AVB-AMG

AVB-AMG - New Member Intro.

Hello all……

I just discovered this online forum and decided to join in order to meet new folks and learn what I can from them and their experiences and share mine.

Way back when I was a young teenager, I was on a 22 rifle team and became a proficient and consistent shooter, earning my NRA Bar 9 ranking shooting in the prone, seated and standing positions, then lost interest as my hormones kicked in and I discovered girls.  Over the years I have occasionally enjoyed shooting clays with shotguns at various outings and was pleased to find that I was pretty good at it as well.

In the past 6 months I have obtained my NJ Firearms ID card and have purchased several 9mm semi-automatic hand guns.  I originally intended to only buy one for home defense/protection.  Prior to purchasing any gun I took the “First Steps Pistol” course conducted at the Gun For Hire range in Woodland Park, NJ, to learn the basics about various pistols, something that I think everyone who is new to hand guns should do, if not be required to do, to learn the basics about these guns, including safety procedures.

Subsequently, the gun I decided to purchase is new Glock 17, Gen 4 which I have gradually modified with upgraded parts including a tungsten guide rod and spring, ext. aluminum magazine catch, Trijicon HD night sights, and the Ultimate Pyramid Trigger System.  Most recently I purchased and affixed to the pistol on its rail a SureFire X400 Ultra LED light with green Laser. 

Once I had it and joined as a member at the Gun For Hire range and was practicing, I discovered that I really enjoy shooting as a recreational sport and am eager to practice to continually improve my accuracy.  I also started to rent various other 9mm hand guns to try them out shooting on the range as sort of a “test drive” and experienced the various subtle nuances between different makes and models.  I appreciate each of these guns for their reputations, individual unique aspects, high quality fit and finish, different trigger feel and proven reliability.  I have been enjoying learning the differences and feel between a hammer vs. striker action; polymer vs. metal; light vs. heavy weight, and barrel length, affecting how it feels in my hand and the resulting accuracy in shooting.

This past month I visited the RTSP range in Randolph, NJ and was also impressed with their expansive new facility and decided to also join there as a member.  My home is about equal distant from both Gun For Hire and RTSP ranges so I split my practice time between both.  I look forward to participating in the forums here.

AVB-AMG

Welcome to the forums. You seem to be a prime candidate for Gun Games. IDPA is a good place to start. Your modified Glock falls outside the rules, but the H&K or Sig would be fine, as would the PPQ-M2 - BTW, the Steyr M-A1 is what the next generation Glock should have been - same designer (Bubits) involved.

There are still slots open for the Somerset match of 2/15. This is indoors, so not weather dependent (still a tad frosty - dress warmly). Space is limited so you must sign-up here...

http://www.somersetidpa.com/matches/

You will need to arrive early to get the new shooter briefing. Check out the stickies at the top of the compteition and fun shoot section. Other than your gun, you will need a holster (trigger must be covered), three magazines and two single or one dual mag pouch and about 100 - 150 rounds of ammo. Eyes & ears of course. You will never go back to static target practice again.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Thanks everyone....

Pizza Bob:   The IDPA Gun Games in Somerset, NJ sounds like fun...   Unfortunately, my wife and I will be traveling out of state over the President's Day Holiday weekend, so maybe I can join you all in either March or April.

AVB-AMG

Thanks everyone....

Pizza Bob:   The IDPA Gun Games in Somerset, NJ sounds like fun...   Unfortunately, my wife and I will be traveling out of state over the President's Day Holiday weekend, so maybe I can join you all in either March or April.

AVB-AMG

Somerset is the third Sunday of every month. March is also when several other clubs (outdoor) in the area start up again,