JaredC

Best cleaner and lube? froglube?

20 people could answer and give 20 different answers. 

For me, I clean with MPro7 (or Hoppes Elite - same product, different packaging) and use grease on slides (TW25B or EWG Slip 2000) and either Hoppes Elite Oil or i just got some Liquid Ball Bearings oil for Xmas that seems pretty good on the other parts that need lube.  I like using M Pro7/Hoppes Elite cleaner because it has almost no smell and I can clean in the kitchen without the wife complaining, AND it works really well

I have also used Ballistol and it works ok..  I also keep a bottle of Hoppes #9 and Bore Scrubber & Bore Cleaner on hand if the mood strikes me to use. 

Others who answer will swear by things like Breakfree CLP or Hoppes 9 or Mobil Oil or Froglube or (name your product) and they may work just fine. 

Most gun oil advertising is all snake oil really.  Most of it is stupid expensive for what it is.  I'm at the point at which I buy Breakfree CLP by the gallon and move it into spray bottles. Also Mobil One works fine as an oil, etc.   I do also like Fireclean but it is to damn expensive.

The thing you need to keep in mind is none of them are really preservatives regardless of what they claim. Long term storage requires a different set of chemicals.

I have not tried frog lube, but have read many good reviews of it.  I tested few other products and have my preference narrowed down to Ballistol as a general CLP,  Lucas Gun Oil, Tetra grease, and M-Pro 7 copper cleaner. Lately leaning toward the non toxic stuff if available, I beat the liver up enough at happy hour.  :drinks:

I love froglube. I don't know what the difference will be compared to other lubes after 20,000 rounds and storing the firearm in a bucket of salt water, but it works just fine for me with the benefit of being non-toxic and smelling nice. I personally hate handling guns with conventional products that have all the oil running down the grip.

I clean with Slip 2000's 725 cleaner. It seems to do a good job of cutting grease, carbon, and oil. It's my go-to cleaning product prior to installing muzzle devices. When I'm on the range and shooting, I'll use either Slip 2000 or Machine Gunner's Lube by Sprinco. After a cleaning and prior to storage, I only lubricate with the latter as it doesn't run as readily as Slip does.

I clean all my barrels with Hoppe's copper solvent and lubricate them wit 20-50 valvoline/brad penn racing oil i drain whats left out of the containers after changing the oil in race motors..  that last bit goes a long ways on firearms..

For my pistols: CLP for the barrel and high temperature lithium wheel grease on all lubrication points. If the pistol requires gun oil, I just use Mobil 1 Synthetic oil.

Btw I find the best and easiest way to clean polymer pistols is with solution of 1 part Simple Green and 3 parts water. Spray, wait 4 minutes, scrub, rinse, air dry, then lube.

I have 2 gallons of it if your interested.

I would but you're on the other side of the state unfortunately. I'm hoping the funshow has some tomorrow.

What is a good solvent? I have been using Hoppes. I like it. The birchwood casey copper stuff seems to work a bit better, but can't use it inside. I should try eds red but ATF mixed with acetone never impressed me.

What mobil 1 you guys using?

Half the shit out there is snake oil, but mobil 1 I know is good

Mobil 1 Synthetic 0W-40, honestly because thats what I use in my car :) But any high quality synthetic motor oil (Castrol, Mobil 1, etc) should do the trick.

Mobil 1 Synthetic 0W-40, honestly because thats what I use in my car :) But any high quality synthetic motor oil (Castrol, Mobil 1, etc) should do the trick.

Ah ha. That's the European spec.

I have plenty of dif mobil here. Now I need to find that oiling pen my father in law gave me...

Good trick boys!