring the bean bag and birdshot comment because that is such a bad idea I don't want to think about it too much, or all the blood in my body will shoot out of my nose....

It is not always the purpose of a gun to take a life.

Agreed. But shooting to wound (birdshot) and shooting to deter (Less Lethal) are both really bad ideas tactically and legally.

LEOs can't even use bean bags in NJ, and anything that comes out of a firearm is legally considered deadly force in NJ - regardless if it's a bean bag, birdshot, buckshot, or a slug.

In any event, the way to allay your concerns regarding the function of a semi-auto shotgun with a myriad of loads remains the same - get a pump gun.

Sooooo, you are going to make a floor lamp out if it? Come on bud.... You are new here and folks are trying to help you. You side step and will not be forthwith.

So, tell us your intent so we can advise you better or just find your info elsewhere.... There are a lot of seasoned weapon owners here that have all kinds if experience. So stop wasting our time and spill it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The purpose of my potential Benelli M3 purchase is for HD, range, skeet, hunting (fowl, deer), all-purpose really. Which is why the convertible auto-pump attracted me so much. It would be great to also learn both types of guns on a single firearm rather than buying two separate ones.

I have read countless reliability/longevity endorsements for Benelli, and with the Marines using this shotgun sealed the deal for me.

I investigated my issue further and it looks like I would need to process a custom order with Benelli through an FFL to have the stock customized to standard from its pistol grip variant.

I should be ok, thanks for your help (and bloodlust I guess, ha).

No bloodlust. Not even a little bit.

Just realistic expectations of a weapon system and use of force implications from a firearms instructor that teaches use of force.

There is no "wounding" or "warning" allowance in this state. There are no warning shots, no leg shots - If you are using a firearm in defense of yourself or your loved ones, it is deadly force or nothing in NJ. And your goal has to be to stop the threat, not maim, wound, or frighten - STOP.

Not to mention, if an encounter is at the point where you are going to guns, it is not the time to be kind hearted. At that point it is literally do-or-die (or at least that should be your perception of events). If you think there is wiggle room there, then by your admission a firearm is not a legally authorized tool. At the time you feel you need to shoot someone to save your life, anything less than your full and dedicated intent to physically stop the current threat as fast as possible and at all costs is doing you and your loved ones a great disservice.

Oh, And the Marines uses the M1014 shotgun, also known as the Benelli M4 - which uses the ARGO gas system as stated above - which is a completely different semi auto action than the M3's inertia driven system.

Well  ... and Benelli's are very popular in my gun game world, but the M2 and the M4. Actually I don't think I've ever known anyone who used an M4, if for no other reason that the M2 is the glock version of semi-auto shotguns, they just work pretty much forever, and the M4 is more expensive buy half for no good reason anyone can articulate. 

Well  ... and Benelli's are very popular in my gun game world, but the M2 and the M4. Actually I don't think I've ever known anyone who used an M4, if for no other reason that the M2 is the glock version of semi-auto shotguns, they just work pretty much forever, and the M4 is more expensive buy half for no good reason anyone can articulate. 

My understanding is the biggest difference is the ARGO system in M4s.

This is a sad fact for me. How exactly can frighten be illegal though? I can't cock a shotgun to discourage a robber? Fire a blank for the sound with the next cartridge being buck?

There is no "wounding" or "warning" allowance in this state. There are no warning shots, no leg shots - If you are using a firearm in defense of yourself or your loved ones, it is deadly force or nothing in NJ. And your goal has to be to stop the threat, not maim, wound, or frighten - STOP.

This is a sad fact for me. How exactly can frighten be illegal though? I can't cock a shotgun to discourage a robber? Fire a blank for the sound with the next cartridge being buck?

Think about this when your hanging with your Cell'ie, washing his laundry in a stainless steel toilet...

Or the above statement could be engraved as your epitaph...

Your view on home defense will end one of these two ways.

Also a "shot shell" goes into a "Shotgun". Everyone knows a "cartridge" is in a pear tree. Or maybe a rifle?...

:singing: and a cartridge in a pear tree....

It is simple.

If you rack a shotgun to thwart a threat that has not risen to the level where deadly force is authorized, that is aggravated assault.

If you fire a warning shot, to deter a threat that has not risen to the level of authorized deadly force, that is attempted murder.

If you fire a warning shot at someone who's actions have escalated to the point where deadly force is authorized, you have just wasted valuable time - time that you could have used to save a life, very possibly yours, and you have just launched a projectile into the ether -with no idea where it will land or who it will hurt. Big no-no.

If the threat has risen to the level where deadly force is authorized, i.e.: you are using a firearm (or any weapon, object, or physical force) to protect yourself, loved ones, or a third-party from significant serious bodily injury or death; why would you waste time posturing, threatening, racking a shotgun, or firing at something other than the immediate deadly threat?

This is a mindset issue. You need to reflect on what's important to you, and what you would do to protect it. If you don't have it in you to use a firearm with the intent to stop someone immediately, you should think long and hard about using a firearm for self defense.

It is simple.

If you rack a shotgun to thwart a threat that has not risen to the level where deadly force is authorized, that is aggravated assault.

If you fire a warning shot, to deter a threat that has not risen to the level of authorized deadly force, that is attempted murder.

If you fire a warming shot at someone who's actions have escalated to the point where deadly force is authorized, you have just waged valuable time that you could have used to save a life, and you have just launched a projectile into the ether with no use where it will land or who it will hurt.

If the threat has risen to the level where deadly force is authorized, i.e.: you are using a firearm (or any weapon, object, or physical force) to protect yourself, loved ones, or a third-party from significant serious bodily injury or death; why would you waste time posturing, threatening, racking a shotgun, or firing at something other than the immediate deadly threat?

This is a mindset issue. You need to reflect on what's important to you, and what you would do to protect it. If you don't have it in you to use a firearm with the intent to stop someone immediately, you should think long and hard about using a firearm for self defense.

This ^^^^^^^

My understanding is the biggest difference is the ARGO system in M4s.

That is correct. However just because the ARGO is different, and because the US military uses it, it doesn't mean better. Lets put it this way, Benelli is best known for the inertia systems, which are reliable, clean, long lasting, etc.  The ARGO isn't that systems which Benelli is famous for.  Its been around for some time, and it is not that popular. We call that clue :)

Its not that the M4 is a bad gun, because it is not, it's just that the M2 is a very good and very proven gun, and it is quite a bit cheaper.

If you fire a warning shot at someone who's actions have escalated to the point where deadly force is authorized, you have just wasted valuable time - time that you could have used to save a life, very possibly yours, and you have just launched a projectile into the ether -with no idea where it will land or who it will hurt. Big no-no.

Not sure how a) attempted murder can be done with a blank b) no projectile if its a blank.

Is it so difficult to accept that killing someone is a big deal EVEN if it is to save your own life? You have to live with this forever, you will question yourself constantly if you could have done something different; it's called being human.

I would not have a problem firing on someone who is firing on me, or someone who is charging me even though he clearly sees a weapon in my hands, or someone who is armed and on my property (warning him would not be wise), I get all these things. My only point was, if there is a safer alternative, I'd prefer to take it. Coking a shotgun will discourage ANY unarmed robber, and I highly doubt robbers call the police to let them know I cocked a shotgun and scared them after they broke into my home.