Sign in to follow this  
7-3-2

5 months after I applied, I get a call.

So here is my situation, I got in some trouble as a kid and had to go to a school for kids who were trouble makers. In that school it was a pretty mandatory that the children saw counselors etc. I knew this was going to be an issue when I first applied years ago but I eventually got my FPID and a few permits between now and then (over a 10 year period). Anyways, I applied for a new permit and FPID card over 5 months ago (I thought I lost my FPID but it ends up that my youngest daughter actually hid my wallet on me lol). Today I get a call asking about my counseling history from when I was a Juvenile and the Lt. told me that the laws have changed and that if they dont find what they need in my folder that I may need to see somebody that can evaluate me and write a letter saying that I am not a threat to myself or others. (what the hell??) Yeah, I have no doubts that I can talk with somebody and that they will be able to see that my character is not in question but I kind of feel like this is a little screwy and outside of the normal scope of things. More or less what I am asking is should I be concerned or reluctant to agree to this? Has anyone else been through this sort of situation?

So here is my situation, I got in some trouble as a kid and had to go to a school for kids who were trouble makers. In that school it was a pretty mandatory that the children saw counselors etc. I knew this was going to be an issue when I first applied years ago but I eventually got my FPID and a few permits between now and then (over a 10 year period). Anyways, I applied for a new permit and FPID card over 5 months ago (I thought I lost my FPID but it ends up that my youngest daughter actually hid my wallet on me lol). Today I get a call asking about my counseling history from when I was a Juvenile and the Lt. told me that the laws have changed and that if they dont find what they need in my folder that I may need to see somebody that can evaluate me and write a letter saying that I am not a threat to myself or others. (what the hell??) Yeah, I have no doubts that I can talk with somebody and that they will be able to see that my character is not in question but I kind of feel like this is a little screwy and outside of the normal scope of things. More or less what I am asking is should I be concerned or reluctant to agree to this? Has anyone else been through this sort of situation?

I say we sue your township for issuing a FPID to a potential crazy person 10 years ago. :lol:

just kidding of course, Sounds like a crock to me, did you call Nappen yet? He would be the guy to ask. Actually he is giving a seminar at GFH very soon. Maybe it would be worth attending to ask him that question. I'm sure he will give you a straight up answer as to what you need to do. Without having to pay to be on the "lawyer clock" I think there are a few seats left still. There's also some other great information to be had at the same time. Like killing two birds with one stone, you'll get your money's worth for sure. Just a thought.

Nappen's class is in February.

Do not wait that long. Any denial has a ticking clock attached to it. Call a lawyer now.

Yeah Id rather not have to go the lawyer route I dont have a ton of money to throw in that direction. I fear thats what itll end up coming down to unfortunately.

Yeah Id rather not have to go the lawyer route I dont have a ton of money to throw in that direction. I fear thats what itll end up coming down to unfortunately.

Your call.  The advice you have received so far is worth exactly what you have paid for it.