Norseman

Questions on parts for milspec AR

I'm a newb to the AR. Just got my first earlier this month. I went with the Stag Arms Model 3L cause I'm a lefty. Now some of the reviews I've read and watched say "make sure you use milspec parts if you do any modifications."

I want to add an ambi charging handle and an ambi mag release.

I'm looking at the BCM GUNFIGHTER CHARG HNDL 556 AMBI and the Norgon ambi-catch.

I don't see "milspec" in their description so does that mean I can't use them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes you can use them, as far as I'm concerned the whole "milspec" thing is basically meaningless at this point.  It is doubly meaningless for you as there are no milspec lefty parts like the mirrored receiver, bolt, etc.

Now what I DON'T understand is why are you adding ambi controls to a lefty gun if you are lefty? Is there something wrong with the way it works for you?

The only thing really "Lefty" is the ejection port and forward assist. All the controls are like a righty gun. I don't mind the safety release, and since I've always shot righty ARs I am used to the mag release and charging handle being righty but I want to be able to charge and release the mag with my support hand and not have to move my trigger hand.

The only thing that would make sense is the buffer tube. There are two types that have different dimensions, milspec and commercial. You want to match the stock version to the tube type you have.

The only thing that would make sense is the buffer tube. There are two types that have different dimensions, milspec and commercial. You want to match the stock version to the tube type you have.

Probably that is what I had in the back of my head that made me question this. Thanks.

Cool. Yea, besides that, the term "milspec" is unfortunately loosely thrown around as a marketing term.

Some people want what the military gets, so the best chances are to buy parts from companies that currently are contracted to produce M4 rifles for the govt. They possess the government TDP (technical data package) explaining the specifics and requirements on how the parts are made for them to take delivery. Everything from the dimensions to the heat treating process of the different parts. FN and Colt are two examples.

Civilian companies not affiliated with making M4/M16 platform parts for the govt either get the TDP by covert means and incorporate those specs into their products (yet they can't prove it), take a good guess at it, or feel they created something superior to what is in the TDP and market it as such.

The bottom line is if you go with top tier well respected manufacturers with good reputations, you'll be fine with any parts that you choose regardless if they say milspec or not.

Cool. Yea, besides that, the term "milspec" is unfortunately loosely thrown around as a marketing term.

Some people want what the military gets, so the best chances are to buy parts from companies that currently are contracted to produce M4 rifles for the govt. They possess the government TDP (technical data package) explaining the specifics and requirements on how the parts are made for them to take delivery. Everything from the dimensions to the heat treating process of the different parts. FN and Colt are two examples.

Civilian companies not affiliated with making M4/M16 platform parts for the govt either get the TDP by covert means and incorporate those specs into their products (yet they can't prove it), take a good guess at it, or feel they created something superior to what is in the TDP and market it as such.

The bottom line is if you go with top tier well respected manufacturers with good reputations, you'll be fine with any parts that you choose regardless if they say milspec or not.

And FN isn't allowed to cell civilian guns that use any info learned by the TDP. So you are really stuck with Colt

I just won one of these on FB , its awesome! such a improvement over the factory

Have you ever used the BCM ...it's a toss up for me which one I want now. That Raptor looks BA though.

And FN isn't allowed to cell civilian guns that use any info learned by the TDP. So you are really stuck with Colt

Good point, looks like FN produces M4/M16 govt parts using Colt's TDP, so there are licensing rules involved there. I'll still take FN's parts to be as good or better then Colt's TDP'd parts. Like their CHF barrels made with metallurgy and processes similar to the M249 barrels that they produce (and of which they own the secrets to). Probably better then the M16/M4 TDP stuff!

Have you ever used the BCM ...it's a toss up for me which one I want now. That Raptor looks BA though.

no I haven't, BCM is half the price and folks like them. I personally liked the look of Umbrella Corps Raptor and was gonna order one, but I won this in mean time, so it's money saved

If I never hear about the TDP red hearing it will still be too soon.

The problem with the TDP is that nobody publicly knows what's on it. For example. You can look at the bcg. Everyone knows what type of steel, it's MPI and HPT etc. but what about the heat treating. Finish. Manufacturing process. Etc. So you end up with $100 "milspec" bolt carrier groups and $170 BCM or Colt BCGs. What's the difference? I choose not to guess and just go with the known quality brand.

The problem with the TDP is that nobody publicly knows what's on it. For example. You can look at the bcg. Everyone knows what type of steel, it's MPI and HPT etc. but what about the heat treating. Finish. Manufacturing process. Etc. So you end up with $100 "milspec" bolt carrier groups and $170 BCM or Colt BCGs. What's the difference? I choose not to guess and just go with the known quality brand.

That's exactly my point. You have no idea what you are paying for,  no idea if the official Colt type are better then the say .. Primary Arms ones, or if BCM is using the same secret sauce.  In any other business that would be called bullshit advertising. If I went and said you should only buy White Bread from Sunbeam because they use a secret formula that no one else has or if I said you should only ever buy Bilstein Shocks because they have a magical TDP you would look at me as I was crazy. But somehow, Colt managed to convince people that if you don't use their secret sauce your gun will explode, and you will die a horrible death on a Afghan mountain side.

Just to be clear, I was by no means advocating that you have to buy from a TDP possessing company in order to get the best parts. I even went on to say that parts from reputable and respectable companies are all you have to worry about, and may even be better then whatever this unknown TDP stuff is. Didn't mean to open a can of worms.

It was just a rationalization of what it could mean when someone says they want "milspec". The bottom line, unless you are a govt buyer... you will never know.