mustang69

What is the correct way to block a magazine?

Just curious, but what is the correct way to block a magazine to hold 15 or less rounds?  I'm asking because I bought some handgun mags online that were advertised to hold 10 rounds.  I got them in the mail today and, sure enough, they only hold 10 rounds.

But, I pulled the base plate off one and the only thing that prevented loading more rounds was a plastic spacer between the baseplate and the spring.  I reassembled the mag without the spacer and now have 15 rounders (verified).  It works for me since I got 4 new Promag 15 round mags for a CZ75 for $32 including shipping.

But, was that a NJ legal way to modify them in the first place?  Seems too simple...

"Large capacity ammunition magazine" means a box, drum, tube or other container which is capable of holding more than 15 rounds of ammunition to be fed continuously and directly therefrom into a semi-automatic firearm.

Go to the CZ webpage store. They have a ton of mags for sale at different capacity. At standard, 15 and 10.

Between modifying yourself or buying compliant - sometimes it's just easier to buy it already set at 15.

Where was this from? --  I could use a few 15 rnd cz mags

Got them off ebay - yea, I know.  But for the price, even if only 2 of them work it's still cheap.  And I can change all four springs out and still be ahead.

"Large capacity ammunition magazine" means a box, drum, tube or other container which is capable of holding more than 15 rounds of ammunition to be fed continuously and directly therefrom into a semi-automatic firearm.

so essentially, then it doesn't have to be "permanently" modified....as long as it can't hold more than 15 rounds if/when checked?

From what I understand is it can't be easily converted to hold more than 15 --  Now "easily" is the issue -- what is easy to me may not be easy to you

If there is a block, like in these mags, then the floor plate should be permanently attached -- but what is permanent? -- most anything can be undone with enough patience and time

You see FFL's blocking AR15 mags with a simple rivet and calling them legal --  It takes 10 seconds for me to drill out that rivet 

The only truly legal mags in my mind are those that the body is only long enough to hold the alloted amount of ammo -- no matter what you do the body just won't be long enough to accept more than 15 rounds

Now even a short body isn't irreversible -- a person can weld 2 15 round ar15 mags  together and use a standard length spring --  the point is nothing ever is permanent,  you just have to figure out what permanent is in the eyes of NJ law

Good Luck

The only 100% NJ legal way is no way. Basically don't own any magazine....

Otherwise, folks seem to be comfortable with any way that they feel confident in defending if they had to have a day in court with an anti-gun rights judge, prosecutor, and jury presiding over their case.

Rivets, bent tabs, and fastened restriction devices attached to the base-plate have all been used both custom and commercially produced. It is universally accepted that anything that can be removed by hand without tools is a no-go.

Attached is what the mag looked like as originally received once I took it apart.

Baseplate - locking plate - spacer - another locking plate - spring - follower, all inside the metal magazine and holds 10 rounds.  I removed one of the locking plates and the spacer, now it holds 15.  Was as easy and quick as you'd expect.  The spacer is just a piece of plastic tubing cut to length.  I'm glad it only holds 15 rounds, I wouldn't want to defend that spacer in court.  

post-5531-0-46286400-1422740881_thumb.jpg

worse comes to worse, you could buy new springs.   theyre cheap enough.. 

im curious, though, on the point of this thread.  seems that you bought advertised 10 round mags, but were not permanently blocked and were easily altered to hold 15 (still legal in NJ).  Is it really just a question in general about blocking mags, or about these specific mags? 

Is this a mec-gar mag on a pic?

If yes, then I can bet it can hold more than 15 :-)

EDITED 5 minutes later:

Never mind, I checked my mec-gar pics, they have a different follower.

I posted this picture before, but will post it again - the only difference between 15rd FACTORY MADE Mec-Gar mags and 17rd FACTORY MADE Mec-Gar mags for CZ75 is a depressed part of a spring. Take 15rd mag, take pliers and in ~10 seconds you'll have a 17rd mag...

mecgar75.jpg

worse comes to worse, you could buy new springs.   theyre cheap enough.. 

im curious, though, on the point of this thread.  seems that you bought advertised 10 round mags, but were not permanently blocked and were easily altered to hold 15 (still legal in NJ).  Is it really just a question in general about blocking mags, or about these specific mags? 

The point was to understand what makes a legally blocked mag - Is it as simple as installing a spacer, or is there more to it?  I have a hard time accepting the spacer installed in these is NJ-compliant.  It's only luck that pulling the spacer out yields a still-compliant 15 rounder.  I don't have any other aftermarket mags for  my other handguns that are blocked.   I'd be pissed if these, which were definitely advertised as 10-rounders, weren't legal in NJ when the seller said they were.  It's only luck that the 15 they will hold without the spacer is still NJ-compliant.  In the end I guess it's all just buyer-beware.  

If the manufacturer/seller says it is a 10 round magazine, and you bought it as a 10 round magazine, it is a 10 round magazine.

One can cut down the follower legs of a Glock 19 magazine which holds 15 rounds, and make it hold 16 rounds.

If you modify a magazine to hold more than what it is designed to hold, ie. taking out the block or cutting the follower, you would be in violation of the law, not the manufacturer.

If the manufacturer/seller says it is a 10 round magazine, and you bought it as a 10 round magazine, it is a 10 round magazine.

One can cut down the follower legs of a Glock 19 magazine which holds 15 rounds, and make it hold 16 rounds.

If you modify a magazine to hold more than what it is designed to hold, ie. taking out the block or cutting the follower, you would be in violation of the law, not the manufacturer.

That's how I read it as well.  My XD40 mags are stamped "12 round" but if you push you can get a 13th round in there.  If there were a 12 round limit, I could sleep at night with a labelled and UNALTERED 12 round mag, as long as I didn't try to shove 13 in it.

Works for me. :)

I get that, but these look like something done in a home workshop.  I can prove they were advertised as 10 rounders, but the spacer here seems like something that could have been done with a length of pex pipe.   If this conforms to NJ guidelines, why couldn't anyone make a plastic spacer to adjust any mag over the limit?  Does modding a mag require a manufacturers license?  

I get that, but these look like something done in a home workshop. I can prove they were advertised as 10 rounders, but the spacer here seems like something that could have been done with a length of pex pipe. If this conforms to NJ guidelines, why couldn't anyone make a plastic spacer to adjust any mag over the limit? Does modding a mag require a manufacturers license?

You can do it yourself as long as you're in a state where the high capacity magazine is legal. The problem is you can't possess a high cap mag in NJ unless you have a FFL.

Attached is what the mag looked like as originally received once I took it apart.

Baseplate - locking plate - spacer - another locking plate - spring - follower, all inside the metal magazine and holds 10 rounds.  I removed one of the locking plates and the spacer, now it holds 15.  Was as easy and quick as you'd expect.  The spacer is just a piece of plastic tubing cut to length.  I'm glad it only holds 15 rounds, I wouldn't want to defend that spacer in court.  

You have 15 round mags, which are legal in NJ. The good news is that the follower keeps it at 15, which si the hard part with CZ pattern mags. THe bad news is that if osmeday you need to be compliant with a 10 round limit, no that spacer is not good to go for that. However, that isn't the law right now. The law is 15, and you have perfectly valid 15 round mags that you should feel free to use. 

Just curious, but what is the correct way to block a magazine to hold 15 or less rounds? I'm asking because I bought some handgun mags online that were advertised to hold 10 rounds. I got them in the mail today and, sure enough, they only hold 10 rounds.

But, I pulled the base plate off one and the only thing that prevented loading more rounds was a plastic spacer between the baseplate and the spring. I reassembled the mag without the spacer and now have 15 rounders (verified). It works for me since I got 4 new Promag 15 round mags for a CZ75 for $32 including shipping.

But, was that a NJ legal way to modify them in the first place? Seems too simple...

My favorite method for blocked magazines, is to call Midwest PX and order them done.B)

Do the other states that have a mag limit law also say they must be permanent?

Colorado. There's more than a bit of speculation by some that any magazine with a removable baseplate could be considered illegal regardless of it's designed capacity as it could be construed by a judge to be "designed to be readily converted".

If it was designed as high capacity, but has been permanently alatered, it is excluded form being considered a high capacity magazine.

Much like NJ, nobody specified what imprecise language means in terms of practical use.

This topic has been kicking around since day 1 of the Florio ban. According to the AG's office the block must be permanent. Most are interpreting that to mean that the block has to be done in such a way that any process necessary to unblock the mag would destroy it. I have a JPG of the letter sent to licensees but I don't know how to post it.

This topic has been kicking around since day 1 of the Florio ban. According to the AG's office the block must be permanent. Most are interpreting that to mean that the block has to be done in such a way that any process necessary to unblock the mag would destroy it. I have a JPG of the letter sent to licensees but I don't know how to post it.

"Destroy"? I never heard of such a letter. Text or email it to me please.

upload it to one of the photo hosting websites like photobucket.com and then post the link here.