Sign in to follow this  
blksheep

Enfield MK4 No1 Marked US Property

If it has a large "S" on the left side of the receiver, almost resembling a number 5, it was made by Savage.  Check the king screw, the screw right in front of the magazine well.  I've been told the rifle should be stored with it loose a thread or two to allow the would to expand and contract.  I've taken mine to the range and wondered why I couldn't hit anything, only to find it loose when I got home.  Surplus ammo can still be found from time to time, but lots of folks don't like that cordite burns very hot, and may burn up barrels prematurely.  Probably only a real issue if you're blasting hundreds of rounds away in short order.  Prvi Partisan makes affordable .303 ammo that's not too bad and I'm told is nice brass for reloading.  Of course we'll need pics, and enjoy your new rifle.  USNMars and Nickjc know far more than I do about these, for more info, hit them up.

And here's a video of "The Mad Minute."

http://youtu.be/kp0KGpBFG60

Robert, my unissued savage has the king screw peened from the factory. Post pics and I'll give you some info

Mine is far from unissued, but I like it.  Bolt and receiver numbers match, magazine is forced matched.  Bolt head is stamped number 1 I believe, and the barrel looks pretty decent.  the bad:  stock has been repaired and refinished, the rear sight is broken, and the brass butt plate is too large.  But I bought it to shoot it, and preserve a piece of history.  I'm going to take it to East Bangor this afternoon, I've got a new 1911 to try out as well.  pics forthcoming.