Shawnmoore81

Welding a muzzle brake

Let's get back to the original question -- I don't give a crap about Shawns FFL status 

Since when does a weld mark on a muzzle device mean it's actually pinned?  I can easily take the tig welder and bugger up a spot on a muzzle device.

Wouldn't the final test be the attempted removal of attached muzzle device -- If it comes off, and the threads are usable afterwards, I would say your SOL

If you have properly pinned it with the pin actually protruding into the threads then does it really mater if the weld is visible or not?  The weld or lack of visible weld doesn't prove squat as to the presence of a pin.

I have one that's pinned and welded over, the weld was ground down flush with the brake. The "gunsmith I used" (because this is never something I would do in my garage at home) then hit the ground spot with a blueing pen I know where the pin is. But you have to look hard to find it. It's pinned on the underside of the barrel, so it's less noticeable.

I really hope I never have to change the gas block. Because it's a frigging work of metal art, I would hate to have "my gunsmith" drill out to remove.

Let's get back to the original question -- I don't give a crap about Shawns FFL status

Since when does a weld mark on a muzzle device mean it's actually pinned? I can easily take the tig welder and bugger up a spot on a muzzle device.

Wouldn't the final test be the attempted removal of attached muzzle device -- If it comes off, and the threads are usable afterwards, I would say your SOL

If you have properly pinned it with the pin actually protruding into the threads then does it really mater if the weld is visible or not? The weld or lack of visible weld doesn't prove squat as to the presence of a pin.

You are correct in your thinking. It can look as nice or as shitty as you want, as long is it is done correctly.

This is stupid. Not bashing LEO here but you actually think if LEO get that up close and personal to a citizen's rifle that they are going to know or even care that the brake is pinned correctly? I am willing to bet most will just see an evil black rifle and let the NJSP firearms unit then the court decide the suspects fate.

I just had a customer win a court battle over his guns.

The Camden county prosecutors office claimed Midwest px 15/20 mags were illegal and That a magpul fcs was also illegal. The gentleman hired nappens firm and won. The judge was mad that the po never even tested the mags. Here is where is got hairy. The judge asked him why he even needed a rifle like that. The prosecutor said that it is his right to own one. So both sides weren't friendly

You are not going to get a useful answer because there isn't one. It will depend on the totality of the circumstances. If things have gotten to where I am looking at the attachment method of the muzzle device on your rifle in order to determine how "permanent" it is, that's probably the least of your worries. It's also most likely out of my hands at that point and up to a county or state prosecutor.

I just had a customer win a court battle over his guns. The Camden county prosecutors office claimed Midwest px 15/20 mags were illegal and That a magpul fcs was also illegal. The gentleman hired nappens firm and won. The judge was mad that the po never even tested the mags. Here is where is got hairy. The judge asked him why he even needed a rifle like that. The prosecutor said that it is his right to own one. So both sides weren't friendly

Its comforting to know that NJ is keeping true to its colors in trying to screw over NJ gun owners over victimless "crimes" based off of unconstitutional laws. At least our State's esteemed govt and justice system is consistent.

I'm assuming the State will be setting up some kind of sting operation in trying to rid our streets of NJ gun owners who didn't have their muzzle brakes attached permanently enough, or their mags not altered permanently enough at 15 rounds. These people are truly the scourge and propagators of violence on our streets.

Talk about a government at war with its people. If this comment is true, this is one example that it really is happening.

Guy has bad luck with guns. He had empty p250 mags in his back seat but no gun with him when he was stopped by the east greenwich pd. the cop took his mags and never got em back. He wasn't charged with anything. To me that's theft

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Guy has bad luck with guns. He had empty p250 mags in his back seat but no gun with him when he was stopped by the east greenwich pd. the cop took his mags and never got em back. He wasn't charged with anything. To me that's theft Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

That's bogus! They consider the magazine "a part of the gun" didn't know it's illegal to transport gun parts now as well.

They probably destroyed them trying to take them apart in an attempt to prove they held more than 15rounds is my guess.

I just had a customer win a court battle over his guns. The Camden county prosecutors office claimed Midwest px 15/20 mags were illegal and That a magpul fcs was also illegal. The gentleman hired nappens firm and won. The judge was mad that the po never even tested the mags. Here is where is got hairy. The judge asked him why he even needed a rifle like that. The prosecutor said that it is his right to own one. So both sides weren't friendly

Is it me or are you and your customers Magnets for prosecution? 

I find this entire thread idiotic.  Your asking if you can pin a brake so cleanly that your worried about an issue with the NJSP and being able to prove its pinned. 

Why did you just not post your real thread.

I pin brakes amazingly clean. This is how much PM me.

Pardon my ignorance due to not living behind enemy lines in NJ but here's my take on it as an outsider.

Owning an AR15 type rifle in NJ is an exercise in risk tolerance.  Even if you have a 100% compliant rifle (including accessories), if an aggressive LEO sees an AR15 shooter and a Remington 700 shooter at the same range and wants to hassle one of them, the AR shooter is going to have a bad day.  I don't think it will matter how cleanly the modifications were done.  This is a major reason why I have a handful of dealers who refuse to stock anything but 15/20s as they feel they draw less attention while maintaining compliance.

Is Shawn as an 01 FFL in the clear pinning and welding muzzle devices?  It depends.  If he's doing the work on parts that were provided by the customer or parts that weren't part of a rifle originally, yes.  It's gunsmithing and can be done by an 01 or an 07.  If they were booked into the bound book as a rifle and the work is done prior to the sale of the rifle, no, 01s can't do that as a normal course of business.  Unfortunately, the normal course of business is not defined by the ATF.  FAET is collected if an 07 manufactures 50 or more title one firearms in a calendar year so that number is frequently used as the threshold for how much "manufacturing" an 01 can legally do.

Circling back to Shawn's original question of if providing documentation that the rifle was made compliant would be enough to pass muster if inspected by a LEO.  My answer would be "Maybe."  It depends on the LEO and situation.  if they want to jam the owner up, they will.  If they want to run the rifle through inspection/testing to verify that the muzzle device is permanently attached, the stock is pinned, the mags don't hold more than 15 rounds, etc., they will.  IMO, if you own an AR15 type rifle in NJ, this is something you should be aware of and ready to deal with.

This is off topic but this question relates to muzzle brakes.  Is it possible to "fix" a poorly welded muzzle brake?  I bought a rifle a while back and have never been happy with the weld which covers the pin.  The dealer I purchased this rifle from made no attempt to blend and left a giant weld blob on the end of my comp. 

This is off topic but this question relates to muzzle brakes.  Is it possible to "fix" a poorly welded muzzle brake?  I bought a rifle a while back and have never been happy with the weld which covers the pin.  The dealer I purchased this rifle from made no attempt to blend and left a giant weld blob on the end of my comp. 

Sure, Why not? --  You can do it yourself with just a dremel -- be careful and go slow and it will turn out just fine -- Touch up with a blueing pen once you're done

Is it me or are you and your customers Magnets for prosecution?

Not really, this particular person had 2 run ins. Tro's are actually common and cause a big headache for people for something that usually is just dropped anyway. Unfortunately women use them as weapons during break ups/ divorces.

Sure, Why not? --  You can do it yourself with just a dremel -- be careful and go slow and it will turn out just fine -- Touch up with a blueing pen once you're done

Correct. Just go slow, Use a dremel, Start with a fine stone and not to fast. you can smooth things out with a flap paper wheel to really make it smooth afterwards but you might need Super Cold Blue since if its really smooth :)

Remember you can always take more off but can add :)