Sign in to follow this  
GlastonburyNative

Pre-Ban AR-15 Lower: Where to Find?

I'll keep my story short, but I may relocate to my home state of Connecticut in the near future.  I own an evil black rifle and I need a source for a pre-ban lower in order to legally keep my rifle.  Problem is, my web surfing skills suck and I have not had any luck on GB.  Does anyone know a good source?

Best Regards

I thought CT had one of those registration schemes. Hate to say it but I would not even leave NJ unless absolutely essential.

They have a hybrid scheme it seems. Here is what Wikipedia says:

"Assault weapon" law? CGS 53–202 Partial ban. Selective fire weapons, some .50 BMG variants, and semiautomatic center-fire firearms with one defined feature; banned weapons lawfully possessed prior to this date must be registered with DESPP. Registered weapons may only be sold or transferred to a licensed gun dealer, to the State Police or local police department or transferred to a recipient outside of Connecticut. Assault weapons manufactured and lawfully obtained prior to September 13, 1994 no longer require registration with DESPP and may be sold or transferred to non-prohibited persons.[1] Exceptions exist for active and retired law enforcement and military members.

Preban in the clear, shall issue carry, NFA allowed, I'd take CT over NJ. I think you might be limited to 10 round mags, though.

What lower do you have now?

A 2014 Daniel Defense lower with their furniture.  I may transfer the lower to my girlfriend in the event I end up in NJ at some point in time.

They have a hybrid scheme it seems. Here is what Wikipedia says:

"Assault weapon" law? CGS 53–202 Partial ban. Selective fire weapons, some .50 BMG variants, and semiautomatic center-fire firearms with one defined feature; banned weapons lawfully possessed prior to this date must be registered with DESPP. Registered weapons may only be sold or transferred to a licensed gun dealer, to the State Police or local police department or transferred to a recipient outside of Connecticut. Assault weapons manufactured and lawfully obtained prior to September 13, 1994 no longer require registration with DESPP and may be sold or transferred to non-prohibited persons.[1] Exceptions exist for active and retired law enforcement and military members.

Preban in the clear, shall issue carry, NFA allowed, I'd take CT over NJ. I think you might be limited to 10 round mags, though.

The 10 round limit is definitely a bummer.  As you stated, when considering the ability to carry and NFA, this potential move has it benefits.  On top of that, we have organizations willing to litigate against the state; our own state. 

I think it is more likely you find a complete pre-ban rifle than just a lower. I don't think there are a lot of used lowers for sale in general. Also, a lot less people made ARs back then. Most of the stuff advertised is Colt. Not sure which ones are legal/illegal under NJ law before you move to CT.