ARNut

Guns Shops Reviews - Good and Bad

Went into Cheyenne once, saw a M&P 9mm compact and decided I wanted it. I paid in full as good faith and went to my local township for some permits. About 6 weeks later I went back with 3 permits in hand (before OGAM) and saw a sign in the window that said $50 off any new M&P handgun. I asked if I could put the 50 dollars towards the new XDM 45 and take both. The sales person said “should be fine, let me check with Dave”, ” Dave said no”. So I said forget the XDM and took the M&P only because we started filling out the permit already. Years later and a lot of guns later none were  purchased at Cheyenne Mountain Outfitters and that is a shame because they are so close to where I live.

Even back when it was Harry's....I would stop and look at stuff there, but I bought at Sportsman's Center.  I'm not quite sure why...years ago it was the attitude.  Now; I don't know....I just don't like the place. 

These days, I don't even bother stopping at Cheyenne (Harry's)...When I'm in the area, I go to Sportsman's Center. 

Even back when it was Harry's....I would stop and look at stuff there, but I bought at Sportsman's Center.  I'm not quite sure why...years ago it was the attitude.  Now; I don't know....I just don't like the place. 

These days, I don't even bother stopping at Cheyenne (Harry's)...When I'm in the area, I go to Sportsman's Center. 

Sportsman Center has been pretty good to me. I always try to stop in when passing by with some extra time.   

It would be more interesting to see if there are any gun shops which no one has any complaints about!  Even our best shops (RTSP, etc) seem to have a few detractors.  Is there any shop universally beloved without exception?

I also prefer to relate good experiences and let people decide for themselves which shops suck.

Mastodon in Vernon/Mountain Lakes is the only NJ shop I've ever been in where I did not get a load of bullshit. Joe is always up front about what he can do for you and what he can't. His gunsmith is top notch and was the only one of three who solved a slide spring problem I was having with my CZ82. You're not going to find the "World Collection" of firearms at the shop but you'll always see something interesting and ALWAYS have some good B.S. I even met a pretty girl there. Lot of good it did me.

Plus he's just a couple of miles from Cherry Ridge. You can always stop in and pretend you meant to get something fixed to avoid the felony rap.

Went into Cheyenne once, saw a M&P 9mm compact and decided I wanted it. I paid in full as good faith and went to my local township for some permits. About 6 weeks later I went back with 3 permits in hand (before OGAM) and saw a sign in the window that said $50 off any new M&P handgun. I asked if I could put the 50 dollars towards the new XDM 45 and take both. The sales person said “should be fine, let me check with Dave”, ” Dave said no”. So I said forget the XDM and took the M&P only because we started filling out the permit already. Years later and a lot of guns later none were  purchased at Cheyenne Mountain Outfitters and that is a shame because they are so close to where I live.

Just curious, if when you went back to pick up the M&P it had gone up in price by $50, would you have have paid extra for the XDM?

I can fully understand passing on the XDM, but boycotting the store forever because they stuck to the deal you both agreed to seems a bit extreme.

Just curious, if when you went back to pick up the M&P it had gone up in price by $50, would you have have paid extra for the XDM?

I can fully understand passing on the XDM, but boycotting the store forever because they stuck to the deal you both agreed to seems a bit extreme.

I paid in full for the M&P not to lock in a price (which was a bit higher than other places) but to show I was serious about the purchase with them and not just saying I’ll be back when I get permits. When I went back the pistol was on sale, why didn’t I get the sale price? Because in good faith paid in full?  And I wanted to drop more money in there store that very day. I was in retail for quite a while and we would have honored the sale price we were advertising especially if the product never left the store.  So yes if hanging Smith and Wesson M&P sales posters in your store and sending a current sales flyers to my house means you don’t have to honor the prices your promoting than we have to different beliefs on what customer service is. So I will boycott that store and spend my hard earned money else were.   

I paid in full for the M&P not to lock in a price (which was a bit higher than other places) but to show I was serious about the purchase with them and not just saying I’ll be back when I get permits. When I went back the pistol was on sale, why didn’t I get the sale price? Because in good faith paid in full?  And I wanted to drop more money in there store that very day. I was in retail for quite a while and we would have honored the sale price we were advertising especially if the product never left the store.  So yes if hanging Smith and Wesson M&P sales posters in your store and sending a current sales flyers to my house means you don’t have to honor the prices your promoting than we have to different beliefs on what customer service is. So I will boycott that store and spend my hard earned money else were.   

I can't blame you. I would expect the sale price, too. MOF, this has happened to me before, though not with guns, and if I didn't get the sale price then I walked from the sale, never to return to that store again.

Edlemans. blast from the past.  grew up in Pennsauken (im 40 now) and that place WAS my ToY store. lol.  We would go to edlemans, strattons, and another smallplace in medford (mikes).   get most ammo online. may go to sportsmnens or Cheyenne. sometimes to dicks sporting goods as I have 3 of them within 20 minutes of me.

Nick

You didn't answer my question. If you went back 6 weeks later (after having paid in full for the handgun) and the price had gone up by $50, would you have paid the extra?

Edlemans. blast from the past.  grew up in Pennsauken (im 40 now) and that place WAS my ToY store. lol.  We would go to edlemans, strattons, and another smallplace in medford (mikes).   get most ammo online. may go to sportsmnens or Cheyenne. sometimes to dicks sporting goods as I have 3 of them within 20 minutes of me.

Nick

Nick!  You've got me walking down memory lane!

Stratton's was way cool when they moved to Marlton, but I think that move overextended and eventually put them out of business.  I got a really nice Dan Wesson Pistol Pack from them.

Mike's...I really miss that place!  I used to be in there all the time.  I had yearly membership #1 when they ran the indoor pistol range in Shamong.

Nick!  You've got me walking down memory lane!

Stratton's was way cool when they moved to Marlton, but I think that move overextended and eventually put them out of business.  I got a really nice Dan Wesson Pistol Pack from them.

Mike's...I really miss that place!  I used to be in there all the time.  I had yearly membership #1 when they ran the indoor pistol range in Shamong.

I remember taking my first handgun (S&W 17 6-shot) to Stratton's on the WHP in Audubon for repairs back in the late 70's

Same time frame, I used to shoot at an indoor facility in Indian Mills (Rt 541 S of Medford) called Master Shooters.

It was up from the shotgun range and across the road, behind the owner's house.

A whole bunch of us left there in about '79 or '80 when stuff started coming back at us from the backstop.

Anyone here remember the place?

Same time frame, I used to shoot at an indoor facility in Indian Mills (Rt 541 S of Medford) called Master Shooters.

It was up from the shotgun range and across the road, behind the owner's house.

A whole bunch of us left there in about '79 or '80 when stuff started coming back at us from the backstop.

Anyone here remember the place?

Same place I was talking about. 

I'll echo what others have said about Silver Bullet in Rockaway.  I don't know anything about his supposed racism, but I didn't stick around long enough to find out.

I walked in, he glanced over the top of his newspaper (could have been a KKK newsletter :)) at me then looked back down.  I looked at a few things then asked him about his transfer fees.  He didn't verbally answer me and rudely pointed to a sign on the wall. Buh bye, asshole.

Good:
Ramsey, Roxbury - Good prices, but a lot of stuff banged around. Some guys are knuckleheads that bs too much and ignore customers. Others are great.
Andover Hunt & Fish - Good prices, Garret is a good guy and can't do enough for customer. Mom good to deal with as well. Avoid Steve with suspicious bug eyes. Hired help, except awesome Bow guy, quite useless.
Simon Peters - busy, but good experiences. Pricing could be better. Good staff.
Jim Flynn - Good prices and true enthusiast... when you can get him. No weekends. Reminds me of soup vendor on Seinfeld.

Luke warm:
Skylands - Good 2A supporter. Bad pricing. Maybe still does, but used to tack shipping cost of about $25 onto marked gun price at time of sale. Might actually need your business to stay afloat but not a people person. If you support, do business only with wife. Terry is nice and helpful. He Would have more business with better attitude and CS.

Bad:
Frank at Silver Bullet - Only caters to local LEOs. Was a complete blank and would never use, again. Sells stock you put downpayment on (wanting to use permits before expiring) and leaves you hanging) Ultra right wackadoodle, gives constitutional conservatives a bad name. Excuses for bad behavior could be low IQ or possibly post tramatic stress.

The only reason for me to step foot into Ottomanelli's is to chuckle at the pricing.

Along with the high prices, I had a small item on special order. This was just after Sandy so gas was crazy. I got the call that it was in and when I got there was informed that they sold it out from under me.

When I bought my M&P, I was at GFH trying it out. We stopped into the big "O's" for a chuckle. They had the same model M&P for $150 more than I paid out the door.

I'm just not a fan.

C

I have to agree that Ottomanelli's prices are just way too crazy. I don't think any GFH member will be buying from them.

That said, they were always helpful when I've been there. It's just too bad their prices are insane. Do they know the internet exists?

if you guys get down to Salem County stop in at County Sports in Carney's Point.

Owner has a great little business, very small (so small he limits the number of people in the shop at the same time).

But rarely have I had to wait to get in, surprising nice inventory, and if he doesn't have it, just ask, he will find it for you.

Prices can't be beat.

When you first go there, the owner is (understandably) a bit cautious of opening up, talking, etc.

I've been stopping in for a couple years now, he's loosened up, talks IDPA, CMP, 2A - and like I said,

If I'm looking for something specific I tell him, and he has always gotten back to me with it.

I also like Banger's in Winslow, Butches in Vineland, Freedom Ammo in Mantua, I shy away from Hauge's in West Depford,

But I gotta admit, never went there based in reputation alone.

You didn't answer my question. If you went back 6 weeks later (after having paid in full for the handgun) and the price had gone up by $50, would you have paid the extra?

No, I wouldn’t. I see where you’re going with this question and I don’t agree. I believe most people in the same situation would feel the way I do, they would expect the sales price because it’s being advertised and the product had not left the store meaning the sale wasn’t completed. Would most people not go back after that, I don’t know? But I’ll stand by my previous statement “ ….we have different beliefs on what customer service is.”

I needed a case of low brass 12 ga. a few years ago, back when Dicks was selling for $60 and Cabela's had a special for $50.  Cheyenne wouldn't budge on their $80 asking price, so I've NEVER been back!

Harry's was always a nice place to shop, and I've bought guns from Sportsmen's Center in the past.

Hell there aren't too many places I haven't been to, lol!  Each has its' good and bad points.  None are completely perfect, since selling guns in a huge store with a huge selection and huge overhead, at rock bottom prices is a recipe for going out of business.  So if you wanna go to a place that has limited hours, or no inventory, then you can get deals....it's merely the way business models work!

Edlemans. blast from the past.  

Loved Edelmans - used to frequent the one in Langhorne. There was also one over on Rt 309 just north of Chalfont, PA, as well as the one in Pennsauken.

Are you all aware that the owner - Leslie Edelman - is the owner of Kimber?

Sportsman Center has been pretty good to me. I always try to stop in when passing by with some extra time.   

Sportsman's Center back in the 80's was always a good store. I always preferred Sportsman's Center over Harry's. The gun guy back then was named Steve IIRC, he was very knowledgeable and just a good guy but sadly he past away. Its been a while since I've been in there, Fritz was the new gun guy last time I was in there, he's another good guy, just a perfect gentlemen and also very knowledgeable.

After Harry's changed to Cheyenne I gave them another try. I purchased used revolver from them right after the Harry's transition and did OK, then a few months later traded a long gun for another rifle and didn't do so well.  I think they are little pricy on some stuff and going forward would buy guns elsewhere...

Ah Edelman's....bought several from them when they were around.  It was sad to see them go...

Wow, Edelman's on RT130 correct?  That's going back a while for me.  I purchased my first Mini14 there back in the mid 80's. Also remember the range a little further North off RT130 I believe it was called Crossroads just across from the high school. They use to sell too, that was a fun range. We use to shoot in there pretty often..

Loved Edelmans - used to frequent the one in Langhorne. There was also one over on Rt 309 just north of Chalfont, PA, as well as the one in Pennsauken.

Are you all aware that the owner - Leslie Edelman - is the owner of Kimber?

I was unaware there was more than one. Orig was on 46 here in Wayne. Bought many guns there. Then they closed and moved to PA. Then I understand, they shut down because the father died or something like that. That's all I can recall. They had a great store.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk