Sign in to follow this  
scarecrow

Thinking About Getting a 17 HMR Rifle

Savage 93R17TR owner here. Threw a Nikon 4.5-14x40 scope and bipod on it, and it is a fun mini 'tactical' rifle. Have put probably 1000-1250 rounds through it. Rifle is extremely accurate with all factory ammo I have tried (though it seems to like cci/hornady best). I have managed sub-moa 5shot groups at 100 yards, and I am at best an average shooter. I love the rifle and the caliber, and it is my girlfriend's favorite rifle due to the caliber. I got it because at the time, a box of 50rds was only a couple dollars more than a 20rd box of cheap bulk .223, or a few bucks less than a 20rd box of match .223.

Only major downside is cleaning, since you will very likely need a whole new cleaning kit just for that specific caliber. Also, if you are shooting paper at 100+ yards, probably going to need some seriously powerful scope/spotting scope to see those tiny holes... Availability of ammo might be a concern, I find it is hit or miss, though more available recently.

I say go for it...its a lot of fun to shoot, and a good step-up caliber for new shooters.

Savage 93R17TR owner here. Threw a Nikon 4.5-14x40 scope and bipod on it, and it is a fun mini 'tactical' rifle. Have put probably 1000-1250 rounds through it. Rifle is extremely accurate with all factory ammo I have tried (though it seems to like cci/hornady best). I have managed sub-moa 5shot groups at 100 yards, and I am at best an average shooter. I love the rifle and the caliber, and it is my girlfriend's favorite rifle due to the caliber. I got it because at the time, a box of 50rds was only a couple dollars more than a 20rd box of cheap bulk .223, or a few bucks less than a 20rd box of match .223.

Only major downside is cleaning, since you will very likely need a whole new cleaning kit just for that specific caliber. Also, if you are shooting paper at 100+ yards, probably going to need some seriously powerful scope/spotting scope to see those tiny holes... Availability of ammo might be a concern, I find it is hit or miss, though more available recently.

I say go for it...its a lot of fun to shoot, and a good step-up caliber for new shooters.

Thanks to all, have a Savage 93 in 22 magnum. It's the most accurate gun I own. So it would definitely be the 17 HMR version of the 93

I have a Savage 93 with a heavy barrel and a BSA Sweet 17 scope in 17hmr, pretty fun gun to shoot and very accrete. Wind is an issue, those little rounds get pushed over easily. Hard to see you hits so I try to use those hi vis splatter type targets. At random without looking at the distances Ill set up a lane of the hi vis wood chuck targets than go to town trying to make first round hits (not to hard when the 17hmr shoots like a laser). I think the Savage 93 in 17hmr and 22mag use the same magazines so bonus since you have one already.      

Great round, regardless of what you shoot it from. I have a Cooper LVT in .17 HMR w/a Weaver T-36 scope and an Anschutz 1502D HB in .17 HM2, also Weaver equipped with a 5-20X44 both are about the most fun you can have sitting down. Yes wind can be a problem and it pays to take your cleaning equioment to the range with you. Just a ton of fun.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

I have been doing some reading lately on rim fire cartridges and some sort of rifle to shoot them through. I saw some video on the 17wsm and the 17hmr, 22wmr. It seems that the 17wsm has a little bit on both of the other two rounds.The big thing seems to be wind drift, that's where the 17wsm seems to shine.

I am trying to get a mid price range setup of scope and rifle. I like the CZ-455 but so far I haven't seen one in 17wsm and there aren't that many rifles chambered in it that I have found so far. I think that CZ has a rifle that comes with both barrels one for 17hmr and 22wmr but no 17wsm. The article linked below is a brief summary and if I find the video I watched I will edit this post to link to it.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2013/01/04/winchester-introduces-3000-fps-rimfire-cartridge/