ARNut

Guns Shops Reviews - Good and Bad

I'll give him a visit whenever I have my permits, and follow up how he is with Hispanic customers. To add to the thread...Caso's is awesome and as mentioned Lisa is great. I don't mind not getting the lowest price because their customer service is worth spending my money there, if only they were closer.

Steve from Monmouth Arms is awesome (even though I've never actually purchased something through him). Heritage Guild in Rahway is kinda meh. Prices are pretty high and some employees are sort of rude, others are pretty cool. I guess it doesn't help that they're the only (or one of the only) shop(s) in rapidly-anti-gun-and-fascist-as-hell Union County.

• Like 1

A good store that I very highly recommend is the Garden State Armory in Warren. It is an extremely small store, owned & operated by a retired Warren PD officer. They do have a good selection of handguns in their display cases, & also some rifles & shotguns, as well as reloading equipment. I go there periodically, & last summer I purchased a Ruger 10/22 rifle. The owner & other guys working there are all very friendly & will certainly try to get you anything that you may need. I always recommend them to anyone.  

My wife and I were at GSA for the first time back in January. I went there to pick up a few pounds of powder and the wife found a 15-22 she fell in love with and had to buy. The guys behind the counter were very friendly. I highly recommend you take a ride there.

Hey all, this is my first post on your forums.  I just signed up because I recently purchased my first AR-15, and this thread immediately caught my eye.

I purchased my rifle from Bob's Little Sport Shop in Glassboro, NJ - and these guys are GREAT!  Shot there with my dad as a kid, they were awesome then and still are.

HOWEVER!  One of my first visits was to Hagues Indoor Range in West Deptford, NJ...  And these guys are...  How can I put this nicely...  An embarrassment to the world of firearms.  Prices are astronomical to say the least...  I purchased an M&P15 from Bob's for $719, Hagues wanted $895 for the same exact gun.  I *had* to take my new rifle here to fire it because Bob's doesn't allow rifle rounds in their range.  They charged me a whopping $40 for an hour (Which i thought was insane...) on the range.  I purchased 2 50-count boxes of .223 from Bob's for $26 each, Hagues wanted $16 for a box of 20!!  I bought one box of 5.56 just to see if there's a difference between 2.23 and 5.56...  About 40 rounds in the dude comes back with a bad attitude and says, "I know you shot more than 20 rounds, you can't use your own ammo here.", and proceeded to be very arrogant and condescending about it and insisted I buy more of their ammo or leave... Finally he tells me if I purchase a membership I can use my own ammo.  At that point I was pretty disgusted with the place, but I inquired as to how much a years membership would be... $400.  Four hundred dollars to shoot overpriced ammo at a 20-yard max range that's barely open 8 hours a day and be glared at by a dude in a window the entire time.  Oh yeah, I forgot to mention, this dude stared at me for a solid 20 minutes through their little observation window.  

I'll be going to Banger's range and paying $250 for a membership at an outdoor range with a 25, 50, 100 and 300 yard range that's open 364 days of the year.

I had to share this as my first post.  These dudes are complete jerks.  All my firearm owning friends always told me to stay away from there, and now I know why.

• Like 1

Hey all, this is my first post on your forums.  I just signed up because I recently purchased my first AR-15, and this thread immediately caught my eye.

I purchased my rifle from Bob's Little Sport Shop in Glassboro, NJ - and these guys are GREAT!  Shot there with my dad as a kid, they were awesome then and still are.

HOWEVER!  One of my first visits was to Hagues Indoor Range in West Deptford, NJ...  And these guys are...  How can I put this nicely...  An embarrassment to the world of firearms.  Prices are astronomical to say the least...  I purchased an M&P15 from Bob's for $719, Hagues wanted $895 for the same exact gun.  I *had* to take my new rifle here to fire it because Bob's doesn't allow rifle rounds in their range.  They charged me a whopping $40 for an hour (Which i thought was insane...) on the range.  I purchased 2 50-count boxes of .223 from Bob's for $26 each, Hagues wanted $16 for a box of 20!!  I bought one box of 5.56 just to see if there's a difference between 2.23 and 5.56...  About 40 rounds in the dude comes back with a bad attitude and says, "I know you shot more than 20 rounds, you can't use your own ammo here.", and proceeded to be very arrogant and condescending about it and insisted I buy more of their ammo or leave... Finally he tells me if I purchase a membership I can use my own ammo.  At that point I was pretty disgusted with the place, but I inquired as to how much a years membership would be... $400.  Four hundred dollars to shoot overpriced ammo at a 20-yard max range that's barely open 8 hours a day and be glared at by a dude in a window the entire time.  Oh yeah, I forgot to mention, this dude stared at me for a solid 20 minutes through their little observation window.  

I'll be going to Banger's range and paying $250 for a membership at an outdoor range with a 25, 50, 100 and 300 yard range that's open 364 days of the year.

I had to share this as my first post.  These dudes are complete jerks.  All my firearm owning friends always told me to stay away from there, and now I know why.

SJSC (South Jersey Shooting Club) is great, totally worth the $250 a year and of course you can shoot your own ammo. Plus you can guest people for $15 and no hourly charge.

Sorry you had to deal with those idiots

SJSC (South Jersey Shooting Club) is great, totally worth the $250 a year and of course you can shoot your own ammo. Plus you can guest people for $15 and no hourly charge.

Sorry you had to deal with those idiots

I second that, been a member for a few years..... well worth the hour drive

Ramsey's is Ledgewood chips, scratches and bangs the chit out of its stock of firearms.  Their process of taking them in and out of the cases every day sure has its toll on those firearms. 

I would rather know;  Where to go for fair prices and Reliable Service.  Sometimes The Cheapest is just that.   Griffen & Howe is over priced. Unless You believe you get what you pay for.  Can the great guy fix your new gun?   Sometimes paying more means that you get after the sale service that Walmart can't provide.

I would rather know;  Where to go for fair prices and Reliable Service.  Sometimes The Cheapest is just that.   Griffen & Howe is over priced. Unless You believe you get what you pay for.  Can the great guy fix your new gun?   Sometimes paying more means that you get after the sale service that Walmart can't provide.

Honestly, if you are buying NIB and it's a reputable brand it should be covered under warranty. I've had Ruger, Marlin, Remington, Winchester and Colt repair out-of-warranty firearms at no cost (except shipping).

Of course the shipping time to and from the factory (yes, repaired firearms are returned directly no FFL) varies...Marlin did a 39a for me and had it back in 8 days and Colt did my HBAR (had a damaged sight) and took about 3 weeks...Ruger took about a month for a 10/22 to be returned.

Best to learn to strip your new acquisition and call the manufacturer for parts, Glock, S&W and Ruger have sent me parts at no cost before but if it's something no longer produced I head to Gun Parts Corp.

I really see no need to spend more for customer service on major brands and stock guns IMO but if you want it fixed pronto go local..

By the way guys the new store name is Centaur firearms. Owners name is Eric and he's an awesome guy! Has a bunch of old military weapons and is a master gun smith. He was the armor on base for a long time and was the smith at ready aim fire for some time. I just put his sign up today and he'll be open in about a week. I'll be giving him a hand setting up and getting adjusted to social media as well as maybe working some nights there.

Was just in there today (Friday before Labor Day)...they're still setting-up the place, but WOW the stuff he has!  Was tempted by several items, but had to get back to work (stopped by over lunch).  The owner and the couple of guys he had helping him were all very personable and more than willing to help, show you stuff, or just talk guns.  I didn't even get a chance to look at the gunsmithing tools/equipment he was setting up.  I'll definitely be back.

Was just in there today (Friday before Labor Day)...they're still setting-up the place, but WOW the stuff he has! Was tempted by several items, but had to get back to work (stopped by over lunch). The owner and the couple of guys he had helping him were all very personable and more than willing to help, show you stuff, or just talk guns. I didn't even get a chance to look at the gunsmithing tools/equipment he was setting up. I'll definitely be back.

I'll have to check it out. Too close to me not to.

Got my first rifle and first transfer at Andover Hunt and Fish. Its a great store with really good inventory for its size and the owner, Garret, is one of the friendliest people around. Actually, the entire staff is very friendly. I went in to get info on guns and rifles when I got my FID and he just bent over backwards answering all my noob questions without ridicule. He explained his store policy and said if I ever had any issues with any new firearm priced at his store, I could just bring it back and he would take care of sending it back for warranty.

I got my 10/22 takedown there. He showed me the rifle, how to take it apart and reassemble. He let me play with it and didn't rush my decision. The entire process took about 30 minutes including paperwork and nics . I also had a transfer of a Smith & Wesson M&P22 which was also flawless.

This Is just an excellent store with great customer service. I will definitely be buying more guns from there. Check it out.

For ammo I usually purchase online, P&K Firearms, or I'll pop in Shooters in Little Egg Harbor if I'm desperate.

For transfers and all FFL related - I use TJSportingArms and no one else. He's 10/10. Nice guy, reasonable prices and always calls back in a timely manner if he doesn't answer.

P&K Firearms in downtown Manahawkin (Stafford Twp.) is also good for guns. It's a small shop but the owner and few staff he has there are all friendly. Prices are definitely good. I've bought a long gun and a decent amount of ammo from them. Sometimes I'll just stop by to see what they've got. I'm all for supporting small businesses and when they are friendly and helpful it always makes it a better experience so 10/10. 

Howell Gun Works I've used for some gunsmith work and they've got a good crew there as well with pretty good prices on everything from what I've seen.   

• Like 1

I have also recently been to Huges

Welcome. I've been Hagues recently also...prices on guns were $100-200 more than anywhere else. Ammo prices also, and u have to shoot what you buy there....long story short I was not impressed with customer service at all, not bad just not extraordinary...but it cost me like $130 to shoot some 12G for an hour....looking into joining somewhere soon also..

Bangers or SJ

As far as purchases.. R&R in Somers Point is a mile away from me...I drive by there (sign says closed about 24/7/365 anyway) about 40 min and have the best experience EVERY time, and everyone I have sent does as well... Whittaker Arms in Folsom. Jim is great ! Pm me if you can't find it and I'll link you up...no website, or advertisement and not well known..

Edlemans. blast from the past.  grew up in Pennsauken (im 40 now) and that place WAS my ToY store. lol.  We would go to edlemans, strattons, and another smallplace in medford (mikes).   get most ammo online. may go to sportsmnens or Cheyenne. sometimes to dicks sporting goods as I have 3 of them within 20 minutes of me.

Nick

We would leave school early and swing through Medford. Pick up as many of those little brown boxes of SS109 Port as we could carry and head out to the sand pits. This was before the Darkness of mag limits and gun bans. The stuff was 5 cents a round and we were probably being ripped off at that price.

Not sure if they are added but Howell Gun works and the owner / partner Tom are awesome hands down.....

I bought my M&P Shield there a few weeks ago, the price was right and great service.  

We would leave school early and swing through Medford. Pick up as many of those little brown boxes of SS109 Port as we could carry and head out to the sand pits. This was before the Darkness of mag limits and gun bans. The stuff was 5 cents a round and we were probably being ripped off at that price.

I worked at Edelman's in Wayne when I was in HS.  

I have also recently been to Huges

Welcome. I've been Hagues recently also...prices on guns were $100-200 more than anywhere else. Ammo prices also, and u have to shoot what you buy there....long story short I was not impressed with customer service at all, not bad just not extraordinary...but it cost me like $130 to shoot some 12G for an hour....looking into joining somewhere soon also..

Bangers or SJ

As far as purchases.. R&R in Somers Point is a mile away from me...I drive by there (sign says closed about 24/7/365 anyway) about 40 min and have the best experience EVERY time, and everyone I have sent does as well... Whittaker Arms in Folsom. Jim is great ! Pm me if you can't find it and I'll link you up...no website, or advertisement and not well known..

I agree, Jim will treat you right!!