Fallen Knight

Buying Banned Assault Rifle and Hi-Cap Mags Out of State

Hi All,

Been a while since I posted, I've happily relocated to PA for dental school. However, at some point I will be moving back to Nazi Jersey. Quick question, after I move back to NJ, could I still buy an "evil" weapon, and just keep it in a locker out of state? Or will I always have to comply with NJ's bogus list as long as I'm an NJ resident? Also, could I still buy hi cap mags out of state, say if I'm visiting FL and keep all of this in a locker, or other rental property out of state? Thanks a ton for your time, my sincerest apologies if this has been posted. Cheers!

What you own out of state is none of NJ's business. However with long guns by federal law you can purchase out of state but must meet the requirements of both the selling state and NJ. So good luck trying to buy a NJ "assault weapon" out of state.  What you build out of state and kept out of state is none of NJ's business either! Ya hafta think a little about that last statement.

You can keep any New Jersey banned firearm or magazine over 15 rounds in any state its legal if you're in New Jersey resident. Friends of mine moved their "assault weapons" out of state when the ban went into effect. How you acquire these things is a different story. You've relocated to PA so I guess you have a PA dl. Just go and buy what you want. If you still have a NJ dl a dealer really can't sell you a banned in NJ gun. Most places will just sell you magazines although I've heard some dealers in PA won't sell a NJ resident magazines over 15 rds. You could order magazines from anywhere and have them shipped to your PA address.

Remember NJ law basically stops at its borders. The one exception is if you buy a long gun from a dealer it needs to be NJ compliant.

Remember NJ law basically stops at its borders. The one exception is if you buy a long gun from a dealer it needs to be NJ compliant.

Does it need to be NJ compliant by law? As I understand, the transaction must meet NJ procedures, but there isn't any law that an item must comply with NJ restrictions.

If you can legally purchase a weapon in another state, and you then

legally own said weapon - you can keep it in any location that said

weapon is legal. (ie: Penn, Texas, Bum Fuck Egypt, ect.) as long as

you do not bring it into NJ in a non-compliant form.

Example, some customers have dual residency (say NJ & Fla.) they

can have hi cap mags in Fla, and low caps in NJ - no issues.

just don't bring the illegal stuff here and your good to go.........

Have fun!

If you buy it in PA as an NJ resident it must be an NJ compliant firearm if the FFL follows the law (and knows what he is doing). If you buy it in PA as a PA resident then you can buy any damn thing you want. Keep in mind, "residency" can be in multiple states as far as ATF is concerned. You could "reside" in PA for 1 day this year and you could buy firearms in PA as a PA resident. "reside" does not mean "visiting," and you have to find an FFL that you can convince you are a resident that day. Have to do your own homework because I have never done this.

http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx?rgn=div8&node=27:3.0.1.2.3.2.1.1

Title 27: Alcohol, Tobacco Products and Firearms
PART 478—COMMERCE IN FIREARMS AND AMMUNITION
Subpart B—Definitions
§478.11   Meaning of terms.

State of residence. The State in which an individual resides. An individual resides in a State if he or she is present in a State with the intention of making a home in that State. If an individual is on active duty as a member of the Armed Forces, the individual's State of residence is the State in which his or her permanent duty station is located, as stated in 18 U.S.C. 921(b). The following are examples that illustrate this definition:

Example 1. A maintains a home in State X. A travels to State Y on a hunting, fishing, business, or other type of trip. A does not become a resident of State Y by reason of such trip.
Example 2. A maintains a home in State X and a home in State Y. A resides in State X except for weekends or the summer months of the year and in State Y for the weekends or the summer months of the year. During the time that A actually resides in State X, A is a resident of State X, and during the time that A actually resides in State Y, A is a resident of State Y.