302w

What sling material do I want to use?

I'm looking to tinker with something small and I am interested in making my own sling. I don't know what material to use. I use USGI M1 cotton slings for a couple of rifles and I like how "grippy" it is. I feel like nylon or polypropylene would be slippery but I have not used it.

strapworks.com seems to be the McMaster-Carr of straps and hardware and they offer nylon, tubular nylon, light/heavy polypropylene, polyester, seatbelt, and ribbon. I can buy cotton webbing online but I imagine not all are created equal.

Suggestions?  

My son made one for his 22 --  I made a board and set him up with the right length starter cords then he wove it

The only problem we had was I needed to attach more cord a few days later after some use -- The cord didn't stretch but the weave got tighter so we needed to add more weave

I turned out great for a 9 year old kid and is still on the rifle today 6 years later -- plus you have like 70 feet of paracord if you need it... 

I made a paracord sling for my 22 bolt gun more for fun than anything. It works great nut I'm planning to make a new one soon and add a clip into the strap to make it a little easier. If you do a paracord weave make sure to start off about 2-3 inches longer than you want the finished length to account for the weaving. I made mine in about 1.5 once I got things set up.

Does anyone know how to sew canvas/heavy duty nylon? I decided to re purpose a sling I had, but I had a hard time sewing it. It feels like cotton canvas but melts like nylon. Otherwise I will buy a sewing awl.