Opinion wanted

I have had both rifles. I used to shoot the GSG in the rimfire mathes at OB (OBRAMS). I got sick an tired of watching everyone shoot stages without any jams or misfires and any other problems and then it was my turn and I had all those problems.

I was shooting the GSG and they were shooting the 15-22. I liked the GSG so I did some of the mods that say they would help with the problems, they did a little and the rifle got a little more dependable. I handled the 15-22 and it felt like a toy so much plastic. I didn't like it but, I could argue with what I had been seeing every month so I broke down and bought the 15-22 and never went back to the GSG. I held off selling it until I didn't shoot it for a few months then it went.

The 15-22 is easier to clean and just a far more dependable that the GSG that I had.  I see this as an easy decision the S&W without a doubt. The 15-22 can also use a lot of the same parts that a mil-spec AR can use also. SO do if right the first time and get the 15-22.

There is another rifle that I liked, but wasn't out at the time I was looking. The Anschutz  MSR-22 it's a scar clone and just from the name one would think it's a great rifle, but I have no experience with that one.

15-22 is the bomb.....you want a 10/22 with tech sights and two mags give me a shout.....it NEVER gets used since I purchased the 15-22.

No malfunctions with around 2k rounds so far, federal and cci blazer....I believe the 15-22 was the inspiration for Marisa Tomei's famous line "dead on balls accurate".

I have both and I frankly don't like either that much.

Both throw occasional malfunctions with any type of ammo I've tried with them. The last time we went to EFGA my son had malfunctions with 15-22 roughly on every 4th-5th trigger squeeze (!) with CCI Minimags. Maybe it was too cold, maybe something else, but believe it or not that's what I've seen myself.

But at the same time I am not too bothered with this - I consider those excellent training toys nonetheless. I still hope that maybe they will start shooting better after they break in, but the fact that we've already shot ~1000 rds in total through them (with several cleanings in the middle) slowly destroys my hope... At least I satisfied my 22 bug (by buying those 2 rifles and thousands of rounds), so now I can focus on bigger bore calibers, LOL.

The 15-22 is an absolutely amazing rimfire rifle.  It is as accurate as a target/match rifle, as reliable as a bolt-action rifle (but semi-automatic), and as fun as a firearm can be.  My 15-22 probably has like $1700 into it with upgrades and optic, more than a lot of peoples 5.56 ARs.  It is the first firearm that I saw my father (a 34 year retired police commander) smile when shooting, he approaches shooting like a pro football player approaches windsprints and pushups ... necessary for training but a bore and just part of the job... well 5 minutes after I introduced him to the 15-22 he was asking for more stuff to shoot at and seeing if he could hit stuff across the range etc.

Now truth be told, I fancy myself a bit of a 12ga combat shotgun and .22LR firearm collector... and I have always loved the HK MP5 so , I have silently always wanted a GSG5 , but I bought the 15-22 in early 2010 because it was regarded as the finest of the rimfire AR/tactical rifles, and I figured I didn't need both,  I still would like a GSG5 but, if you are looking to buy one, the 15-22 is the way to go.

And just to talk about Smith and Wesson's customer service, I had a blowup on the day after Thanksgiving.  Me and some family shot about 500 rounds of mixed .22LR through it, and I decided to end the day shooting a magazine full of CCI Stingers.  The third round kaboomed my gun, resulting in several broken and missing springs, and the extractor.  Apparently the overall length of Stingers is longer than standard .22LR rounds ... and while S&W explicitly states not to use Stingers in the Performance Center model, the original owners manuals actually listed the Stinger as an ammo of choice TO USE.  Well the dirty gun, with all the fouling, combined with the Stinger's overall length increase, apparently resulted in an out-of-battery detonation which damaged my gun.  S&W took it back no questions asked, paying for the 2-Day-Overnite shipping both ways ,  and sent it back with a free (10-round, even though I am living in FL now, and which I promptly broke trying to de-10-round it) magazine for my trouble.  They have outstanding customer service and that is a huge factor people can overlook buying a gun.  Not to knock GSG, but they're not Smith and Wesson.

I had problems with the GSG when it was new. I did some simple mods that resolved the issues. That includes using HK pins in lieu and applying loctite to a few screws. In the beginning I had jams, but those just seemed to resolve with use and a good cleaning. The 15-22 is ok, but not great either. I think the way to go is to just purchase a dedicated .22 upper if you already have an AR. That solves the plastic cheapo issue.

I don't have an AR, LOL. Just M1s and 03s and US Marked  12 Gauges LOL. Have some Bolt 22s, But need a black gun in the safe!  Looks like 15-22. Anybody have one for sale?

M&P 15-22 or GSG 22? Just want something that will eat any 22.

Here's a deal I found, made me think of your thread. Don't think you're going to find a better deal. I'm almost considering ordering one myself for $159.99

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/catalog/product/view/id/10968/

They have a flat top as well for $20 more.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/catalog/product/view/id/10237/category/4459/

I've only handled a few M&P 15-22s, maybe a couple rounds through someone's at a range, but no experience with them really. 

I love my GSG 522SD - when it works.  The problem with the gun is that is hardly ever works - at least does not work reliably for long.  It will fire fine for a couple of mags, but gets dirty fast, which seems to cause problems.  It seems to always have light strikes, which then get worse as the gun becomes dirty, and then you get failure to fires, sometimes more than half the rounds of the magazine will fail to fire.  The grin I get on my face from emptying a full mag in rapid fire is mostly from the shooting, but also from surprise/amazement that the gun cooperated for a whole magazine without a problem.

Once you're done - more often as in "I'm so done with this f&*$ing gun" than a "I had a great time at the range, I guess I should go home now" - you then have to clean the damn thing.  A stock gun requires you to remove the stock, meaning unscrew the pin holding that on.  Then more pins get unscrewed, another big screw at the rear of the breach block, and then you can take the gun apart so you can take it apart more.  The breach block realistically has to be taken apart every use, or at least every other use - something the manual claims you never have to take apart.  You need at least 5 or 6 different tools to take the gun wholly apart.  Even then, it still isn't really enough because you can't get into a bunch of areas in the clamshell/outer/upper, that should be cleaned, because of the design of the gun.  I am debating just using an ultrasonic cleaner on the breach block every time and hoping that works better than disassembly every time.

Mods I have done:

Parts kit to turn it more into the older MP5 style instead of the abomination that currently ships after the HK lawsuit

Replaced screw apart pins with HK type push pins ( brings me down to only 3 or 4 tools needed to disassemble the gun)

Mousepad buffer at front of cocking tube (HK slap is fun!)

Shortened firing pin return spring (apparently still not enough since I'm still getting light strikes, some people replace the spring with a much weaker one)

"Sharpened" the firing pin for smaller contact area

Lapped contact points on the firing pin (was pretty rough)

I have a replacement firing pin and return spring I got free from ATI after emailing them about my problems, which I have yet to install, but I have little faith in those fixing my problems... 

I want to love this gun.  I really do.  When it works, it puts a grin on my face like nothing else.  When it stops working properly, it is infuriating.  Even IF I ever get it cycling reliably, cleaning it will ALWAYS be a pain.  I don't think it will ever have a tenth of the available mods of say the 15-22 or 10/22.  I am not sure if there are other MP5 clones out there [in .22], but it'd be difficult to recommend the GSGs over any of them.  Or over none of them, for that matter.  It really is a shame.  Guess I need an MP5 in 9mm, but looks like I need a clone of THOSE, too...

Here's a deal I found, made me think of your thread. Don't think you're going to find a better deal. I'm almost considering ordering one myself for $159.99

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/catalog/product/view/id/10968/

They have a flat top as well for $20 more.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/catalog/product/view/id/10237/category/4459/

forget the mossberg, my brother has one and hates it compared to my 15-22

I've only handled a few M&P 15-22s, maybe a couple rounds through someone's at a range, but no experience with them really. 

I love my GSG 522SD - when it works.  The problem with the gun is that is hardly ever works - at least does not work reliably for long.  It will fire fine for a couple of mags, but gets dirty fast, which seems to cause problems.  It seems to always have light strikes, which then get worse as the gun becomes dirty, and then you get failure to fires, sometimes more than half the rounds of the magazine will fail to fire.  The grin I get on my face from emptying a full mag in rapid fire is mostly from the shooting, but also from surprise/amazement that the gun cooperated for a whole magazine without a problem.

Once you're done - more often as in "I'm so done with this f&*$ing gun" than a "I had a great time at the range, I guess I should go home now" - you then have to clean the damn thing.  A stock gun requires you to remove the stock, meaning unscrew the pin holding that on.  Then more pins get unscrewed, another big screw at the rear of the breach block, and then you can take the gun apart so you can take it apart more.  The breach block realistically has to be taken apart every use, or at least every other use - something the manual claims you never have to take apart.  You need at least 5 or 6 different tools to take the gun wholly apart.  Even then, it still isn't really enough because you can't get into a bunch of areas in the clamshell/outer/upper, that should be cleaned, because of the design of the gun.  I am debating just using an ultrasonic cleaner on the breach block every time and hoping that works better than disassembly every time.

Mods I have done:

Parts kit to turn it more into the older MP5 style instead of the abomination that currently ships after the HK lawsuit

Replaced screw apart pins with HK type push pins ( brings me down to only 3 or 4 tools needed to disassemble the gun)

Mousepad buffer at front of cocking tube (HK slap is fun!)

Shortened firing pin return spring (apparently still not enough since I'm still getting light strikes, some people replace the spring with a much weaker one)

"Sharpened" the firing pin for smaller contact area

Lapped contact points on the firing pin (was pretty rough)

I have a replacement firing pin and return spring I got free from ATI after emailing them about my problems, which I have yet to install, but I have little faith in those fixing my problems... 

I want to love this gun.  I really do.  When it works, it puts a grin on my face like nothing else.  When it stops working properly, it is infuriating.  Even IF I ever get it cycling reliably, cleaning it will ALWAYS be a pain.  I don't think it will ever have a tenth of the available mods of say the 15-22 or 10/22.  I am not sure if there are other MP5 clones out there [in .22], but it'd be difficult to recommend the GSGs over any of them.  Or over none of them, for that matter.  It really is a shame.  Guess I need an MP5 in 9mm, but looks like I need a clone of THOSE, too...

same exact experience with 522.......i should have just bought a dedicated .22lr upper

it works after the mods and stuff and its still fun. but i find myself leaving it home more foten than not