Sign in to follow this  
Vicious

Good Rear Sight Pusher?

I got the brownells P500 tool here. my standard rental fee is guesting into a range I've never been to before, or a box of ammo. :D

Thank you for the offer, but I wanted to buy one to be able to make little adjustments if/when needed. Plus I wouldn't be as upset if I broke my own tool (kidding).

I may go the brass punch and hammer route, but I was under the assumption that the pusher made it waaaaaay easier.

I'm not saying I want a "cheap" one, I just think that some of those devices are a bit overpriced.

I was thinking I needed one but had too many different types of firearms for a single sight pusher to work. I went with the Dawson sight punching tool. For the rear, it's got a nylon tip to protect the sight. This is as universal as it gets. I swapped all of my sights with these. The best part is that it is priced right. Buy a few if you think you are going to be heavy handed. If you buy sights from Dawson, the punch are included.

Throw the slide in the vise and tap using the tool and a brass hammer. Just make sure the vise is lined with a wood block so you do not scratch your slide. Paint stirring sticks work well for this. Don't forget to loctite the set screws. I had sights walk on me the first time.

Check out the Dawson videos on how to swap out your sights.

https://m.youtube.com/user/DawsonPrecision

Well I will try the punch and hammer on my Glock, if I fail at the task, I'll go for one of the recommended pushers. DargZ, thanks for the videos. It seems pretty straight forward, I think I consider it to be a more delicate task than it really is.

If you have not done it, pick up some fine files. HD has a small file set that I've used. Go slow with the file. It is really trial and error as per the video.

Calipers should help you center them on the slide before going out to the range. Fine adjustment can be made by loosening the set screw that holds the sight in place. You can loctite the set screw at the range after you have centered.

I got the brownells P500 tool here. my standard rental fee is guesting into a range I've never been to before, or a box of ammo. :D

IMO that thing is not a good use of the money. Realistically to get it to work, you need a vise. It also doesn't play well with a number of slide profiles, and will readily destroy itself. Works great with 1911 pattern guns, but realistically, so does a vise, a hammer, and some brass punches.

That fisher solutions one looks like a number of pushers that work pretty well though.