Sign in to follow this  
NYMetsFan86

Renting in FL and NFA weapons...

So I have been traveling to FL 7 days a month for work and we are getting busy. So, I will be renting a condo and was wondering where I would find info explaining if and how I can get NFA weapons like a silencer or SBR's. Do you need to reside in the state or just have a residence/dwelling?

Yea ive been searching online and i cannot find any info on having a DL or proof of residence. oh well.....at least i can have regular mags down there

If you reside there for one day then you are a resident for ATF/FFL purposes, the day you are there. No DL/Primary Residence/residency period/Etc. required.

You have to convince the FFL you are residing in FL at the time you make the purchase. Some FFLs will say "no problem" and some won't want to bother or don't even know how it works. Obviously you have to reside there when you go back to pick it up as well.

You can also buy private FTF with no FFL involvement for an existing NFA item in FL. Or you can file a Form 1 directly to ATF from your FL address and build the NFA item yourself, again with no FFL involvement.

None of what I said considers FL law (which I am unfamiliar with) and I am not a lawyer anyway. But that should be enough to decide whether or not you want to look into it further.

If you reside there for one day then you are a resident for ATF/FFL purposes, the day you are there. No DL/Primary Residence/residency period/Etc. required.

You have to convince the FFL you are residing in FL at the time you make the purchase. Some FFLs will say "no problem" and some won't want to bother or don't even know how it works. Obviously you have to reside there when you go back to pick it up as well.

You can also buy private FTF with no FFL involvement for an existing NFA item in FL. Or you can file a Form 1 directly to ATF from your FL address and build the NFA item yourself, again with no FFL involvement.

None of what I said considers FL law (which I am unfamiliar with) and I am not a lawyer anyway. But that should be enough to decide whether or not you want to look into it further.

That was great information, thank you. Cannot afford a full auto so this would be to build an sbr and eventually get another stamp for a silencer down the road. I'll look into florida laws concerning class II and the other problem will be that my tools and workbench are in NJ. So attaching a short barrel to a stripped upper would probably be a no no or I can do it at my friends house in PA and ship to apartment....

It all honestly sounds annoying and expensive, also i'd be nervous im filling something out wrong or omitting somthing. I dont really have much to benefit from having an SBR anyway, so maybe I will just enjoy the crap i cant have here