Mina1227

Your thoughts on an ar-15 15" quad rail.

My thoughts are don't get a quad rail. Get some form of modular handguard. Sharp teeth are not fun to hold onto, they weight a lot, and you either end up not using all the rail bits and then you look like you are just a cheese grater enthusiast, or you cover the entire thing useless gear. Best case, you end up paying even more money to cover the rail bits with plastic bits which just add more weight and diameter.

Don't do it.

i personally prefer a bit of a shorter rail on a 16" barrel.  the one I bought was 12"..  leaves just enough of the barrel out, but not too much.  but if its purely cosmetic, and you like the look of basically just the brake sticking out, more power to ya

I have 2x AR's both with 14.5+1.5" barrels. One has a 11" quad rail (Troy Bravo) and the other with a 13" tube top rail (Troy Alpha). I like the looks of the quad rail but tend to use the tube rail AR more so because even though its longer, its the lighter of the two. They both have the same accessories except the quad rail has a handstop and rail ladder covers on the sides.

15" quad rail seems overly excessive to me. What accessories are you looking to mount? If you want something that long, I'd go for a tube rail.

I was going to add a grip, a light on the side and maybe a laser. I only wanted to do it for the look, but now maybe I should rethink it and look at my other options. I want to achieve this look but with an attachment on the side.

4c5d1d109e68d1da9def538fd36c3c7b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would suggest worrying a bit less about looks and more about function.   Personally I'd advise against a forward grip unless you have so much stuff on your handguard that you have no room for your hand.

Get 11-13" free floated handguard with a top rail, attach your light from the top rail to the side, and shoot the gun a lot before you decide you need lasers, forward grips, etc.

For reference I run a 15" handguard on a 18" barrel and even that is pushing it. I can berely reach the end of it and I have long arms. I do use it to rest it on things on occasion but with the handguard that close to the muzzle one day you will grab to far forward and learn why comps wear out from flame jets.

Yea, this makes a lot of sense. This is my first rifle and I just wanted to make it cool looking. I was thinking about buying the cheapest ar15 then adding all those attachments. Thank for your help guys!!! Any other recommended cool looking rifles I should look into?!?

Forget looks, you will be happier in the long run.

Don't buy the cheapest AR, because what you are proposing is buying a 1980's Chevy compact sedan, then slowly adding ground effects, fake exhausts, and Jegs stickers until it looks cool, but it is still nothing but an 80's Chevy, working half the time and leaving oil slicks where ever it goes. And everyone knows it isn't anywhere near as cool as the proud owners thinks it is.

Buy a quality rifle, spend money on ammo and some training. Your only accessories should be a sling and a light until you know exactly what purpose the next "accessory" serves.

Forget looks, you will be happier in the long run.

Buy a quality rifle, spend money on ammo and some training. Your only accessories should be a sling and a light until you know exactly what purpose the next "accessory" serves.

This is SOLID advice.

I like quad rails on fighting carbines

can't believe people talk about weight with a 7lb ish AR....

its not that a 7lb gun is heavy.. or an 8lb.. or 9lb.. it is about pros and cons.. the Pro of some of these newer style handguards is definitely weight... but also slimness.. and direct attachment of gear.. without any real con.. why do you prefer a rail? for what reason? when you can accomplish the same with a  slimmer lighter unit..

I just finished a build using a keymod midwest industries top rail setup. I much prefer the smaller diameter/smooth sides and bottom over my DD LITE quad setup when it comes to feel.

I'm completely sold on the top rail only style, and using the adapters whether it be keymod, mlok, or others to place individual rail sections where/if you need them.

its not that a 7lb gun is heavy.. or an 8lb.. or 9lb.. it is about pros and cons.. the Pro of some of these newer style handguards is definitely weight... but also slimness.. and direct attachment of gear.. without any real con.. why do you prefer a rail? for what reason? when you can accomplish the same with a  slimmer lighter unit..

absolutely agree and agree with high exposure that the mission drives the gear.

My point was merely that too many people just look at weight and  chime in about it.  Truth is, very few of these weight savings' actually matter in the grand scheme of things.  You can train with which ever AR and in any config you want, all of this is muscle memory anyway.  With ARs, we see a massive amount of group think and placebo effect for sure.

I just finished a build using a keymod midwest industries top rail setup. I much prefer the smaller diameter/smooth sides and bottom over my DD LITE quad setup when it comes to feel.

I'm completely sold on the top rail only style, and using the adapters whether it be keymod, mlok, or others to place individual rail sections where/if you need them.

which by the way, is a sweet set up you have!

great meeting you

Niceeeeee!!! That is very similar to the look I wanted. Maybe I should consider a 13 or 15" hand guard rail instead of quad rail. I wanted to be able to attach a light on the side and the option for a grip. I think I can still do that.

Niceeeeee!!! That is very similar to the look I wanted. Maybe I should consider a 13 or 15" hand guard rail instead of quad rail. I wanted to be able to attach a light on the side and the option for a grip. I think I can still do that.

I went for a long handguard on my 14.5" barrel - 13" BCM KMR:

AXihLZn.jpg?1

Niceeeeee!!! That is very similar to the look I wanted. Maybe I should consider a 13 or 15" hand guard rail instead of quad rail. I wanted to be able to attach a light on the side and the option for a grip. I think I can still do that. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know that on mine attaching a light is not a problem. If you're in the north jersey feel free to swing by and take a gander. See if you dig the feel and weight/balance.

C

Niceeeeee!!! That is very similar to the look I wanted. Maybe I should consider a 13 or 15" hand guard rail instead of quad rail. I wanted to be able to attach a light on the side and the option for a grip. I think I can still do that. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I recently assembled this rifle and it is currently my favorite and the one I grab every time I reach in the safe.

F2A49BE5-3696-4916-BF69-9915718934DF_zps

82544D54-655F-4CCB-B837-22A2CFD42635_zps

Troy 13" Alpha on a 16" barrel.

It's light, smooth, and slim. It points fast and shoots great.

I was dead set on putting a 15" rail on my 18" build but in the end decided on a 13.5". I'm glad I did. 15" doesn't add any benefit. I don't run my hand out that far. Some even suggest that over a certain length distance on the irons is detrimental.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v217/wsaraceni/935355B2-E0CA-47F1-A62A-C32BB822E68D_zpseclgogg1.jpg

13.5" NSR on both a 14.5" and 18" barrel