OfcrFek

Anyone have any experience with the Troy Claymore?

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/492814/

I currently have a small lightweight AR that I use for CQB trainings and some multi-person high speed classes that I've slowly built and changed out parts on. Right now, I have a YHM 5m1 aggressive brake on it. In my last class, a buddy was catching some wicked side blasts from it. I really want a linear comp to minimize causing my partners to leave the class w/ mild sunburn, but didnt want to give up the aggressive "improvised breaching tip." Then I found this and it seems like the best of both worlds. Anyone have any experience with this that they can share?

They are very hard to drill to pin.

Other than that they are like any other linear comp. They push blast out front, don't do much for recoil dampening, minimally affects muzzle rise. The only advantage is no side blast for your partners.

+1

I ran one for a couple of years, took some classes with it, I liked it. I also ran a Medieval on a different AR and yes, Troy muzzle devices are really hard to drill through but the right gunsmith can do it, not impossible. I put it on after I ran that AR without a MD for a while and could definitely feel the recoil a little more since all the blast was being pushed forward. To me, muzzle rise was unaffected, meaning it didn't help keep the muzzle down at all. As HE said, the only thing you could definitely notice was that the people next to me at he range weren't getting hit with any blast at all. Between the two, I preferred shooting with the Medieval.

Also, please don't let the Troy haters out there deter you from their products. It really sucks what they did, but they make good, quality products.

I usually drill, pin, and weld my own brakes on. Aren't the prettiest once they're done, but they're up to snuff legality wise, and that's all I really care about. What makes them hard to drill? Are they hardened steel like the AK brakes or something? 

This is the current set up of the rifle....

p6Z4XKkl.jpg

(Note: That's a NJ legal pinned 15/30 mag)

What I may do is get another 14.7 inch barrel, get a 15 inch slim, streamlined free float handguard (since everything is on the top rail anyway at this point), and the Claymore... That way the handguard would hang over the end of the comp by a lil' bit...  That way it has this kinda look about it, just longer XD

http://www.airsoftnews.fr/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/deepfire-trx-extreme.jpg

The Troy brakes are made of a military grade harden steel... very very very hard to drill. You will have to chunk out a little cash to get a solid carbide drill bit and alot of cutting oil. Ive tryed cobalt,titanium and everything that the depot aor lowes offers but you will just burn them out... you can try ebay or amazon I checked with Fastnel they have them but depending on what size they will have to order them from the main store in Texas... I was lucky and got some from my local mom and pop hardware store..... and he keeps them in stock... iam using a 7/64th bit and that seems to work really well... just be careful once you break through the hardend outer skin the bit goes in like butter....Oh and a drill press really helps... good luck brother.....

I may just weld that b*tch straight to the barrel. lol.

I AM having second thoughts tho because of some of these videos of the flash on youtube... I understand this is a SBR, but still.... 

Lalo, did you ever use it in low light? If so, was the fireball overbaring? Did it cause momentary optic washout? Did it mess with your focus on the target? Did you even notice it in the moment?

Lalo, did you ever use it in low light? If so, was the fireball overbaring? Did it cause momentary optic washout? Did it mess with your focus on the target? Did you even notice it in the moment?

Never used it at a low light class. Closest thing to low light I used it on was an indoors range and while the flash was more noticeable by other people, it never bothered me at all. I ran it with an Eotech and don't remember ever having an issue losing focus or anything.

I may just weld that b*tch straight to the barrel. lol.

I AM having second thoughts tho because of some of these videos of the flash on youtube... I understand this is a SBR, but still.... 

The upside is... no one will mistake that for a flash hider!