DargZ

Rifle bullet heads - Where to buy?

Where do people usually buy the bullet heads? I picked up some Hornady Match heads in 75 gr and 68 gr while at Cabelas so I can start loading 223 rounds. It's not economical to purchase them by the 100 pack so I started thinking bulk packs.

I'd like to get some of the Hornady bulk 223 in 55gr for regular plinking. I'm also looking to reload for 308 as well as 300 blackout. Any ideas on where to get them would be helpful.

Midway sells the Hornady bulk 223 but the other stuff is in 100 packs.

I've heard mixed reviews of the X-treme's when it comes to accuracy. The universal go to bullet right now is bulk 55gr Hornady's (either FMJ or SP). The are consistent, cheap, and if your gun likes them they can be match grade accurate. If you buy them 1000 at a time they'll end up being less then $100 shipped  (usually around $84 plus shipping) and if you buy a lot (like 6000 to split with people or for yourself) they get to be down to about $75/1000 plus shipping. 

If you shop around for sales and free shipping and so on, you can get very good deals on them. 

Not to pick on DargZ, but when and why did half the known universe start referring to 'bullets' as 'bullet heads'? Drives me nuts.

I started reloading in the early 70s. Many were referring to bullets as bullet heads then. I think this was done as many used the word bullet for what is more properly called a cartridge or round of ammunition. Just my guess.

Not to pick on DargZ, but when and why did half the known universe start referring to 'bullets' as 'bullet heads'? Drives me nuts.

After the bajillionth time calling them bullets as they properly should be resulted in wasting a noticable amount of time because most of the population got used to calling a cartridge a bullet. 

As for where?  wideners, graf and sons, midway, midsouth shooters supply, nereloading, etc. 

midsouth and midway get most of my orders for standard stocked stuff in that order. nereloading has been doing well for me for pull downs and other interesting and odd stuff, with wideners in the number 2 spot for that. grafs I price check and inventory check when things are out, but they usually don't win the cross shopping competition. 

Thanks, I'm still learning but will call it what it is moving forward.  I actually don't call the completed round a bullet.  

At least he didn't call them " boolits "

I like the term "boolits".  I think this may pass the company email filter.

Thanks for all the sites.

Midway has the bulk Hornady 223 at $83.99 per 1000.  They have free shipping on orders over $150 that are not on sale.  Unfortunately, the bullets are on sale.  I would get their 30 caliber bullets but their price is $4 higher for every box of 100 which will wind up more than free shipping.

Interesting that most of the other sites are sold out on the 30 caliber bullets I'm interested in.

I just went to cabelas online and it's $5 flat rate on 99.  A lot of the good hornady bullets are on sale.  I stocked up before christmas but bought a few more things thins morning because of the shipping and sale price.