jerseyfire

Home Carry (Pistol) Storage

What do you guys recommend as a secondary storage for home carry? I've heard some use a portable safe and bring from room to room etc.

Not looking to holster carry, or on person. Just safe, place to keep it for easy access when not stored in the primary storage area.

I use one of those quick access push button pistol safes that's bolted down. Works great but I feel it's not very good on battery power. Mine uses 6 or 8 AA batteries and lasts about 1 year. Also comes with a key to open.

Personally, if I only had one gun I'd want to keep it in one location. That way if I'm ever in a situation where it's needed I know exactly where to find it. If you want to be prepared in different locations without carrying in a holster, buy more guns.

But if you really want a portable safe solution, check out the following:

http://vlineind.com/ProductDetail.php?product_id=29

You can buy additional brackets to mount beneath or on top of various surfaces, and no batteries to worry about.

What do you guys recommend as a secondary storage for home carry? I've heard some use a portable safe and bring from room to room etc.

Not looking to holster carry, or on person. Just safe, place to keep it for easy access when not stored in the primary storage area.

Not exactly sure what your trying to accomplish here. But if your looking to carry a safe/lock box around your house as you roam from room to room all day long just get a holster. You can get a retension holster like a Blackhawk serpa or a thumbreak holster. Or just get a pistol for every floor of the house.

If you don't have any kids, you can put it literally anywhere.

If you do have kids, then you have to look into some sort of lock-box option.

Exactly. If you don't have children, you can leave it literally anywhere. What's wrong with your nightstand?

Heavy duty magnets strategically mounted under or behind each room's furniture but only if childless or a home not typically visited by children......

Heavy duty magnets strategically mounted under or behind each room's furniture but only if childless or a home not typically visited by children......

Didn't know why I never thought of this. That's a good idea! Where would one source these??

Didn't know why I never thought of this. That's a good idea! Where would one source these??

I got some very strong ones that was vinyl covered so as not to mar your firearm's finish from Sportsman Guide and Natchez.

I'm relaxing at home not lugging around a belt.holster and firearm regardless of how small and light it is....

Kids or no kids.

Lock them up.

I would highly advise the use of lockable safe either the combination type or key operated. or at the very least a trigger lock.  

The safes keep them secure when your not at home or away for any length of time.

I feel that a safe is better as they are secure from theft if you use just a trigger lock.  It will only take a individual a few minutes with a drill to removed the trigger lock.  Same can be said for a safe. but they can be bolted down.  (Another barrier)

Make no bones about, one is open and ready each night but is secured when I am not at home.

There will those that disagree, and that is OK.  But here is trick you can use.  Place a Snap Cap in the firest round position of your magazine, so if the firearms is ever taken by someone you don't wish to have it or should not have it, you gain a few seconds of time.

Just don't forget that you did this.  Beside the sound of you racking the slide (pistol) may deter the intruder.

I really don't think you should be carrying an unholstered handgun around the house and sticking it to magnets under and behind things for storage. Handguns like holsters. If you want to do this, put the magnets on the holster or use a holster that will stick to the magnets. You can draw it from the holster just as fast as you can pull it from the magnets with the right setup.

If you want home carry get a holster and carry to your heart's content. Makes no sense to have one "safe" location. The gun you can draw in 1/2 second is much more useful than the one you have to extract from a safe.

Beside the sound of you racking the slide (pistol) may deter the intruder.

Maybe in the movies... You are buying yourselves seconds if someone gets the gun... But you are also buying the criminal those same seconds if you need to quickly react... Bad advice imo...

On your person or secured in a manner consistent with accepted firearms safety practices.

But here is trick you can use.  Place a Snap Cap in the firest round position of your magazine, so if the firearms is ever taken by someone you don't wish to have it or should not have it, you gain a few seconds of time.

Just don't forget that you did this.  Beside the sound of you racking the slide (pistol) may deter the intruder.

^^^ Don't do this :facepalm:

This is some of the worse advice I have ever seen regarding self defense/home defense.

• Like 1

Kids or no kids.

Lock them up.

I would highly advise the use of lockable safe either the combination type or key operated. or at the very least a trigger lock.  

The safes keep them secure when your not at home or away for any length of time.

I feel that a safe is better as they are secure from theft if you use just a trigger lock.  It will only take a individual a few minutes with a drill to removed the trigger lock.  Same can be said for a safe. but they can be bolted down.  (Another barrier)

Make no bones about, one is open and ready each night but is secured when I am not at home.

There will those that disagree, and that is OK.  But here is trick you can use.  Place a Snap Cap in the firest round position of your magazine, so if the firearms is ever taken by someone you don't wish to have it or should not have it, you gain a few seconds of time.

The first bit of your response did not answer the OP's question.  Your advice about home defense is horrible.  I have never heard of using a snap cap as the first round.  Racking the slide in an attempt to scare the intruder is some of the worst, yet most common home defense advice ever given.

The first bit of your response did not answer the OP's question.  Your advice about home defense is horrible.  I have never heard of using a snap cap as the first round.  Racking the slide in an attempt to scare the intruder is some of the worst, yet most common home defense advice ever given.

I've always been of the opinion that the intruder would be far more scared of the round that struck him or her center mass. If they have forced their way in they are a threat.

Ok, I may be new here but why would anyone want a weapon for home defense if you had to go find it when you had to defend your home? Seems to me a compact pistol in a holster is what you would need. A home invasion has to be a tense situation. Going to retrieve your weapon might waste the time you needed to not get killed.

Only time I'd want a weapon in a safe, and it would have to be a safe in my bedroom that I can open quickly, is when I'm sleeping or maybe actually in the pool swimming. Just my newbie opinion.

I have one version of this safe for my HD gun. It sits in a room on the main floor. I cant see carrying the gun around the house under normal situations. If you live such a life or in such a place Change/move.

When I get the urge or settle in for the night it comes out for quicker responce should it come to that need. But buy a safe you never know when your kids and friends will drop by and it gets a little silly having to go and secure it at that point. And sometimes you just plain forget you left it in the nightstand. It happens were human.

http://vlineind.com/Default.php

I would announce loudly but words would not be required. Just a few fire extinguishers and a whole lot of spackle.

Ive been in a situation like this. Trust me you are not in stealth mode. Your a bit shocked and you (or at least I) called that person every name in the book loudly.

In my case he looked at me did not say a word and walked away. This was an outside intruder some years ago in a rural setting. No biggie just a vagrent not expecting anyone to be in a country shed that day of the week.LOL

But I always thought I would be calm and truth be told I just got angry and aggressive. Not stealth at all.

I have one version of this safe for my HD gun. It sits in a room on the main floor. I cant see carrying the gun around the house under normal situations. If you live such a life or in such a place Change/move.

When I get the urge or settle in for the night it comes out for quicker responce should it come to that need. But buy a safe you never know when your kids and friends will drop by and it gets a little silly having to go and secure it at that point. And sometimes you just plain forget you left it in the nightstand. It happens were human.

http://vlineind.com/Default.php

So why do you feel the need to have a home defense weapon if you are not going to be able to use it?

If I live in an area where I may need to defend myself in my home it's OK, but you live in an area where you don't need to defend yourself in your home?

When I get the urge or settle in for the night it comes out for quicker responce should it come to that need.

So you choose when a criminal gets to attack? Where is the demarcation between places that are so bad I don't get to choose when a criminal attacks (your quote "If you live such a life or in such a place Change/move") and should move and your place where you know when a criminal might attack and you prepare yourself?

Ive been in a situation like this. Trust me you are not in stealth mode. Your a bit shocked and you (or at least I) called that person every name in the book loudly.

In my case he looked at me did not say a word and walked away. This was an outside intruder some years ago in a rural setting. No biggie just a vagrent not expecting anyone to be in a country shed that day of the week.LOL

But I always thought I would be calm and truth be told I just got angry and aggressive. Not stealth at all.

I think you misunderstood me. What you quoted was me saying I would probably fire 100 rounds, including a lot of tracer, in about six seconds.

Trust me you are not in stealth mode.

I don't have to trust you for anything, I have no idea what "stealth mode" means, and have nothing to learn from your naivete and inexperience.