Sign in to follow this  
Johnny

Bear bites hunter then gets shot in NJ

I'm not quite sure you read the article. He was stepping over a fallen tree and landed on the mama bear. The mom protecting it's 4 cubs bit his BOOT and he severely wounded the bear by shooting it twice. He claimed the bear wouldn't let go of his boot. So obviously it wasn't a muzzle loader if he got 2 shots off before it let go.

Wildlife officers found and put the bear down. The bear crushed and killed 2 cubs while being shot. Sad story.

He must have some great situational awareness to hop off a fallen tree onto an adult bear.

http://www.dailyrecord.com/story/news/local/2015/01/15/bear-shot-biting-dover-cop/21825741/

Stepped over a tree and right onto a mama bear with her cubs. Not a hunter so I know nothing about the laws. It says he shot and killed bear with his rifle. I didnt think you could hunt Deer in NJ with a rifle.

When they den up under a dead fall tree, they usually bury themselves in a depression in the earth and cover themselves in leaves for additional warmth, as well as consealment for protection of her cubs.

Picture this: guy jumps off the dead tree and instead of solid ground under his feet steps on a sow and 4 cubs covered in a pile of leaves, that looks like leaves on the ground. Scary S#*t!

I can totally see this happening. I have been climbing over dead falls every hunting season since Sandy knocked them all down. I will definitely be looking twice before I leap from now on after hearing this story.

When I go out this March with the division biology team to tag cubs in dens, I will post pictures of what they look like in the den. Before they dart the sow and she gets up and goes crazy for a moment.

I got to see the 2 baby bears that did not get crushed by the mother bear on Tuesday at Woodlands wildlife refuge. So cool, they are half the size of a football right now. They are not out of the woods but they are both eating and gaining weight. Hopefully they make it.

Deerslayer- let me know if you guys need another able hand with the tagging of the cubs. I would love to help

I got to see the 2 baby bears that did not get crushed by the mother bear on Tuesday at Woodlands wildlife refuge. So cool, they are half the size of a football right now. They are not out of the woods but they are both eating and gaining weight. Hopefully they make it.

Deerslayer- let me know if you guys need another able hand with the tagging of the cubs. I would love to help

Will do. It's a really fun day, other than carrying all the equipment out into the middle of the woods lol. Definitely cool holding the cubs. When we dart the sow.