SJG

NRA Self Defense and Firearms Coverage

If you own a home get an umbrella policy. It will cover you for the amount of the policy, regardless of what happens. I asked my agent what if I ran over someone accidentally? "You're covered." What if I shot someone accidentally? "You're covered." What if I shoot them intentionally? "You're covered." Don't mess with these cheapskate policies. You get what you pay for.

If you own a home get an umbrella policy. It will cover you for the amount of the policy, regardless of what happens. I asked my agent what if I ran over someone accidentally? "You're covered." What if I shot someone accidentally? "You're covered." What if I shoot them intentionally? "You're covered." Don't mess with these cheapskate policies. You get what you pay for.

If you take it that seriously, I hope you read it and didn't just take your agent's word for it.

If you take it that seriously, I hope you read it and didn't just take your agent's word for it.

Good point. I did read it several times. Looks like I'm ok but you're right, who knows. And who knows about an NRA-sponsored policy? They're a business ya know.

Speaking of liability I need to sight in a .22 air rifle. Want to stand against one of my basement walls holding a small target while I do the dirty deed? Should only take me 3-4 hours. For some reason my son refuses. 

SJ to answer your original question I carry the NRA CC (leosa)insurance as well as membership in citizens defense. I have an umbrella policy as well but it does not cover defensive shootings outside of the home. I never did find any insurance providers that covered that area and had to go for a specific policy. One thing about the NRA policy is that any funds associated with your defense comes after successful defense that is why I have the dual coverage that covers areas not picked up by the NRA policy. Fortunately it appears that more providers are entering this area. IMOP anyone that carries (even infrequently) should have some type of coverage unless you have 50k available in the event you have to defend yourself both criminally and civilly. I look at it just like renewals,qualifications etc it is part of the yearly expenditure. PS before the professor takes issue regarding the lack of nj issuing CCL I believe every law abiding citizen should be allowed to carry........regards and be safe,

I also am interested in obtaining insurance for my firearms, in case of accidental damage due to carelessness or fire, ultimate destruction or theft. Also, am interested in reasonably priced firearm specific liability insurance, which I will discuss in a separate post.

Most homeowner's insurance policies do not automatically cover firearms and one has to specifically add a rider to cover them. Even with these riders, most homeowner’s policies have very low firearm coverage amounts. Also, some companies frown upon gun ownership and will raise your premiums if you add the firearm rider, in addition to that stand-alone cost.

I think that the NRA insurance policy may be one of the best deals available. The additional riders for homeowner's policies are considerably more expensive than the same coverage from NRA.  If I continue to purchase additional firearms every year, I will have to adjust coverage accordingly, making the case for having insurance coverage even more important.

As I understand the NRA gun insurance, it is essentially a secondary insurance, where your homeowner’s insurance policy would pay first to its limit, if you have firearms coverage, before the NRA insurance would pay. Therefore, there would be no double-payment, one from each insurer
From what I have determined so far, the NRA provides at no cost to its current active members up to $2,500 of insurance through ArmsCare Firearms Insurance, but a member must activate this benefit.
A member may elect to purchase additional coverage for an additional annual fee, which seems reasonable to me. ArmsCare Plus Firearms Insurance provides NRA members with protection for their firearms and accessories up to $1,000,000 in coverage. Rates start at just $65 annually for $6,500 in coverage. The ArmsCare Plus Firearms Insurance works in tandem with the $2,500 No Cost ArmsCare Firearms Insurance provided with one’s NRA membership. Purchasing this additional insurance your benefit will be automatically upgraded to full replacement cost. Firearms valued at $2,500 or more must be scheduled, however, serial numbers are not required to be submitted.

Both of these NRA endorsed insurance plans covers insured firearms, air guns, bows and arrows against theft, accidental loss, and damage. Guns and gun accessories including scopes, rings, mounts, slings and sling swivels, which are attached to the insured firearm and are protected from the following:
• Damage
• Direct physical loss
• Fire
• Theft (Theft from a vehicle is covered when it is the result of breaking and entering a locked vehicle or locked portion of the vehicle.)

Here are links for more information

http://www.locktonaffinity.com/nrains/ArmsCare.htm

http://www.locktonaffinity.com/nrains/armscareplus.htm

Do any of you have this insurance?
If so, have any of you ever needed to use it and, if so, what was your experience?

AVB-AMG

Regarding additional liability protection for when you're hunting or shooting, here is the advertised information from NRA web site:

http://www.locktonaffinity.com/nrains/excess.htm

Personal Firearms Liability Insurance for NRA members

Most homeowner's policies fall far short of adequate protection for liability claims. We recognized this gap in coverage and created a custom plan to protect National Rifle Association members.  NRA-endorsed Personal Firearms Liability Insurance protects you against liability suits up to $1,000,000 for any injuries you unintentionally cause while hunting or trapping on public or private land. This coverage also covers you while shooting in competitions or at private shooting ranges.

The NRA-endorsed Personal Firearms Liability Insurance provides:

• Coverage for bodily injury or property damage caused by the use of a firearm, air gun, bow & arrow, or trapping equipment when you are legally obligated for damages
  • Most defense costs in addition to the liability limit—even if the lawsuit is false
  • Liability limit options from $100,000 up to $1,000,000

Annual Liability Limit Options:

• $47 annually:  $100,000 combined single limit
  • $67 annually:  $250,000 combined single limit
  • $100 annually:  $500,000 combined single limit
  • $200 annually:  $1,000,000 combined single limit

Do any of you have this insurance?
If so, have any of you ever needed to use it and, if so, what was your experience?

AVB-AMG