LoneSniper

Great American Outdoor Show 7-15 Feb 2015

Friend and I are planning on going to this driving out early on Tue 10th Feb, staying over night and coming back Wed. From number of exhibitors and events it seems like too much to see in just one day and after a 2+hr drive. Wondered how many others planning on attending? I read last years thread about it and few reviews were mixed. I am really hoping it's worth the effort and expense.
http://www.greatamericanoutdoorshow.org/

Will be going again this year.  Last year was better than the previous promoter.  Going on a weekday, as the weekends are just to crowded.  Thought about attending the Saturday the 14th concert but still up in the air about that as I would not want to drive home late.  If you plan to spend a lot of time looking at outfitters and archery as well as firearms, then I would plan for two days, otherwise one.  There is a lot of stuff on display that really did not interest us, so we glanced over it and kept moving spending time checking out the firearms and accessories.

Will be going again this year.  Last year was better than the previous promoter. 

Glad to hear a positive review and that it will take more than a day to look at. My buddy and I are interested in more than shooting so will enjoy seeing everything. I am sure we'll come away with huge wish lists of things we want to get.  Is it just a show or can you buy items there too?

its 2.5hrs & 166 miles from me in north NJ.  I was thinkin about going either the 11th or 12th to meet Jesse James.  Only interested in firearms, dont care for the rest of the stuff. Is this show that big that u need two days?  

its 2.5hrs & 166 miles from me in north NJ.  I was thinkin about going either the 11th or 12th to meet Jesse James.  Only interested in firearms, dont care for the rest of the stuff. Is this show that big that u need two days?  

From what I've read online and other peoples posts it's best given two days. This is the first time I've gone (going 10-11th) and we are going for two, well about 1.5 days. I'd rather have the extra time and see everything, maybe twice than feel I went all that way and missed out on exciting stuff. It's a long way from exit 151 too so another reason to do two days.

Went there with my son and wife yesterday, ~2.5 hrs drive from me in NNJ - just some random thoughts / comments below.

I've been there in 2014 and this time there is MUCH more people attending there.

Just to compare - in 2014 we went either on Sat or Sun, don't remember correctly and we were able to pretty much park the car in a main parking lot right in front of one of the entrances to the Farm Complex.

This year it was crowded even on Thursday! Main parking lot was closed, so had to park in an adjacent lot with shuttle connection to the complex. Lots of vehicles with non-PA plates (MD/NY in the top, but NJ and VA were also very much presented in a parking lot with some random plates from OH, CT, IL and others - just what I spotted)

I would give it 4.5 out of 5 for the show, it was definitely a very pleasant experience - we spent almost all day there from ~11am until maybe 6pm or so when we were leaving already exhausted.

IMO firearms hall was pretty much the same as the last year. I again handled Tavor with thoughts of what I should rob to find another $2000 to buy it, LOL.

I was quite disappointed with the fact that some gun manufacturers decided not to participate. There was no Glock booth (I really wanted to handle their new ones with integrated red dot rail or whatever they came up with to make it easier to mount a scope, but no luck this year). No HK booth either.

There were SIG, S&W, Taurus, CZ, Beretta, Magpul, Kahr (very knowledgeable rep there, was very happy that Kahr moved out (or planned to move out, not sure) from NY), Savage, Remington, Mossberg booths for sure, many others as well. CZ booth IMO was the biggest disappointment for me - first of all, they didn't have ANY new competition guns they announced recently (Czechmate & others), but they had at least several new Scorpio pistols around. Secondly, two or three guys at the CZ stand could have probably won an award for being "The most unengaged company reps in the whole event". Seriously, when we approached the stand, it was empty and they kept chatting loundly on some personal topics paying literally no attention to us for all the time we've been there. Fine, I don't mind, but it somehow left an awful impression as I was really looking forward to coming to CZ stand... There was also some blonde "celebrity" girl there offering an autograph section and pics with her, but as long as I had no clue at all who she was, I skipped this part :-)

I liked Geissele stand very much - they had mechanical dissected examples of pretty much all trigger assemblies they have to offer and a very knowledgeable rep who was willing to explain how each one was different from the others.

Lots of exhibitors were outright greedy, LOL. Cabela's reps were luring everyone to sign up for their credit card WITHOUT letting people know upfront what they were signing up for - just saying something like "just fill out this form and get a free baseball hat... -what am I signing up for? -Ehh.. it's our card. -Is it a CREDIT card? -Mmm.. yes... -NO, thanks". I personally very much dislike tricks like that so no kudos to Cabela's this time, very disappointed with such a tactic.

Big LOL was from companies trying to sell something AND asking to pay to give their product a try. I'm not sure I remembered companies correctly, but there were several companies offering their laser training systems (cartridges, software to track hits etc.) and most of those companies were readily offering to try their stuff right there, except for one or two, that were SELLING tickets (like $3 for 1 minute or so) to try their laser training kits. I just don't get the point of paying a lot for a booth and then instead of showing their product off charging people for trying it...

One thing to mention is that there is a lot to offer to kids. There is a separate section sponsored by NRA where kids (and not only kids) could have tried airsoft replicas of AR, shotguns and various handguns shooting at small steel targets and even engaging in a "3gun like experience" with airsoft guns (with a timer!). BTW, they didn't charge a penny for this unlike some other companies I mentioned above.

Huuuge hunting- and fishing-related expo. Lots of taxidermists, travel agencies with destinations ranging from Maine and Virginia, to Alaska, Argentina and South Africa. Big aquarium with live demo of different baits sponsored by Bass Pro. Hunting calls, bbq stations, all kinds of meat processing equipments (even with butchery classes!).

Great section on various vehicles, ATVs & RVs. I definitely want to get RV one day, LOL, maybe 30 years later.

There was a section with boats as well, but we were too tired already to check it out in details. Separate big section on archery - very active on selling / buying stuff, but as I don't do any archery, I can't comment on if prices were adequate.

Bottom line - we liked it a lot, my son had a very good time and this was completely worth a day off I had to take.

And as a final thought - we had a very good dinner at Appalachian Brewing Co @ 50 N. Cameron St. Harrisburg, PA, http://abcbrew.com/ after the show - I am very fond of GOOD burgers and they pleasantly surprised me for sure - it's probably <10 mins drive from the show complex. I've chosen it only based on Google rating of the place (3.8/5 based on almost 100 reviews) and it didn't disappoint me.

Edited: and to comment on time required - just simple math. I think they announced that they have ~1100 companies presenting something. If you are even set to spending mere 10 seconds on every booth (barely enough to acknowledge what it is, read the sign and pass by), you'll need more than 3 hours just to do so! :-) If you increase the time to 20 seconds per each booth, you'll need 6 hours to go through all of them! So you clearly need to set priorities before going there...

Great review, mikka1. Went Wednesday, saw a few old friends, some were vendors. Overall, I felt it was a little less appealing than last year. Lot's of booths hawking same stuff. Some vendor's booths were smaller, with less product, some I noticed did not return this year. More top manufacturers need to be there to support it, otherwise it will become just another low tier trade show and outdoor related flea market. I have decided to attend every other year instead.

I was out there Tuesday with my fried. We'd planned to be there two days but saw everything on one very long day as we got there at 10.20am and left as it closed at 7pm. Am glad we stayed over at the local Best Western and enjoyed a few (too many) beers rather than driving back at night. Bonus for the trip was being able to stop and shop at Cabela's in Hamburg on the way back. I have a Cabela's credit card which is the best in my opinion as nothing like getting Cabela's stuff for free with my points.  This was my first time there and think I will do every other year with time permitting. The highlight for me was being able to see and hold the new Mossberg MVP line of rifles and also look at the truck campers which is now something I must get.  It was wonderful being out of NNJ and in free America for a while :)