louu

I Sold Out...

I always talked down about anything that wasn't a 1911but for some reason a Glock 34 followed me home last night. Well not really... I want a 2011 but the price tag on them things is insane. I reached this for a while because I wanted a pistol to use for 3 gun. The gen 4 34 seemed to be the best deal. I also wanted a 9mm for steel because the .45 was really slowing me down. 

20150211_055306_zpsdqvjrnnd.jpg

I got it from Wittaker arms in Hammonton. I dont think any one in NJ will beat his deal on anything. Give him a call and tell him I sent you. This gun also has 15 round mags thanks to him.

I have a few questions. If I decide to use this for USPSA what class do I have to shoot and where should the mag pouches be placed on my belt?

In USPSA your best bet would be production (division not class, btw) because 9mm will be scored minor. You'll need 2 more mags then shown in that pic, and in production you do have to have them behind the front of your hip bones (which isn't actually behind your hip)

The positioning for production is actually the same I use for 3gun anyway, because I want rifle mag pouches in front of the pistol ones anyway, plus shotgun stuff. 

I wouldn't be too worried about mag pouches and all that stuff -- It won't be around long -- It's not a 1911 and you'll know it

Yeah yeah I know let the hazing begin lol

Congrats I like it alot, I have been thinking about a long-fullsize Glock myself, in 9 or possibly .40 ... very nice.

Check out the 35, its a .40 and you can get a conversion barrel to make it a 9.

In USPSA your best bet would be production (division not class, btw) because 9mm will be scored minor. You'll need 2 more mags then shown in that pic, and in production you do have to have them behind the front of your hip bones (which isn't actually behind your hip)

The positioning for production is actually the same I use for 3gun anyway, because I want rifle mag pouches in front of the pistol ones anyway, plus shotgun stuff. 

Thanks Vlad, 
I have 3 more mags on the way.
So production is the same rules as single stack?
Can I use one of those one piece pouches that hold 4 mags, 2 on the inside and 2 onthe outside staggered?

I've got a Gen 3 34 and love it.  As others have said, run it in Production Minor.  Great gun for that purpose.

Thanks man

Great gun. I have a Gen 4 and love it.  Points very naturally and an easy shooter. 

Definitely,  I spent a few minutes drawing with it last night and it seems to get on target pretty quick.

BOOOOOOOOO!

Yup

So production is the same rules as single stack?
Can I use one of those one piece pouches that hold 4 mags, 2 on the inside and 2 onthe outside staggered?

Sort of. Production can use drop and offset holsters, SS can't but other wise yes the locations of stuff are very similar. You can use those mag pouches as long as the outside mags are no further then 1.5" from your body (i think thats the distance).  Personally I don't like the staggered mags because they require different hand position, but to each his own. 

Thanks again Vlad.

Range report, yup already.

I shot 50 rounds of xtreme 147 RN with 3.3gn of titegroup at 1.15 OAL. No problems at all performance wise, runs perfect. Its a snappy pistol though and it kinda hurts my fingers with that huge trigger guard. I'm going to try to load a little lighter and see  what happens.

The sights are okay for now but took a little getting use to, probably going to change them. The elevation was dead on right out of the box but the windage needed a little tweeking. I ran out of ammo before I got it perfect. 

Its kinda cool having 15 round mags insead of 8 but they are alot harder to load.

All in all I think its a keeper... mighnt have to grind that trigger guard a little if thats legal in production but I'm pretty sure Ill stick to the 1911 for USPSA.

Welcome to the dark side Lou.  I love my 34.  You can use it in Production or Limited Minor.  For Production it's the same limitation on mag pouch placement as single stack (behind hip bone) and the rule is all gear must be within 2" of the inside of your belt, those quad mag pouches are probably legal, but they would suck for quick mag changes.  Much better off with 5 single mag pouches. 

Yes the sights suck, get Dawson fiber optics.  Grinding down the trigger guard area (or anywhere else) is not legal for Production.

Thanks again Vlad.

Range report, yup already.

I shot 50 rounds of xtreme 147 RN with 3.3gn of titegroup at 1.15 OAL. No problems at all performance wise, runs perfect. Its a snappy pistol though and it kinda hurts my fingers with that huge trigger guard. I'm going to try to load a little lighter and see what happens.

The sights are okay for now but took a little getting use to, probably going to change them. The elevation was dead on right out of the box but the windage needed a little tweeking. I ran out of ammo before I got it perfect.

Its kinda cool having 15 round mags insead of 8 but they are alot harder to load.

All in all I think its a keeper... mighnt have to grind that trigger guard a little if thats legal in production but I'm pretty sure Ill stick to the 1911 for USPSA.

How bad, and in what direction, was the windage off?

It may not be the windage but the shooter. It is common for new Glock shooters to push rounds to their support side - ie: right hand shooters push rounds consistently left and vice-versa. This is especially common for shooters coming from a single stack platform. Next time you hit the range, shoot from a solid isosceles stance, while fully locking out the elbows and concentrate on isolating the trigger finger from the pistol. You may need to use a little less finger on the trigger.

Also the standard Glock U-Dot plastic sights are not meant to remain. They are merely "placeholders" and meant to be replaced ASAP by the sights of your choosing.

Good luck with it. The G34/35 are my favorite guns in the Glock lineup.

Thanks Russell.

How bad, and in what direction, was the windage off?

It may not be the windage but the shooter. It is common for new Glock shooters to push rounds to their support side - ie: right hand shooters push rounds consistently left and vice-versa. This is especially common for shooters coming from a single stack platform. Next time you hit the range, shoot from a solid isosceles stance, while fully locking out the elbows and concentrate on isolating the trigger finger from the pistol. You may need to use a little less finger on the trigger.

Also the standard Glock U-Dot plastic sights are not meant to remain. They are merely "placeholders" and meant to be replaced ASAP by the sights of your choosing.

Good luck with it. The G34/35 are my favorite guns in the Glock lineup.

Yes I was shooting left, 4-6 inches at 20 yards. I think you are absolutely right. I was comparing the two pistols and the Glock is completely different.  The trigger is way lower and my index finger has to angle downward as compaired to the 1911 my index finger is straight to the trigger. Also the ergonomics of the trigger pulling upwards compared to the 1911 pressing straight back. 

Gotta get practice with it and better sights.

3.3 of titegroup behind a 147 already sounds pretty light ? Did you chrono the rounds ?

I don't do much 9mm, but u have a batch loaded up with 147s with 3.6 of titegroup and I recall them being about 130 power factor for uspsa.

No I dont have a chrono. This is the load I make for my girls 1911 and it shoots like a 22. I kinda figured it was a little on the light side. 

Get one of these if you're not already using one. Loads my Glock mags much faster than the bogus mag loader the gun comes with.

http://www.maglula.com/product/uplula-9mm-to-45acp/