Samdjr74

Need some ideas in a new revolver

Hi all,

So I got 3 permits coming in, 1 had already been spoken for with a Taurus tracker, the second is going towards a Chiappa rhino in 357. But I need some ideas for the third one. I want a modern style revolver in a 38 or 357 and prefer it to be below $800 if possible. I'm using this for sport/target shooting so a longer barrel would be better.

Let me know what you think

Sam

The gp100 is on my short list. I handled the standard and the match champion over at red dot and the match champion felt a lot nicer in the hand but is slightly over my budget. The standard was fine but I would need to replace the grips

Sorry...forgot about that. What about a gp100

I'm thinking this might be the way to go but I'm keeping my options open. I got a while before I can buy it, who knows, maybe something new and cooo came out of SHOT!

Get a gp100. Spring kit and new grips and you're still well under budget and you'll love it.

I'd recommend a 686, but if you got one then you'd want to sell the Taurus and Chiappa and you'd be right back to square one again.

LOL, SOOOOO true!

For the OP, NOT Bob:  And not-for-nuthin', but once again we never ask or find-out exactly what the purchase is to be used for.  "I have a permit to burn" is the stupidest reason to buy a gun.  Spend another 2 bucks when you have a REASON to buy sumthin', lol.  It's akin to asking a car forum if a Fiat shitshaker can haul an entire bedroom set of furniture on its' back, across the country for a move!  The answer is SURE you can, with several cross-country trips, lol! And a mini U-Haul trailer....

For the OP, NOT Bob:  Also, there's still lots of older used Model 10's laying around for well under $400 with buttery triggers that are capable of 50 yard performance, and from what I've been told, the older guns have nicer triggers than the brandy-new stuff coming out of the Performance Center...  I just saw a slightly used 6" model 66 somewhere that looked GREAT.  So please consider a QUALITY used example of a higher-end gun.  5 years from now your slightly used gun will have gone up in value....

LOL, SOOOOO true!

For the OP, NOT Bob:  And not-for-nuthin', but once again we never ask or find-out exactly what the purchase is to be used for.  "I have a permit to burn" is the stupidest reason to buy a gun.  Spend another 2 bucks when you have a REASON to buy sumthin', lol.  It's akin to asking a car forum if a Fiat shitshaker can haul an entire bedroom set of furniture on its' back, across the country for a move!  The answer is SURE you can, with several cross-country trips, lol! And a mini U-Haul trailer....

For the OP, NOT Bob:  Also, there's still lots of older used Model 10's laying around for well under $400 with buttery triggers that are capable of 50 yard performance, and from what I've been told, the older guns have nicer triggers than the brandy-new stuff coming out of the Performance Center...  I just saw a slightly used 6" model 66 somewhere that looked GREAT.  So please consider a QUALITY used example of a higher-end gun.  5 years from now your slightly used gun will have gone up in value....

I'm not sure how much humor is in the post, I hope a lot.

As I mentioned before I target/sport shoot, so that's the main use of the gun. As far as having a permit to "burn" here's the story. I had my eye on 3 guns, a Taurus Tracker 990 which I ordered already, a Chiappa Rhino 50DS and the third was going to be a H&R Sportmens 999. The H&R was going to be a challenge to find as it hasn't been made in some time so I wanted the permit handy when I found one. It turns out a friend of mine owns one. I gave it a try and really didn't like it so now I have a third permit to use. And it's not just a loss of $2. If I don't use the permit and need to request another one at a later date it's $22, $2 for the permit and $20 for the background check. So I figure I have the permit I might as well use it.

I'd recommend a 686, but if you got one then you'd want to sell the Taurus and Chiappa and you'd be right back to square one again.

I've owned or shot all kinds of revolvers, including Charter Arms, Taurus, Ruger, Dan Wesson, Colt, and S&W.

If you have and like your Taurus, I STRONGLY recommend you NEVER shoot, dry fire, or even touch a Colt or a S&W.  Your opinion will instantly change, and you will immediately commence selling-off all your Taurus revolvers. 

In all seriousness...Taurus makes a decent revolver, but the fit/finish/quality is not up to a Colt or a S&W.

EDIT - I agree, the H&R 999 is a really interesting revolver, but I wouldn't trade my Colt .22 Trooper MK III for one... 

I've owned or shot all kinds of revolvers, including Charter Arms, Taurus, Ruger, Dan Wesson, Colt, and S&W.

If you have and like your Taurus, I STRONGLY recommend you NEVER shoot, dry fire, or even touch a Colt or a S&W.  Your opinion will instantly change, and you will immediately commence selling-off all your Taurus revolvers. 

In all seriousness...Taurus makes a decent revolver, but the fit/finish/quality is not up to a Colt or a S&W.

EDIT - I agree, the H&R 999 is a really interesting revolver, but I wouldn't trade my Colt .22 Trooper MK III for one... 

I agree Colt makes a hell of a revolver and I'd love to have an anoconda or python but that's way out of my budget. As far as S&W, again, they don't do very much for me, I prefer the feel of a Ruger over most stock S&W's

And yes the 999 is interesting, I just felt it was missing something

I know they had some problems before but I heard they fixed the majority. What did you hear them say from SHOT?

The agreed that they've had way too many guns come back for service. New guns, not guns that have been shot a lot. They said they have worked hard recently to establish better quality control to be sure they don't have a lot of comebacks.

The agreed that they've had way too many guns come back for service. New guns, not guns that have been shot a lot. They said they have worked hard recently to establish better quality control to be sure they don't have a lot of comebacks.

Thats old news.. i have 4 taurus guns no issues with any of them..