Shawnmoore81

Welding a muzzle brake

We have vendors who give the site a good amount of money to keep it up and running - they're actual forum vendors who are FFLs...  Non-vendor FFL's suddenly jumping in and advertising their wares on the site without paying get them up in arms - and for good reason.

An FFL01 can do the mods with a customer's already owned firearm as it is gunsmithing. An FFL07 can modify them pre-sale, but they must engrave their info on it. A non-licensee can do neither.

An FFL01 can do the mods with a customer's already owned firearm as it is gunsmithing. An FFL08 can modify them pre-sale, but they must engage their info on it. A non-licensee can do neither.

But if I buy a stripped lower, build it into a rifle, and sell it I would need an FFL07 and I have to pay the 11% FET correct?

But if you buy a stripped lower, build it into a rifle, and sell it I would need an FFL07 and I have to pay the 11% FET correct?

I meant an FFL07. Correct. And it must be stamped with the FFL07s info. But, an FFL07 can build up to 50 firearms per year without paying the excise tax. The trick is to sell the parts then do the mods.

So if a guy is stopped is a paper ok?

Probably will never be an issue.

No, in the eyes of the state a stripped lower is a rifle

I don't think that is correct Shawn - As a NJ resident you can't buy a stripped lower in PA anymore.

In any event we are taking about FFLs. You know what the first F is for right? It ain't NJ.

And, if I remember correctly, assembling an AR from parts that you own in order to sell a complete finished rifle is manufacturing. Assembling a complete rifle from parts owned by someone else is gunsmithing.

Hopefully Paul will confirm.

Hometown is an FFL01. If the modifications are being done to non-banned firearms to make them NJ compliant for sale, then the dealer must be an FFL07 and they must stamped their info on the firearm. This is the legal way to do it. Now I am not saying that I never modded firearms for sale purposes. You just need to fly under the radar.

What is this piece of paper gonna say?

"Muzzle break pinned by FFL?" Or something like that?

If that is a get out of jail free card then I will just get one done by that FFL and then every subsequent rifle I own I would just glue on the brake and use that piece of paper as my backup and say "he said he pinned it i guess he ripped me off" (because the work was so clean)

Also where does it say what permanently attached. The njsp said it has to destroy the barrel to temive. But I'd that in writting

Logic would say that if you can remove a muzzle device and still be able to use the threads to thread a flash hider on, it is not legal. If you use the NFA Federal standards, it must be permanent.