ARNut

Guns Shops Reviews - Good and Bad

Yes, his name is Jim Flynn.

altho he was the only shop within a 100 miles to have the hg I was looking for didnt appreciate the last second hidden $10 handling fee worked into the paperwork. only 10 but was annoying.

The only reason for me to step foot into Ottomanelli's is to chuckle at the pricing.

Along with the high prices, I had a small item on special order. This was just after Sandy so gas was crazy. I got the call that it was in and when I got there was informed that they sold it out from under me.

When I bought my M&P, I was at GFH trying it out. We stopped into the big "O's" for a chuckle. They had the same model M&P for $150 more than I paid out the door.

I'm just not a fan.

C

I agree.

Is there any shop universally beloved without exception?

When I lived closer, I would say that Caso's in Jersey City comes very close.

Always pleasant people behind the counter.

They may not have a huge selection or the most rock-bottom prices, but credit has to be given for a business to be around for as long as they have in a city that would do just about anything to get rid of them.

• Like 1

Effingers and Sportsman rendezvous high prices and bad attitude and stupid store policies that they claim is NJ law (ie you need to show a pistol permit in order to even hold a handgun) . I mostly use a family friend who is a kitchen table FFL but if he is not available I use Jim Flynn.

Bullethole - I've purchased guns from there before but never at a deal. If there is ever more than one customer in the shop, their customer service turns to shit. Their "service" department (gunsmith) is incredibly slow, even if all they have to do is ship a firearm back to the manufacturer for repairs.

Silver Bullet - The owner has a unique attitude towards everyone who is not a specific ethnicity. His prices aren't great, but they're not bad at times. I've also purchased guns from him before. My transactions with him stopped after the time he told me that purchasing an H&K 416 Pistol .22 LR was completely NJ legal because it was a .22 and it didn't matter that it was over the weight limit and it didn't matter that it had a quad rail.

Ottomanelis - No complaints about service but their prices are ridiculous.

Actually I think we have a lot more now then we had 15 years ago when I bought my first gun.

As and example from data here: http://www.atf.gov/content/firearms/firearms-industry/listing-FFLs

In 2010 we had 300-ish FFLs in NJ, we now have just shy of 400.

At least something is going in the right direction.

Looks like PA has over 3,000. Not only is firearm ownership so much higher, but we have about 30% more people (small affect) but a larger geographic area to be served. Plus there are 6 guys working out of their garages within 10 miles of me that I know of, and much less of that in NJ.

And oddly all these folks are in business as if somehow they had customers. Probably because they do. In my experience every gun shop has its flaws, sometimes big ones, but also are still in the business of selling guns and stuff and do try to make customers happy. Granted, some are aimed at the dumber customer, some are aimed at the more savvy customer, but so far no shop I've seen is 100% horrible, and no shop I've seen is 100% awesome. Every place will have its fans and detractors and that's ok. Some people won't eat at McD some will eat nothing but.

I agree with you.  I guess my purpose for starting this thread was to highlight the really bad shops.  Shops that won't go out of their way for the customer.  Shops that aren't only aimed at one type of customer but are aimed at making a killing for themselves only.  This can always be seen by very high prices, higher prices for ordering what isn't in stock and no customer service at all.  Although most shops fit in your description there are still a handfull in this state that will plain old rip you off.  Luckily one of them was closed because they didn't pay their taxes. You would never want to place an order there. 

I've heard tons of complaints about silver bullet but Frank has never treated me wrong. Im definitely not of the same ethnic background as him and he's always taken the time to talk shop and chat about guns whenever I make the trip out there. Usually either before or after going to RTSP...

I think a lot of shops get understandably impatient with window shoppers. Guys who take up tons of time and walk out not buying anything.

there are still a handfull in this state that will plain old rip you off.  

Sort of agree, but at least one of the "bad shops" listed in this thread is a place I've bought plenty of stuff from because they were good deals. That shop is often overpriced if you look at the new items in the case, but I've also picked up a pre '64 Win 94 with minimal wear for $200 there, because sometimes they have good deal like that. So while most people might think the prices there are universally bad, I have no problem going in and shopping around because I know sometimes the prices are fantastically good. 

Come to think of it .. maybe I should encourage people to not shop there so I can get all the deals to myself :)

BelleplIn Supply. High prices and poor attitude.

I second that. I went in to look at handguns and he told me that I needed a 12ga north of $1,200. When I told him that my wife couldn't handle a shotgun if she needed to, he told me to get a new wife. I walked.

The only reason for me to step foot into Ottomanelli's is to chuckle at the pricing.

Along with the high prices, I had a small item on special order. This was just after Sandy so gas was crazy. I got the call that it was in and when I got there was informed that they sold it out from under me.

When I bought my M&P, I was at GFH trying it out. We stopped into the big "O's" for a chuckle. They had the same model M&P for $150 more than I paid out the door.

I'm just not a fan.

C

I'm not a fan of them either. Over priced on everything they have in the store. Don't remember the skinny kids  name who works there but he rubbed me the wrong way a couple of times.

I purchased one hand gun from them and quite a few accessories when they first opened. I havent been in that place in a long time nor will i ever.

Frank at silver bullet is a bit of a prick regardless of your ethnicity . I have bought a few things from him as well but havent been there in 2 years.

Once i get the i don't have time for you attitude you lose my business for good.

Meltzers has been pretty good with me when i purchased there ,never any problems.

All I can contribute are places that have closed already

Englistown Sporting Goods by Dave Maxham

Manny & Marys Rt 36 keyport area

Herman Treptows, Milltown

The last range I visited was Ray`s Sport shop, Rt 22.

Best place for powder and shop talk, Garden State Armory

I think a lot of shops get understandably impatient with window shoppers. Guys who take up tons of time and walk out not buying anything.

There's a shop that has a sign that reads "we'll show a couple of guns. We'll not show you them all" or something to that effect.

I thought it was funny.

And they are right. A window shopper doesn't just annoy the storekeeper but also annoys everybody else standing in line that already knows what he wants.

Holly crap .. I bough my first gun there buy I forgot they exited.

Me too, back in 1995. A S&W 686 No dash. It was all such a mystery then. I paid a stupid price for it if I remember correctly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Meltzers has been pretty good with me when i purchased there ,never any problems.

I forgot about Meltzers. Awesome bunch of guys. I bought a rifle from them. They were about $15 over what I could buy it for elsewhere but they're close to home and they usually have a good selection of used handguns so I stop there often.

Another awesome place I frequent but haven't had a chance to buy a gun from is Luciano's Gun Shop in Garfield. Not a huge selection but is very willing to help locate pretty much anything.

I always liked Edelman's at the Airport Circle ...

wait ... damn ... did I get out of the DeLorean in the wrong year again??

Seriously ... the closest thing these days is Tanners on the free side of the Delaware River in Jamison PA

Back wall filled with long guns and glass display cases full of handguns running half the length of the store

Both new and used

Been there on a Saturday to pick up .22 ammo and the crowd was 6 deep on every counter.

Seriously ... the closest thing these days is Tanners on the free side of the Delaware River in Jamison PA

Back wall filled with long guns and glass display cases full of handguns running half the length of the store

Both new and used

Been there on a Saturday to pick up .22 ammo and the crowd was 6 deep on every counter.

I try and get there every time I work in PA.  It is always busy but I never wait that long, and their regular prices on ammo is usually very good.  

Both new and used

Ah Edelman's....bought several from them when they were around.  It was sad to see them go...

I'll not be visiting the Butthole again. Crap attitude, even after the sale. Garden State Armory I've had nothing but good times at. Heritage Guild in Rahway depends who you get. I've been treated great there and then treated like an amateur practically shamed for asking if they had a particular brand in stock or could get it. I won't go there nowadays unless it's something I need immediately and they're the closest gun accessories store.

Yes....  Caso's never did me wrong.....  Lisa is great.... 

agree. bought my first pistol there, very nice people.

Cheyenne Outfitters- been in there a few times. after about a 30 minute wait to talk to someone their staff was less than friendly and made the experience less than enjoyable.

Now with that all being said, since i have been in touch with Steve at Monmouth Arms, and about a dozen or so transactions later i will  not go anywhere else!

Cheyenne Outfitters- been in there a few times. after about a 30 minute wait to talk to someone their staff was less than friendly and made the experience less than enjoyable.

Now with that all being said, since i have been in touch with Steve at Monmouth Arms, and about a dozen or so transactions later i will  not go anywhere else!

Steve is the best.  If you do ever go back to Cheyenne ask for Omar, he is great to work with.

I am pleased to not see any NJGF vendors on this list.... Especially me :)

All Kidding aside it just reinforces the quality of NJGF vendors and members!

Guess I'm the black sheep. Had a pretty shitty experience with a vendor here. Nothing life or death but a lot of wasted time on my end. my experience with you was good though.

All the negative talk about bullet hole and I had a excellent experience with him. He even commented how he's never seen someone check off 3 ethnicities on one transaction lol.

Heritage branchburg has been hit or miss for me. Good and bad.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Went into Cheyenne once, saw a M&P 9mm compact and decided I wanted it. I paid in full as good faith and went to my local township for some permits. About 6 weeks later I went back with 3 permits in hand (before OGAM) and saw a sign in the window that said $50 off any new M&P handgun. I asked if I could put the 50 dollars towards the new XDM 45 and take both. The sales person said “should be fine, let me check with Dave”, ” Dave said no”. So I said forget the XDM and took the M&P only because we started filling out the permit already. Years later and a lot of guns later none were  purchased at Cheyenne Mountain Outfitters and that is a shame because they are so close to where I live.