Sign in to follow this  
paulg

Transportation within the state

Can you legally transport a firearm to a friend's house to shoot in their backyard for target practice? Let us assume there is plenty of acreage and this is not about local ordinances.Not for hunting or fishing.  Their home is not an authorized range or club. This isn't a trick question, but one I have  been trying to find an answer that is not anecdotal, i.e, "we go to my friend's farm to target shoot all the time and no one bothers us". I think the law prohibits this practice,(again, not based on municipal ordinances such as the amount of land, but State law).Does anyone have a statute they can cite for me that answers the question in the affirmative? (Because I think all the statutes answer in the negative)

Yes, if you are a member of a range that has filed a copy of it's charter with the

Superintendent of the NJSP and submits an annual list of members. Notice the law does not specify where "a place of target practice" is.

2C:39-6f.(1) A member of any rifle or pistol club organized in accordance with the rules
prescribed by the National Board for the Promotion of Rifle Practice, in going to or from
a place of target practice
, carrying such firearms as are necessary for said target
practice, provided that the club has filed a copy of its charter with the superintendent
and annually submits a list of its members to the superintendent and provided further
that the firearms are carried in the manner specified in subsection g. of this section;

IMO that is the most important questions...

handguns.. probably by the letter of the law no go..

long guns.. fine assuming you have a FID and there are no local laws preventing the actual shooting..

Absolutely! One may only be possession at, or to and from exempt locations only. (Your buddy's house, property/land, or Farm is doubtfully an exempt location for hand guns) The other (long guns) has more options when in posession of a FPID card or, and or a hunting license.

***disclaimer imnal***

I brought my hand gun to my father's house, locked in a case and in my trunk, never thought I was doing anything wrong. I'm assuming it isn't considered an exempt location? I bring it there to do full cleans since he has the set up.

I brought my hand gun to my father's house, locked in a case and in my trunk, never thought I was doing anything wrong. I'm assuming it isn't considered an exempt location? I bring it there to do full cleans since he has the set up.

*For law abiding citizens in NJ:

To and from your home to your place of business.

To and from your home to a legitimate range for target practice.

To and from your home to a gunsmith for service or repair.

Arguably to and from illegal gun buy backs.

*For non law abiding citizens in NJ:

To and from Drug deals

To and from armed robberys

To and from carjackings

To and from drive bye's

To and from sexual assaults that require a firearm for success.

To and from the street corner.

To and from your home boys crib.

To and from the alley you purchased your illegal firearm.

To and from anywhere else I left out, you feel like going.

:)

Different issue, you have changed the thread question, you father's house might be if you can show that you sometimes reside at that location. A person can have more than one residence.

Now for my Father to go through with his getting an FFL plan...then it's legit, correct?

Yes, but probably won't be issued to him at his home. Good chance they will want a physical location with a store front and proper security measures, from what I understand. Although I could be wrong and it's possible to obtain, if so the bars are going on my garage windows, and my 2 door detached will look just like Les Crafts place, as I get the paperwork started. Having an FFL would make my life so much easier in this state.

Yes, but probably won't be issued to him at his home. Good chance they will want a physical location with a store front and proper security measures, from what I understand. Although I could be wrong and it's possible to obtain, if so the bars are going on my garage windows, and my 2 door detached will look just like Les Crafts place, as I get the paperwork started. Having an FFL would make my life so much easier in this state.

Perfect! That works too! :p

Can you legally transport a firearm to a friend's house to shoot in their backyard for target practice? Let us assume there is plenty of acreage and this is not about local ordinances.Not for hunting or fishing.  Their home is not an authorized range or club. This isn't a trick question, but one I have  been trying to find an answer that is not anecdotal, i.e, "we go to my friend's farm to target shoot all the time and no one bothers us". I think the law prohibits this practice,(again, not based on municipal ordinances such as the amount of land, but State law).Does anyone have a statute they can cite for me that answers the question in the affirmative? (Because I think all the statutes answer in the negative)

First, since this is your very first entry into this Asylum, welcome to the Forum!

Next, in answer to your first question, from a truly written legal standpoint, you bringing hand guns to a friend's place would be a no-no.  Long guns is entirely another matter, as that would be legal so long as there aren't any local ordinances preventing it (discharge).  Please consider that no where in the law books does it say you have the right to breathe AIR.  Most folks don't look for the law allowing them to do so.  They just breathe with impunity.  When asking legal advice on a forum, please keep in mind that all types of folks will give you OPINIONS but NO ONE will bail your ass out of Jail, lol!  There are a handful or so of folks I'd trust.  SJGLAW, vladtepes, DeerSlayer and myself are IMHO worthy of your consideration.  Others may be (some I know are but I haven't mentioned them on this thread), but you'll always have to weed-out the kids and their Mall-Ninja responses, lol.

Years ago, when I wasn't dry behind the ears yet, I did lots of "visiting" with my hand guns for plinkin' in the woods and farms of NJ.  In most cases, everyone still "looks the other way" today, so long as the racket isn't an issue, so be neighborly and respectful and most likely you'll grow-up to be an old Fudd like me, lol!   And maybe you should THINK before unzippin' yer fly on Main Street (asking about it on a public forum where less than respectable folk can get bad ideas about YOU, the sport, and our rights in general)?  Here in NJ there's the LAW, and then there's what's "Normal and Customary".  If you're going to do something that's normal (like taking a hand gun to a friend's (non-FFL) basement workshop for fitting and/or repairs, for instance), do everyone a favor and don't advertise it here.

And now the standard IANAL..........

Dave

The Shootist

Attorney-in-fact

Be careful buddy.  Like Smokin .50 said, there's the Law and there what's Normal and Customary.  There's a lot of cops that would look the other way but then there's a share that would be all over making a gun arrest, any gun arrest, just so they can brag to their buddies.  Unless you want to be a poster boy / test case and are willing to risk the legal penalties I would skip going to dad's till he's got his FFL.  If you do decide to go, please make sure your car is all up to date, both paper and mechanically and obey all laws.  Don't give someone an opportunity to pull you over if you can help it.

Be careful buddy.  Like Smokin .50 said, there's the Law and there what's Normal and Customary.  There's a lot of cops that would look the other way but then there's a share that would be all over making a gun arrest, any gun arrest, just so they can brag to their buddies.  Unless you want to be a poster boy / test case and are willing to risk the legal penalties I would skip going to dad's till he's got his FFL.  If you do decide to go, please make sure your car is all up to date, both paper and mechanically and obey all laws.  Don't give someone an opportunity to pull you over if you can help it.

Definitely not gonna chance that. I would never just bring it to a buddies house but never really put two and two together that the house I grew up in is basically the same thing in the eye of the law. Thanks all!

First, since this is your very first entry into this Asylum, welcome to the Forum!

Next, in answer to your first question, from a truly written legal standpoint, you bringing hand guns to a friend's place would be a no-no.  Long guns is entirely another matter, as that would be legal so long as there aren't any local ordinances preventing it (discharge).  Please consider that no where in the law books does it say you have the right to breathe AIR.  Most folks don't look for the law allowing them to do so.  They just breathe with impunity.  When asking legal advice on a forum, please keep in mind that all types of folks will give you OPINIONS but NO ONE will bail your ass out of Jail, lol!  There are a handful or so of folks I'd trust.  SJGLAW, vladtepes, DeerSlayer and myself are IMHO worthy of your consideration.  Others may be (some I know are but I haven't mentioned them on this thread), but you'll always have to weed-out the kids and their Mall-Ninja responses, lol.

Years ago, when I wasn't dry behind the ears yet, I did lots of "visiting" with my hand guns for plinkin' in the woods and farms of NJ.  In most cases, everyone still "looks the other way" today, so long as the racket isn't an issue, so be neighborly and respectful and most likely you'll grow-up to be an old Fudd like me, lol!   And maybe you should THINK before unzippin' yer fly on Main Street (asking about it on a public forum where less than respectable folk can get bad ideas about YOU, the sport, and our rights in general)?  Here in NJ there's the LAW, and then there's what's "Normal and Customary".  If you're going to do something that's normal (like taking a hand gun to a friend's (non-FFL) basement workshop for fitting and/or repairs, for instance), do everyone a favor and don't advertise it here.

And now the standard IANAL..........

Dave

The Shootist

Attorney-in-fac

Well said! I also agree with your list of those to listen to, SJGLAW, vladtepes, DeerSlayer and a couple others know their stuff and most often post the law itself to support their stance. You guys are much appreciated

by me and I am sure other less knowledgeable members here!  I thank you gentlemen for your guidance and support!

Doesn't matter IF you are a member of a range that meets the standard under 2C:39-6f.(1)

IF NOT, then handguns are a no go.

I concur, but this is the absolute "sketchiest", misquoted, ambiguous law on the books.  A "place of target practice" could be a friend's basement using a BB gun that needed a NJ hand gun permit--OR--it could be interpreted as a CLUB RANGE on either club owned or leased property.  Could also be "stretched" into a couple of acres of woods alongside a deer camp that the hunting club owns, as well as a range you built on your own property.  As in any "interpretation", it goes without saying that you can be "in the right" and still be processed into the County Jail waiting to talk to your Lawyer...

IMHO "a place of target practice" is intended to be construed as a CLUB RANGE, since only an actual CLUB would cause a membership roster to be mailed to the NJSP.  Additionally, the exemption for illegal transfer (which IS available at a Club Range, for up to eight hours, so long as the guns' owner is present on Club property) doesn't carry-over to Joe's backyard (as currently written), even though Joe and his friend Pete are both members of the same (or different) NJ Gun Clubs that submit said roster.  So yes I'm splitting hairs, but I just wanted to prevent someone from playing "Show and Tell" swapping hand guns to try-out at Joe's backyard, posting videos to Facebook or You Tube and then being hung-out to dry.  Your interpretation and/or mileage may vary....but like I said, this "place of target practice" is a little "iffy"....